New, federal boating regs, eff 4/1/21 - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New, federal boating regs, eff 4/1/21

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6368 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 31 2021 - 07:20 AM

Folks:

You can verify this, at https://www.mycg.usc...maritime-safety.

Gary

Beginning April 1, 2021, operators of recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length will be required to use the engine cut-off switch (ECOS) and associated ECOS link (ECOSL), as the US Coast Guard implements a new boat engine cut-off switch law passed by Congress.
    “This new requirement will improve safety for millions of Americans who take to the water each year,” said Verne B. Gifford, division chief of boating safety. “The engine cut-off switch will better protect vessel operators as well as all other marine vessels, operators, and maritime law enforcement officers on the water who are at risk when encountering a runaway vessel.”
    Vessel operators on boats that either have a functioning ECOS or were manufactured beginning January 2020 must wear an ECOSL.
    The ECOSL attaches the operator to a switch that shuts off the engine if the operator is displaced from the helm. The ECOSL is typically a lanyard that attaches to an ECOS at the helm or on the motor. When strong tension is applied to the lanyard, the ECOSL activates the ECOS, resulting in the shutdown of the motor.  
    Additionally, wireless technology allows for an ECOSL that activates if a fob is immersed in water, which would happen when someone falls overboard. The fob is carried by the operator and/or persons on board. Some manufacturers have begun to install these wireless ECOSL as optional or standard equipment.
    Effective April 1, the new law applies to all federally navigable waterways. As this is a federal law, states do not have the ability to enforce the new ECOS regulation — though seven states (Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey and Texas) currently have their own ECOS laws.  
    The ECOSL is not required to be worn if the main helm of the vessel is in an enclosed cabin or the vessel is not operating on plane or at displacement speed. Low-speed activities such as fishing or docking do not require use of an ECOS. The vessel operator is also exempt if the boat’s motor produces less than 115 lbs. of static thrust – or about the size of a three-horse powered engine.
    The US Coast Guard’s initial focus will be education, so all boaters are safe on waters.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 5012 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 31 2021 - 08:57 AM

another bit of feel good legislation.    Just something else to ignore.  I will comply when everyone starts to stay under 55 on the Southern State, cuts out party music at 10PM, fully stop at stop signs, and use turn signals when changing lanes (or at all for that matter...)

• TJ Ironhorse, gcloss and Lou G like this

#3 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2557 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted March 31 2021 - 09:09 AM

another bit of feel good legislation.    Just something else to ignore.  I will comply when everyone starts to stay under 55 on the Southern State, cuts out party music at 10PM, fully stop at stop signs, and use turn signals when changing lanes (or at all for that matter...)

Perfectly said. Feel good legislation, nothing more.
  • Lou G likes this

#4 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6368 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 31 2021 - 11:49 AM

Perfectly said. Feel good legislation, nothing more.

I agree. No argument but, since we are on an island, with lots of boats and there has been no public announcement of this, our people need to know, to avoid getting blindsided, with a summons and fines. USCG and the Marine Division of DEC's LEO arm will be looking for this, this Summer.

Gary

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 5012 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 31 2021 - 01:34 PM

I agree. No argument but, since we are on an island, with lots of boats and there has been no public announcement of this, our people need to know, to avoid getting blindsided, with a summons and fines. USCG and the Marine Division of DEC's LEO arm will be looking for this, this Summer.

Gary

Kind of like NYC traffic cameras, a money grab.   But how many of us leave the motor running while drifting for fluke and fishing off the stern anyway ?    My cutoff won't stretch much behind the pilot seat, although I am not really sure about that SINCE I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER USE THE EFFING THING !

#6 cleansweep

cleansweep

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 269 posts
  • LocationBrookhaven

Posted March 31 2021 - 06:00 PM

Isn't for boats manufactured after 2020? Not an issue in my case.

Edited by cleansweep, March 31 2021 - 06:03 PM.

#7 DozerD9

DozerD9

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 31 2021 - 06:41 PM

Isn't for boats manufactured after 2020? Not an issue in my case.

Yeah, I think it was after 2020. A non-issue for me also...

#8 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 784 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted March 31 2021 - 11:17 PM

4/1/21

#9 RSL

RSL

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted April 01 2021 - 11:44 AM

Again why add more laws when the ones already in existence are not enforced?  Hard to legislate common sense and responsible behavior.

#10 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24819 posts

Posted April 01 2021 - 06:34 PM

We had Aux. controls at the stern of several boats, to allow backing while retrieving set lines or nets..A few of us went over the transom on occasion....
Regs say not a violation if vessel is not on plane, etc or controls are in enclosed cabin

#11 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24819 posts

Posted April 01 2021 - 06:35 PM

...and here I thought it would be a reg on the number of firearms you could have on board at any given time, to cut down on all the losses during "Boating accidents"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users