Flu has been renamed Covid - Page 2 - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Flu has been renamed Covid

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 BogDrakonov

BogDrakonov

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 07 2021 - 04:09 PM

The flu cases are much lower this year since (most) people are wearing masks and social distancing. As for flu-like symptoms and COVID RNA, you would test positive for COVID unless the viral load in your sample was strong enough that you must actually have the illness. If COVID tests worked this way we'd have an 80-99% false positive rate and wouldn't bother with testing. (I say this as someone who recently took a nasal covid test to get cleared to enter my office)

Also for your first sentence, I admit to reading only a portion of the article, but that's because of this website's bias and mixed factual reporting rating (according to https://mediabiasfac...ust-the-news/).

I worked in a scientific setting for a long time (albeit not biological research) and I just get irritated when someone with credentials spouts off nonsense because they think they know better than 99% of the scientists in their field.

• only7rounds2 likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 07 2021 - 06:55 PM

Also for your first sentence, I admit to reading only a portion of the article, but that's because of this website's bias and mixed factual reporting rating (according to https://mediabiasfac...ust-the-news/).

I worked in a scientific setting for a long time (albeit not biological research) and I just get irritated when someone with credentials spouts off nonsense because they think they know better than 99% of the scientists in their field.

My comment wasn't directed at you, rather the OP who clearly posted the article with the misdirection in mind that any immunologists are claiming COVID is just a renaming of the flu and cherry picked a comment from the article and presented it totally out of context.

#23 BogDrakonov

BogDrakonov

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 08 2021 - 11:32 AM

My comment wasn't directed at you, rather the OP who clearly posted the article with the misdirection in mind that any immunologists are claiming COVID is just a renaming of the flu and cherry picked a comment from the article and presented it totally out of context.

My bad. Been a little quick to reply on science related things lately. I feel if we trusted the experts more and followed the rules, we'd be done with this by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users