question for someone savvy on WW2 - 03A1's... - Milsurp [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

question for someone savvy on WW2 - 03A1's...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tioga RT

Tioga RT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationupstate New York

Posted March 04 2021 - 11:22 AM

Looking at a local WW2 Remington 03' to replace the one I sold years back. Looks good...but...unlike other WW2 03 A1's..this one has the folding leaf rear sight, at the front of the receiver..vs...the typical adj sight installed on the rear of the receiver (no modifications noticed). Based on serial #/build dates...this is an early production rifle. Could that be the reason for this difference?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 04 2021 - 01:53 PM

1903 Springfields had the barrel mounted sight. 1903A3 Springfields had the flip sight.

You need to provide more detail about the gun. EARLY pre-WWI guns are not considered shooters due to brittle receivers.

#3 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6368 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 04 2021 - 02:20 PM

R

1903 Springfields had the barrel mounted sight. 1903A3 Springfields had the flip sight.

You need to provide more detail about the gun. EARLY pre-WWI guns are not considered shooters due to brittle receivers.

Right on point! Early 1903s are not safe to shoot.

Per Wikipedia:

By the time of US entry into World War I, 843,239 of these rifles had been produced, at Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal. Pre-war production utilized questionable metallurgy. Some receivers constructed of single-heat-treated, case-hardened steel were improperly subjected to excessive temperatures, during the forging process. The carbon could be "burnt" out of the steel, producing a brittle receiver.  Despite documented evidence, indicating some early rifles were improperly forged, actual cases of failure were very rare. Although several cases of serious injury, from receiver failure, were documented, the US Army never reported any fatalities. Many failures were attributed to use of incorrect cartridges, such as the 7.92Ă—57mm Mauser. Evidence also seems to suggest that improperly forged brass cartridge cases could have exacerbated receiver failure.
    Pyrometers were installed, in December, 1917, to accurately measure temperatures, during the forging process. The change was made, at approximately serial number 800,000, for rifles made at Springfield Armory and at serial number 285,507, at Rock Island Arsenal. Lower serial numbers are known as "low-number" M1903 rifles. Higher serial numbers are said to be "double-heat-treated."

Gary

#4 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Sharp Shooter!

• 333 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 04 2021 - 04:40 PM

Of course, any pre 800,000 that has survived to this day being re-barreled several times is probably fine. But why take a chance?

#5 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6368 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 05 2021 - 08:00 AM

Of course, any pre 800,000 that has survived to this day being re-barreled several times is probably fine. But why take a chance?

Even re-barrelled, I would still have concern about the receiver.

Gary

• blue steel likes this

#6 Tioga RT

Tioga RT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 06 2021 - 11:26 AM

This  is a first/or second  month of production..Jan 43' Remington 03-A3. Find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble of dismounting the adj rear sight and remounting the earlier folding front leaf sight.esp..if is being sold as a WW2 03'A3.. 

#7 Tioga RT

Tioga RT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 06 2021 - 11:27 AM

..and the serial number corresponds to that WW2 production timeframe.

#8 Tioga RT

Tioga RT

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 06 2021 - 11:32 AM

...I also see the mistake I first made in posting ( keyboard mistake)......Its serial # / mauf. make it 03-A3...and is being sold as such.

• NRATC53 likes this

#9 JR79

JR79

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 91 posts

Posted March 06 2021 - 09:19 PM

Having owned quite a few Springfield 03s, I'll clear up a few things. Remington did get a contract to produce M1903s early in the war. They got the tooling from Springfield and Rock island. Shortly after the design was modify to increase production (using stamped parts) and using simplified rear sight thus becoming the 03A3. O3A3 receivers are different from 03s in that they have a dovetail mount to accept the rear sight on top of the receiver behind the bolt. No one is doing modifications. M1903 and 03A3 rifles are marked as such. As far as 1903A1s,. They were the best of the bunch,. Had one thiry 30 year go and sold it.... regret it to this day!
  • NRATC53 and only7rounds2 like this

#10 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 06 2021 - 10:51 PM

Having owned quite a few Springfield 03s, I'll clear up a few things. Remington did get a contract to produce M1903s early in the war. They got the tooling from Springfield and Rock island. Shortly after the design was modify to increase production (using stamped parts) and using simplified rear sight thus becoming the 03A3. O3A3 receivers are different from 03s in that they have a dovetail mount to accept the rear sight on top of the receiver behind the bolt. No one is doing modifications. M1903 and 03A3 rifles are marked as such. As far as 1903A1s,. They were the best of the bunch,. Had one thiry 30 year go and sold it.... regret it to this day!

Do you collect them? I have some tings you might be interested in.

• NRATC53 likes this

#11 Tioga RT

Tioga RT

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 11 2021 - 09:04 AM

My thoughts on the rifle I am looking at....being early / Remington WW2 / production..might explain the the older leaf sight still being on the receiver.While I can't confirm this..its possible all the changes( rear sight, back to a straight stock, 2 groove rifling, etc...) all didn't happen right at the moment production started....just a thought. Thanks for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users