CC Opinion - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

CC Opinion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DozerD9

DozerD9

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 06:15 PM

Greetings, new member here. I'm looking to get some input on a Glock 43X vs. the M&P 9 Shield Plus, considering both. I know the Plus is a brand new model so info may not be specific to this particular piece but any info on either will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2557 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted March 18 2021 - 06:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. Just curious if you have a friend named Gina, aka Master Q
Im curious because I was asked my thoughts on exactly this by my friend Gina today, for someone she knows.

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, March 18 2021 - 07:04 PM.

• DozerD9 likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11404 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 18 2021 - 07:40 PM

Greetings, new member here. I'm looking to get some input on a Glock 43X vs. the M&P 9 Shield Plus, considering both. I know the Plus is a brand new model so info may not be specific to this particular piece but any info on either will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

If this pistol is going to be carried concealed. I would look at other pistols that are even smaller like a Sig Sauer P365 or Springfield Armory Hellcat. The Hellcat has the OSP feature that allows for micro Red Dot sights. From doing a little research, For reliability the Hellcat wins.

#4 DozerD9

DozerD9

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 07:50 PM

Welcome to the forum. Just curious if you have a friend named Gina, aka Master Q
Im curious because I was asked my thoughts on exactly this by my friend Gina today, for someone she knows.

Yes Sir, small World! Thank you for your input, went in for one thing and got sidetracked, now I'm undecided. Maybe both, LOL! The Glock felt really good in my hand, that's what has thrown me...

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#5 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2557 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 08:02 PM

It certainly is a small world. Lol.
While I do own a few Glocks, they tend to spend most of their time in the safe. Truth be told, my choices for cc are plentiful. Maybe too many choices. Also 2 S&W Shield in the bunch. 9mm and 45
Having said that, my favorite is my P365. I put the standard slide on the Sig XL frame. It is about as perfect as I have come across. For me that is. Great in the hand, conceals well, and it runs great. So far 1200 flawless rounds.
Good luck making your choice. Please let us know what you choose.
Stay Safe.
  • DozerD9 likes this

#6 RSL

RSL

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 08:05 PM

For the p365 did you with or without a safety?

#7 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2557 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 08:15 PM

Initially without but added it when I bought the XL frame.

Attached Files

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, March 18 2021 - 08:18 PM.

• DozerD9 likes this

#8 DozerD9

DozerD9

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 08:23 PM

It certainly is a small world. Lol.
While I do own a few Glocks, they tend to spend most of their time in the safe. Truth be told, my choices for cc are plentiful. Maybe too many choices. Also 2 S&W Shield in the bunch. 9mm and 45
Having said that, my favorite is my P365. I put the standard slide on the Sig XL frame. It is about as perfect as I have come across. For me that is. Great in the hand, conceals well, and it runs great. So far 1200 flawless rounds.
Good luck making your choice. Please let us know what you choose.
Stay Safe.

I certainly will and thank you again. Now another option to check, the 365. I was just watching YouTube videos about the 43X and the instructor (Hickock I think his name was) was praising the 365 as his go-to gun for CC. Plus boosti above mentioned that piece also. Maybe back to the gun shop again tomorrow...speak to you soon, you stay safe (and healthy) as well! 

#9 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3288 posts

Posted March 18 2021 - 08:37 PM

I own a 43X and it is equipped with the TLR 6 light. You have to be able to identify your target so a light is a must. it's dark half the day after all. It is an excellent pistol for CCW.  I bought it to replace a 43 which I was carrying. You don't want to carry with anything less than a 9mm these days. I  carry OWB or AIWB depending on what I'm doing that day.  Federal hydra shok 124gr is my carry ammo.  Should you have access to free states (vacation home) you can keep the Shield Arms S-15 magazines there. They are metal magazines designed for the 43X which hold up to 15 rounds of ammo. Good luck and make sure you get some training.

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11404 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 19 2021 - 07:33 AM

I own a 43X and it is equipped with the TLR 6 light. You have to be able to identify your target so a light is a must. it's dark half the day after all. It is an excellent pistol for CCW.  I bought it to replace a 43 which I was carrying. You don't want to carry with anything less than a 9mm these days. I  carry OWB or AIWB depending on what I'm doing that day.  Federal hydra shok 124gr is my carry ammo.  Should you have access to free states (vacation home) you can keep the Shield Arms S-15 magazines there. They are metal magazines designed for the 43X which hold up to 15 rounds of ammo. Good luck and make sure you get some training.

My service ammunition in my G19 was the Federal Hydra Shok 124 grain +P+. It wasn’t the best round, The agency switched to the Winchester SXT 124 grain +P , definitely an improvement.
If carrying a 9mm, I would recommend the +P loads as minimum.

#11 RSL

RSL

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 19 2021 - 05:27 PM

Initially without but added it when I bought the XL frame.

Why did you decide to add the safety?  I am trying to decide.  Thanks

#12 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2557 posts

Posted March 20 2021 - 10:25 AM

Why did you decide to add the safety? I am trying to decide. Thanks

I had the opportunity to shoot one with the safety and felt it was unobtrusive enough to put one in. That, and the fact I prefer an added measure of safety when appendix carrying. My comfort level. Others will disagree, and perhaps rightly so. Their take is that you should be consistent in your carry/ training method, in the event the need arises to use it. You may leave that safety on in a stress situation, resulting in a big friggin problem.

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, March 20 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 1013 posts

Posted March 20 2021 - 11:52 AM

Shoot both and more

I prefer the glock, my son prefers the M&P. Both have their fan base

I also like featherweight revolvers. But I’m into grappling and revolvers have a slight advantage there

• DozerD9 likes this

#14 Old Glock guy

Old Glock guy

Sharp Shooter!

• 314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted March 20 2021 - 05:28 PM

My carry gun (when I'm out of NJ) is a Springfield Armory xD mod.2 9 mm subcompact.  It's very similar to a Glock (of which I have several), but it has a grip safety that should prevent an ND should anything snag in the trigger guard while I'm reholstering. 

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11404 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 20 2021 - 05:49 PM

My carry gun (when I'm out of NJ) is a Springfield Armory xD mod.2 9 mm subcompact. It's very similar to a Glock (of which I have several), but it has a grip safety that should prevent an ND should anything snag in the trigger guard while I'm reholstering.

Springfield Armory finally listened to customers and did away with the grip safety on their new Hellcat line of pistols . I am not a fan of the grip safety on the Extreme Duty pistols.

#16 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24819 posts

Posted March 21 2021 - 07:25 PM

Still carrying a Ruger LC9s Pro. Have the Sig P365 but not enough time with it to be comfortable with my accuracy. Added the LIMA Green laser to the Sig, liking it so I have to grit my teeth and go through a few boxes of ammo with it to get comfortable. Here where it's warm most of the year, you can't carry too bulky a handgun that easily w/o giving it away ...

#17 DozerD9

DozerD9

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 21 2021 - 07:31 PM

Shoot both and more

I prefer the glock, my son prefers the M&P. Both have their fan base

I also like featherweight revolvers. But I’m into grappling and revolvers have a slight advantage there

I do have a S&W Airweight, .38, 5 shot, hammerless. A nice small gun, easy to shoot and easily concealable. I was looking for something with a little more capacity and more bang, the 5 shot .38 seems a little tame these days. Thank you...

• Ancap likes this

#18 Alsattic2u

Alsattic2u

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 21 2021 - 07:51 PM

You will make some choices with your early firearm purchase that you will second guess. The good news is you can always purchase more and you will.

There are many good choices for cc. I like the P365 but prefer my Glock 43 with extended mag 8+1. The size with IWB just works for me.

The 43x is nice no that they have with the black slide.

#19 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Sharp Shooter!

• 333 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 21 2021 - 08:05 PM

Glock 26 or 19 since 1995. Since retirement I can carry anything I want.

Glock 26 or 19.

No gimmicks, no lights, they just work every time.

#20 Krippledkrapp

Krippledkrapp

Respected Gunowner

• 169 posts

Posted March 22 2021 - 07:57 AM

Ill second the comment about adding an XL frame on a standard 365 slide. I have probably around 1k of various ammo thru it with zero issues. The XL grip is more comfortable if you have larger hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users