Gun Maintenance - Other - [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Gun Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4083 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted March 16 2021 - 03:13 PM

I've been retired for 4 years now and must admit that a few of the guns in my safe haven't been used in that time. They were properly cleaned and tucked away safely in an atmospheric friendly safe after each had been fired. My question is: Should they be taken out and given a cleaning every year? I know it couldn't hurt to periodically clean them but I just wanted to know what the common thinking is on the subject. Additionally, what are the thoughts about antique guns? Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2557 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted March 16 2021 - 04:19 PM

No thoughts on antique guns, but as for periodic cleaning of guns in the safe. I always follow that practice. I have a fair amount, so its, in my opinion necessary.

#3 Dakhath

Dakhath

Respected Gunowner

• 206 posts
  • LocationWestbury

Posted March 16 2021 - 05:00 PM

Everything comes out at least once annually for inspection, and oiling. Anything with a wood stock get taken out every 3-6 months to oil the wood specifically. Other than "for immediate use" guns,anything going into the safe is over-oiled.

• TJ Ironhorse and minuteman1970 like this

#4 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 784 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted March 16 2021 - 09:21 PM

Everything comes out at least once annually for inspection, and oiling. Anything with a wood stock get taken out every 3-6 months to oil the wood specifically. Other than "for immediate use" guns,anything going into the safe is over-oiled.

What do you use? Boiled linseed?

#5 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1425 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted March 17 2021 - 08:52 AM

Yes... once a yr cleaning / check over even if not fired.

Also every 3 months I change out the silica gel sock and then dry out the prev one in oven for next time ( stored in heavy zip-lock )

#6 Dakhath

Dakhath

Respected Gunowner

• 206 posts
  • LocationWestbury

Posted March 19 2021 - 11:08 AM

What do you use? Boiled linseed?

Boiled linseed oil usually, but last year,  mineral oil, because "she who smells a fart in a hurricane" was always around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users