moved out of state.. - Nassau County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

moved out of state..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bspz28

bspz28

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 639 posts

Posted January 13 2021 - 07:48 PM

I have gone to bigger and better place out of NYS. what do I do with my Nassau county pistol license? do I just cut it up or do I send it back to Nassau Pistol division ? 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TheLevelOne

TheLevelOne

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 13 2021 - 08:20 PM

This from the latest version of the Nassau County Pistol License Section Handbook

https://www.pdcn.org...Center/View/113

Regards  and congrats ------------------

H. HOW TO CANCEL YOUR OWN PISTOL LICENSE

In order to cancel a Nassau County Pistol License, a licensee MUST do all of the following:

1. Legally dispose of the firearm(s) listed on the license (see Chapter 3, Section B “Selling Or Disposing Of A Firearm”);

2. Return the license to the NCPD Pistol License Section; and

3. Present documentation to the Pistol License Section of the lawful disposition of all firearms.

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted January 13 2021 - 08:53 PM

This from the latest version of the Nassau County Pistol License Section Handbook

https://www.pdcn.org...Center/View/113

Regards  and congrats ------------------

H. HOW TO CANCEL YOUR OWN PISTOL LICENSE

In order to cancel a Nassau County Pistol License, a licensee MUST do all of the following:

1. Legally dispose of the firearm(s) listed on the license (see Chapter 3, Section B “Selling Or Disposing Of A Firearm”);

2. Return the license to the NCPD Pistol License Section; and

3. Present documentation to the Pistol License Section of the lawful disposition of all firearms.

I would simply write a letter advising of your new address, asking them to update your information....   a court case a few years ago ordered that NYS licenses can be issued to non-residents...

• NRATC53 and loadingdockman like this

#4 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25916 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 13 2021 - 09:44 PM

Send the cut up license to Cuomo telling him FUAC.

• TheLevelOne, Lou G and TheKnot like this

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24775 posts

Posted January 14 2021 - 04:02 PM

I would simply write a letter advising of your new address, asking them to update your information....   a court case a few years ago ordered that NYS licenses can be issued to non-residents...

If you wish to keep your NY License, do as advised above. If you don't wish to keep your license active, you CAN do nothing, which might bite you should you ever go back to NY and apply, or you can write them a letter stating that you and your handguns are permanently removed from NYS and you are cancelling your license, send the license back marked void if you so choose. NYS's power only extends to the borders of NYS, no matter what THEY think

• Parashooter, TJ Ironhorse and Lou G like this

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11305 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 14 2021 - 06:21 PM

I remember seeing a former New York resident that moved to Georgia and requested that his license which is lifetime to include his new address. The judge agreed to his request. I know every county is different, it is a state license.
Every county will have it’s own policy for a part time non resident.

#7 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25916 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 14 2021 - 09:24 PM

If you wish to keep your NY License, do as advised above. If you don't wish to keep your license active, you CAN do nothing, which might bite you should you ever go back to NY and apply, or you can write them a letter stating that you and your handguns are permanently removed from NYS and you are cancelling your license, send the license back marked void if you so choose. NYS's power only extends to the borders of NYS, no matter what THEY think

Once you are out be thankful and never return.

#8 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted January 14 2021 - 11:01 PM

I remember seeing a former New York resident that moved to Georgia and requested that his license which is lifetime to include his new address. The judge agreed to his request. I know every county is different, it is a state license.
Every county will have it’s own policy for a part time non resident.

A counties' "policy" doesn't supersede state law, or Court decisions.

• NRATC53 likes this

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11305 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 15 2021 - 08:03 AM

A counties' "policy" doesn't supersede state law, or Court decisions.

It was case law regarding Part Time residence. New York has given Non residents a pistol license when they have a business in the state. Only one county in upstate was issuing to residents from a Pennsylvania County if they owned property in the county.
We haven’t seen a former Nassau or Suffolk resident chime in to say I got to keep my license when they move to a different state. The Part Time License requires a bit more to satisfy their requirements.

#10 notphilivey

notphilivey

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 95 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted January 15 2021 - 07:59 PM

Congratulations. All who can get out,  are getting out.

• BogDrakonov likes this

#11 sparks25

sparks25

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2340 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 16 2021 - 08:09 PM

How do you present documentation of lawful disposition of the firearms when you only moved to a free state? With your guns.
Maybe just a picture of you with your guns at the range in your new state smiling from ear to ear?
That should be good enough proof.

#12 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7312 posts

Posted January 16 2021 - 08:43 PM

How do you present documentation of lawful disposition of the firearms when you only moved to a free state? With your guns.
Maybe just a picture of you with your guns at the range in your new state smiling from ear to ear?

If the state you’re moving to requires a license to possess a handgun probably a license from that state. If it doesn’t probably a reference to the section of the state law that says a license isn’t required.

#13 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 285 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 17 2021 - 08:00 AM

If the state you’re moving to requires a license to possess a handgun probably a license from that state. If it doesn’t probably a reference to the section of the state law that says a license isn’t required.

Your thinking too NY like.  Most states don't require a license of any kind to purchase or open carry a handgun.

#14 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24775 posts

Posted Today, 12:06 PM

You don't need to do anything to "Prove" you and your property are now removed from NYS- The onus is on THEM to prove you did not. They will check up on you, it is easy enough

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

choochoocharlie, ponchopower421