Hither Hills Trailer Camping - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hither Hills Trailer Camping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 firemanvin

firemanvin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 547 posts

Posted February 18 2021 - 11:01 AM

Greetings all.

I'm very new to travel trailer camping.  My 2021 travel trailer is scheduled to be delivered next month (March 2021).  I've already booked full hookup sites at Smith's Point and Wildwood for the summer.  Although a newbie, I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to handle the logistics of full hookup sites with little concern; free flowing water, electricity, and no need to store the poops.  However, I also just booked Hither Hills for three nights in the end of September.  From what I can see, that's 100% boondocking.  As such, I would appreciate a little feedback and suggestions from folks that have been to Hither Hills.  To start with, here are a few questions:

Do I fill up my water tank at home (60 gallons), or do I fill up out there?

Once set up, how do I refill my water tank?

I understand that there is a dumping station there.  How do I dump my gray/black water tanks once I'm set up?

My new trailer comes with solar charging. Is this adequate to keep me going, or should I bring a generator?

Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7333 posts

Posted February 19 2021 - 03:02 PM

Hither Hills has water but you may need more than one hose to cover the distance to the water spigot. Your gray tank will fill much quicker than your black tank. The only options are move the trailer to the dump station or get a portable tank with wheels that you can tow there by hand or behind your tow vehicle. Keep in mind that water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon so a 20 gallon portable tank is going to weigh 160 lbs. sometimes lifting of the tank is required (lifting one end to get over the curb that sometimes surrounds the dump hole).

The solar is just for keeping the trailer battery charged. It will keep 12 volt items running (lights, frig running on propane, water pump, etc.) but that’s about it. Even if you have an inverter (12v to 120v) the battery and solar will not keep 120v appliances (television, microwave, etc.) running for long and won’t run an air condition.

You can run a generator for a limited amount of time in the morning and evening but not overnight.
  • firemanvin likes this

#3 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 235 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted February 20 2021 - 01:40 PM

Was Hither Hills designed by the Marque DeSade? LOL. 3 nights are definitely do able. Just thing conserve. We can do 3 nights boondocking in our 25 ft Winni View motorhome. I wouldn't be without a gen set as it will allow you to cool things off during the heat of the day and before bed. We don't go to Hither Hills cause they don't allow our 2 little dogs. Have fun, stay safe.

• firemanvin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users