Indoor Shooting Ranges - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Indoor Shooting Ranges

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 4890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted May 24 2009 - 06:39 PM

Is there a link to all indoor shooting ranges on the island somewhere? Thanks, J 8)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 05:23 AM

There is no link that just lists indoor ranges.   I can tell you about a few if you like.   Some have not rated well with our members.   LISC (Long Island Shooting Center) in Islip on Freeman Ave by the old racetrack has indoor.  So does Executive in Medford at 2215 Route 112 (they have gotten poor reviews by members on this site and other sites).  Freeport on Albany Avenue, they are well spoken of and we have representation here by members that are active in their programs.  70 Keen Street in West Babylon, by the dump/landfill is an interesting range that I just recently became aware of.  It apparently is an indoor/outdoor range where you shoot through tubes or tunnels.  

You can go through members comments on the ranges if you look at the main board, County Discussions (licensing and ranges), ranges. Or follow this link  http://longislandfir...com/forum/c-13/

There are others that are not listed.  Some are private ranges.

#3 ViperJon

ViperJon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 997 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 05:48 AM

Nassau County Indoor range at Mitchell Field is arguably the best indoor range on Long Island, although they close during the summer.

#4 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3908 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 05:54 AM

Thanks VJ, I guess because I am further east on the Island than you, I forgot that one.  That is a great choice too.

#5 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6291 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted May 26 2009 - 08:33 AM

There is no link that just lists indoor ranges.   I can tell you about a few if you like.   Some have not rated well with our members.   LISC (Long Island Shooting Center) in Islip on Freeman Ave by the old racetrack has indoor.  So does Executive in Medford at 2215 Route 112 (they have gotten poor reviews by members on this site and other sites).  Freeport on Albany Avenue, they are well spoken of and we have representation here by members that are active in their programs.  70 Keen Street in West Babylon, by the dump/landfill is an interesting range that I just recently became aware of.  It apparently is an indoor/outdoor range where you shoot through tubes or tunnels.  

You can go through members comments on the ranges if you look at the main board, County Discussions (licensing and ranges), ranges. Or follow this link  http://longislandfir...com/forum/c-13/

There are others that are not listed.  Some are private ranges.

John:
   The facility, at 70 Kean St is a private club and it's 100% indoor. It's Old Bethpage R&P Club, of which I'm on the BoD. It's a members-only facility, not a public range. We accept members only once per year and there is a waiting list. All members receive an electronic key, which allows them access, at their leisure. Members are allowed to bring guests, provided the number of guests is limited to 2 at a time.
    There are 13 handgun points, including one for magnum and FMJ ammo. The handgun points are in an open bay, just as with most ranges, with mechanically operated target carriers. The points are separated, by narrow, individual walls, which form shooting stalls, just like other ranges.
    The tubes, which you mention, are the rifle tubes. We have two, indoor, 100 yard, big bore tubes, which will accommodate any caliber of center fire rifle or black powder rifle.
Gary

#6 borisny

borisny

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 262 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 10:36 AM

Nassau County Indoor range at Mitchell Field is arguably the best indoor range on Long Island, although they close during the summer.

Where would one go during the summer? Any recomendations?

#7 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3908 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 12:47 PM

Gary,

Thanks for clarifying that.  As I mentioned,  I had zero personal experience about this range. In fact, everything I have learned about it was born in this thread.

John

#8 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 4890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted May 26 2009 - 02:17 PM

I actually went to the LISC in Islip yesterday. Despite the terrible reviews I didn't find it horrible. The people at the counter were very friendly. The shooting alley could have been a litte brighter but no biggie...still had fun.....(I also got to try out my new AR and .22lr Ciener conversion kit, which btw is stupid-cheap-fun!!)  8)

#9 Sam815

Sam815

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 89 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 03:27 PM

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe Nassau County Range at Mitchell Field is actually open on weekdays. If I remember correctly they are closed Sunday's July thru August. They may have changed recently, as I haven't been there this year. I drove down once on a Sunday during the summer and it was closed.

#10 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 4890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted May 26 2009 - 03:49 PM

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe Nassau County Range at Mitchell Field is actually open on weekdays. If I remember correctly they are closed Sunday's July thru August. They may have changed recently, as I haven't been there this year. I drove down once on a Sunday during the summer and it was closed.

It's really surprising that at the height of when buisness could be booming, these places close down. ..makes no sense

#11 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3189 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted May 26 2009 - 05:48 PM

I was just on their site, July - August they are closed on Saturdays and Sunday open 9:00 - 4:00 Moday - Friday

http://www.nassaucou...ifle_range.html

#12 BBJ

BBJ

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 371 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 06:55 PM

I was just on their site, July - August they are closed on Saturdays and Sunday open 9:00 - 4:00 Moday - Friday

http://www.nassaucou...ifle_range.html

I was just there and you are correct, in summer months they close @ 4 PM and closed Sat & Sun.
The staff said the reason was that there is no air conditioning in the building and the summers are unbearable!

#13 cas

cas

115:5

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4036 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 07:36 PM

Is it cooler on Monday than on Sunday?  Sounds like government at work... "it's too hot in the building, so we'll be open during the hottest time of the day, and closed during the coolest.":wall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users