Where do you shoot? - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Where do you shoot?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:04 AM

We are trying to get a feel for what ranges our members use.  This information could be helpful in the future to establish a meeting point for LIF shoots.

List your favorite range and an alternate that you had attended (if still open) or an alternate that you would consider going to.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 dv0042

dv0042

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 2143 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 11:48 AM

I frequent the Nassau range at Mitchell Field.  I will occasionally head out to LI Shooting Range in Brookhaven...that's a nice set-up, although the range officers tend to be a bit cranky.  It's a good place for skeet and trap shooting if anyone is so inclined.  There's also the LI Shooting Center in Islip...I've never been to that place, but it might be a good "half-way" meeting spot for everybody.  That way nobody has to drag themselves ALL the way out east or into western Nassau.

#3 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:26 PM

I will occasionally head out to LI Shooting Range in Brookhaven...that's a nice set-up, although the range officers tend to be a bit cranky.  It's a good place for skeet and trap shooting if anyone is so inclined.  There's also the LI Shooting Center in Islip...I've never been to that place, but it might be a good "half-way" meeting spot for everybody

+1 on the bit cranky. Unfortunately,  I think they have to be a bit rigid due to the high volume of newbies.  I do agree that they tend to go a bit over the top from time to time.  I had gone to LISC many times years ago when it was under different ownership.  It is a small indoor range and was not well lighted.  

The beautiful thing about Brookhaven is the diversity.  Pistol and rifle up to 200 yards in addition to skeet/trap.    Your choice at Brookhaven.  Range fees are currently $18.00 for non resident.

#4 ViperJon

ViperJon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 997 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 04:49 PM

The range officers do have to be very watchful, but the good ones can walk the line between being helpful and considerate to the customers while an authoritative presence and just being a condescending quasi-prison guard in their own little kingdom. You know the type, who think everybody is a threat and need to understand the "power" of the range officer. I have seen both exhibited at Brookhaven.

#5 prolanman

prolanman

Marksman

• Established Member
  • Others:
  • 94 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 05:50 PM

I usually go to the Medford range when the weather isn't good. When it's nice out I like to head to Brookhaven.

#6 Sam815

Sam815

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 89 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 01:28 PM

It's been some time since I've shot at LISC at Islip. I occassionally shoot over at Nassau Co.(Mitchell Field) during the winter months, but prefer to shoot outdoors as much as possible. Freeport PBA range hosts a IPSC
style match each month as well as Pine Barrens. Anyone interested in shooting competitively can find additional info on www.uspsa.org.

#7 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7305 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 01:55 PM

I've been shoot at the Long Island Shotting Center in Islip for over 20 years. The prices are a little steep but I've never a bad experience and the folks operating the place have always been helpful. Having said that given the cost of overhead in running any business in NY, and the distance I'd have to travel to shoot at another range, I'm not complaining about the prices.

#8 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:30 PM

I've shot some at Brookhaven: I've met the nicest AND the crankiest RO's there.  
Made one trip to Calverton: not bad, primitive,  but quite a trip.
Mitchell field a bunch!:   Can be a strange place, one time I'm there and the local High School rifle teams are shooting there (nice kids), another time, in the same tiny range room, somone is sighting in a 12 ga slug gun and and then next to you is some scarry guys with a 9mm burning up factory ammo by the case and hitting nothing.  
LI Shooting Center in Islip 1x to test a pistol I bought there. OK but $ as stated above.
I've been to the Freeport range, but have never shot there.  They seem to have a nice junior program.  Their bylaws have a thing where if you break some part of their rules they will report you to the county pistol licensing bureau.  

#9 ViperJon

ViperJon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 997 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 06:26 PM

You really can't beat the Nassau County range at Mitchell Field for indoor shooting.
Clean, well lit, nobody looking over your shoulder and just a place dedicated to shooting.
Oh and another important point, a really good ventilation system. No smoke, no lead it's all vented away and down range.
That's one thing that always bothered mt at LISC, man it's dirty with a rickety fan doing the ventilating...

#10 dv0042

dv0042

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 2143 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 07:35 PM

Their bylaws have a thing where if you break some part of their rules they will report you to the county pistol licensing bureau.  

Such as?  I always get annoyed when threats like that are issued right up front.  What kind of "rules" are we talking about?  Safety stuff, or "make sure you don't park in Ed's favorite spot, cause he gets pissed".

#11 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2155 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted April 06 2009 - 09:17 PM

I like going to Calverton, back in the day I went with my buddy and fired thousands of rounds of SS109 ammo thru his preban AR15A2 govt model.... those were the good old days...

Now I'm thinking of going to ranges in the Pocono area...

#12 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted April 07 2009 - 03:39 PM

Such as?  I always get annoyed when threats like that are issued right up front.  What kind of "rules" are we talking about?  Safety stuff, or "make sure you don't park in Ed's favorite spot, cause he gets pissed"?

Not sure what they are gonna trifle with my permit about, and not sure I wanna find out.   I do know that the range is heavily affiliated with the Freeport Police department.  

#13 Izzydunyet

Izzydunyet

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 27 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 05:26 PM

I have used the LI shooting center..  not bad if you need to shoot off some ammo;;;)

#14 ViperJon

ViperJon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 997 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 06:27 PM

I like going to Calverton, back in the day I went with my buddy and fired thousands of rounds of SS109 ammo thru his preban AR15A2 govt model.... those were the good old days...

Indeed. Not many places you can haul out a refrigerator or a small compact car to use as a target. ;)

#15 dv0042

dv0042

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 2143 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 07:45 PM

Indeed. Not many places you can haul out a refrigerator or a small compact car to use as a target. ;)

Going to Calverton is a little too much like watching Tombstone for my taste...lol

#16 Teakyman

Teakyman

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 06:34 AM

i use the nassau range, they guys are pretty good, and leave u alone as long as ur not doing something stupid.

#17 Orion

Orion

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 371 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 08:59 AM

I shoot at the Brookhaven Range- good people- always a nice experience.

Islip- good range pretty good ventilation ok store.

Medford - sometimes a little smokey.

Saraspa gun club upstate- great bunch of guys!

Calverton once in a while, nice pit, better range officers at Brookhaven.

It's all good!

#18 Jarhead0331

Jarhead0331

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 176 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 09:51 AM

State Police range out in Bethpage...

SCPD range...

Calverton when all my LE connections are doing something else...

Mitchell Field when I don't feel like driving far...

My property in PA when I can get away for a few days...

#19 JChris97

JChris97

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1372 posts
  • LocationTyler, Texas

Posted April 16 2009 - 09:00 PM

Usually LISC in Islip or the Medford range. I like Calverton too but I only go there for shotgun. Haven't been to Mitchell field in years and years but I remember it was a superb place to shoot.

#20 Recoil

Recoil

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2894 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 02:27 PM

I shoot at Mitchell Field and Brookhaven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users