Nassau County Range Still Closed - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Nassau County Range Still Closed

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 notphilivey

notphilivey

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 100 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted January 09 2021 - 07:09 AM

Finally got my hands on some ammo, notwithstanding that it was overpriced. Eager to shoot after a 2 month layoff,  I found out to my dismay that the Nassau County Range was closed with a sign out front, no further details. I'm assuming because no ammo, no traffic? Any info on when it might be re-opened? 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 287 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 09 2021 - 08:37 AM

Supposedly COVID precautionary.  

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4967 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 09 2021 - 09:34 AM

the voice message said it was closed January 6 and will reopen in two weeks.   China virus or ventilation issues, take your pick.   I was there on Monday the 4th in the afternoon and although fairly empty everything was operational.

#4 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 375 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 09 2021 - 10:07 AM

I was there last Sunday (Jan, 3rd). It was just like a regular Sunday

#5 Ridetoglide

Ridetoglide

Sharp Shooter!

• 340 posts

Posted January 09 2021 - 10:16 AM

I Went to DSI range for the first time....   it is much nicer than Mitchell Field. The only drawback being its much closer max range ( 13ys vs 30yds) but if you only need 13 yards than DSI is the way to go. The staff is very friendly. 

• Lou G and Greencvo like this

#6 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 375 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 09 2021 - 10:24 AM

Where is the DSI range?

#7 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3264 posts

Posted January 09 2021 - 10:41 AM

Oakdale, Dark Storm Industries gun store.

• Greencvo likes this

#8 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 375 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 09 2021 - 11:40 AM

Ha. Thanks.

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4967 posts

Posted January 09 2021 - 02:58 PM

DSI ?  under 40 feet.   No thanks.   I can wait to shoot unscoped rifles and handguns for four bucks at Mitchel.

• TheLevelOne likes this

#10 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 287 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 09 2021 - 08:54 PM

At DSI you have too many no skill folks showing up there with ARs just to shoot at 12 yards.  I'm not sure what the the purpose of shooting a rifle at less than 12 yards is.  It's also so cramped in there that if someone farts their CO2 alarm goes off.

• grifhunter and wwolf like this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11310 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 10 2021 - 08:26 AM

DSI is a new clean range that is perfect for pistol shooting. The staff was friendly, The range instructor said they have many new shooters who buy AR or similar rifles for home defense. The nice thing about shooting indoors at DSI, no annoying brass whores kneeling down next to you to collect a piece of Brass.

#12 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 287 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 10 2021 - 09:36 AM

DSI is a new clean range that is perfect for pistol shooting. 

That is true of pistol and would be true if people mostly shot pistol there.  Every time I was there  it was all folks with ARs blasting away.  I'm talking the gas vented ones where it blows all sorts of debris in my face even 2 points down from them.  Even my 30-06 doesn't do that, not that I ever shot that indoors at 12-15 yards.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11310 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 10 2021 - 10:44 AM

That is true of pistol and would be true if people mostly shot pistol there.  Every time I was there  it was all folks with ARs blasting away.  I'm talking the gas vented ones where it blows all sorts of debris in my face even 2 points down from them.  Even my 30-06 doesn't do that, not that I ever shot that indoors at 12-15 yards.

I would catch grief shooting my S&W model 19 2.5 inch indoors and outdoors because of the muzzle blast.
I could see a pistol caliber carbine AR platform with a variable 1-5 optic being useful at that distance. I might get motivated to go shoot now.

#14 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4967 posts

Posted January 10 2021 - 12:38 PM

Maybe they were newbies who bought the ARs there and were afraid of embarrassing themselves at an actual range suitable for long guns ?

#15 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 375 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 10 2021 - 01:50 PM

I might get motivated to go shoot now.

Hope you are a member there. I just called. It is $30+ for non-member per hour. I will wait til Jan 22nd and go to the Nassau range.

• pequa1 likes this

#16 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 228 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted January 11 2021 - 05:12 PM

DSI is a new clean range that is perfect for pistol shooting. The staff was friendly, The range instructor said they have many new shooters who buy AR or similar rifles for home defense. The nice thing about shooting indoors at DSI, no annoying brass whores kneeling down next to you to collect a piece of Brass.

Why would anyone object to a fellow shooter picking up brass to reload? I just sweep it into the bin anyway. Be my guest. 

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#17 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4967 posts

Posted January 11 2021 - 06:34 PM

I think that poster felt that the "brass collector" was stooping right behind him while he was shooting.   I myself use those little nets and catch my own brass.   Even though I don't reload I will and have traded my "once fired" brass.

#18 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 375 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 11 2021 - 06:39 PM

I have a little bucket to catch the casings. At this time, I am only reloading 308 and 3006, not 223 yet.

#19 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11310 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 11 2021 - 07:37 PM

Why would anyone object to a fellow shooter picking up brass to reload? I just sweep it into the bin anyway. Be my guest.

Some of these brass collectors don’t say a word, a simple courteous hello you don’t mind after you finish that I may keep the brass.
I don’t reload or care who keeps the brass.

#20 Aunt Carol

Aunt Carol

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 15 2021 - 08:50 PM

We usually go Sunday nights but it was closed at 6pm when we arrived on 1/10/21. Walked up to the door and read posted sign: Sat & Sun closed at 3pm. Weekdays open late. Try another time, I know we will!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

notphilivey