Renewal question and ER visit - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Renewal question and ER visit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 480 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 29 2021 - 07:32 AM

Because we live in New Yorkastan and specifically Suffolk.  I have a question for the group.

Last week I went to the emergency room because I had an unbelievable amount of pain from my back.  I have my whole lower back fused many years ago and I was concerned I broke a piece of hardware or something like that.  Well upon discharge the ER doc writes me 2 prescriptions one for Ibuprofen and one for valum for muscle spasm's at night.  After I get home I read the discharge papers and the Dr. wrote for valum was for anxiety which was not true.  I have no anxiety just a crazy amount of pain.  How concerned should I be because my pistol license/permit is up for renewal next year?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 26050 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 29 2021 - 07:58 AM

Since I believe in the principle that whatever can go wrong will go wrong I would have the doctor rewrite the notes.

• rlitman likes this

#3 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2355 posts

Posted March 29 2021 - 08:07 AM

Don't fill it and you won't have to explain it
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#4 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 480 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 29 2021 - 08:36 AM

Don't fill it and you won't have to explain it

Wife already picked it up.  Have not taken any.  It's only 10

#5 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2355 posts

Posted March 29 2021 - 08:52 AM

Best case scenario would be a notarized letter from you explaining why you were prescribed them and how many you took

Worst case is they want a letter from the dr and many are not willing to write that letter

#6 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 480 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 29 2021 - 08:57 AM

Best case scenario would be a notarized letter from you explaining why you were prescribed them and how many you took

Worst case is they want a letter from the dr and many are not willing to write that letter

So your saying send the PLB a notarized letter just before my first renewal.  I guess it can go either way.  

#7 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2355 posts

Posted March 29 2021 - 09:23 AM

So your saying send the PLB a notarized letter just before my first renewal. I guess it can go either way.

No
Your renewal form will have questions about this.. You will be asked to write a letter and get it notarized... I did it once and all was good. It was one prescription post surgery.
The officer said that was fine and no further info was needed.

I have a retired NYPD friend and he like you has hardware in his back. I warned him what was coming and he had his dr change his meds.

When he renewed they wanted a letter from his dr... He talked to his Dr and she wasn't going to write the letter until he reminded her that he wasn't taking the same meds and then she agreed.

Well 5 months later I asked him about it and he said he still hadn't got his renewal... A call to SCPD and he was told that they never got the letter but the gave him professional courtesy to go back to his dr... She never wrote the letter but remembered and did it in front of him and sent it off this time.

Slippery slope if they want the letter from the prescribing dr in your case as ER Drs move around alot and you may not find him/her.
  • rlitman likes this

#8 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 480 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 29 2021 - 10:07 AM

Think I going to write a letter explaining what happened by the ER doctor and  keep it.  When I submit my renewal paperwork include the notarized year old letter.  I really hate the way Suffolk does these things.  I just don't want to give them any excuse.  

Thank you for everybody's input.

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 5012 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 29 2021 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone know of someone who has gotten jammed up by listing prescriptions for anxiety or pain medication ?   And for that matter, is anyone aware of someone getting jammed up for NOT listing such medications.   My brother in laws, neighbor's, nephew's friend wants to know.

Is everyone out there religiously listing penicillin or augmentin for a sinus infection or oral surgery procedure, or a small prescripion of some sort of sleeping pills to get through a long flight overseas ?

#10 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Sharp Shooter!

• 333 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 29 2021 - 11:31 AM

The bigger problem is meds that are given for off label use.

For example, there is an anti-depressant that is given in very low doses by gastroenterologists for abdominal pain. There are  no psych effects at the low dosage.

However, you need to get out in front of it by getting a note from the doctor that there is nothing that prevents you from possessing firearms.

• rlitman likes this

#11 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2196 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted March 29 2021 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know of someone who has gotten jammed up by listing prescriptions for anxiety or pain medication ?   And for that matter, is anyone aware of someone getting jammed up for NOT listing such medications.   My brother in laws, neighbor's, nephew's friend wants to know.

Is everyone out there religiously listing penicillin or augmentin for a sinus infection or oral surgery procedure, or a small prescripion of some sort of sleeping pills to get through a long flight overseas ?

I've never heard of someone getting jammed up by prescriptions, but that's not to say that it doesn't happen.  I list penicillin, augmentin, and a whole laundry list of topical cremes and ointments, not to CYA, but simply to jam up the time of the people who need to check through that list.

• pequa1 likes this

#12 packetloss

packetloss

Sharp Shooter!

• 313 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 30 2021 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn't take that junk.  There are definitely better muscle spasm drugs that are not on the "banned" list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users