Inherited firearms from another state - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Inherited firearms from another state

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NelF

NelF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted December 29 2020 - 07:03 PM

Hello, new member here. Hopefully someone can answer a bunch of these questions . So, I recently had a death in the family and have inherited a few firearms. Specifically , 4 Long guns , (2 bolt action , 1 shotgun and 1 S&W M&P 15)
1 old black powder pistol and 1 Glock 9mm pistol. So , I believe that I can ship the 2 rifles and the shotgun to an FFL in NY . Do I contact my local NY FFL dealer and they will email me proper paperwork to ship fedex ? Should I Go through an FFL in Arizona to do the shipping and work with the NY FFL ? (Double fees from each FFL?) Second part of questions is regarding the AR-15 . It is stock but not NY compliant. Has adjustable stock and detachable mag. Do I try to find the parts to make it New York employment here and then ship? Or will the New York FFL allow me to ship without being compliant and they will make it compliant for me at their shop? Part 3 : the pistols . The black powder pistol can be shipped without an FFL correct ? I don’t have a pistol permit on NY yet so I’m assuming I can’t ship the Glock and would have to sell it to a dealer in Arizona ? I only have a few days to figure this out . I’m flying back next week and would hate to have sell some of these .

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2503 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted December 29 2020 - 07:07 PM

Welcome I see your new here. best option would be to contact a NYS FFL with these questions. Dont leave anything to chance. This is NY, PERHAPS THE LEAST FRIENDLY GUN STATE AROUND. Assume everything is illegal. Lol
  • Lou G likes this

#3 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 878 posts

Posted December 29 2020 - 08:15 PM

There is a family transfer exemption in the safe act for firearms without a NICS transfer. However, the AR-15 is past its registration deadline.  So I’m not exactly sure how that would work. But I would make the ar-15 a fixed magazine to avoid the registration aspect.

the handguns, I would contact the pistol bureau in your county since rules are constantly changing 

• NelF likes this

#4 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24775 posts

Posted December 29 2020 - 09:25 PM

If you get a copy of the FFL on the receiving end in NY, you can ship all to them if they will accept from you (include copy of your ID)-don't have to ship BP pistol to them unless you are in NYC). Break down the AR into upper and lower, strip it down if possible before sending. If it is not complete (no upper, incomplete lower) it is not non compliant. You can then assemble it in NY compliant form once you are here. Talk with a NY FFL first. Sell Glock there unless it has meaning to you, OR you know a trustworthy individual who will put on their license until you get yours

• Parashooter, ub3rgeek, gcloss and 1 other like this

#5 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 269 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 29 2020 - 09:48 PM

If you are in Arizona you can bring the NY legal rifles back with you. Check with a dealer,  but I think there is an exception in Federal law for family transfers.NY has NO jurisdiction for long guns you obtain legally in another State.  You *MAY* need to have a dealer transfer them to you, but if it is a close relative you may be able to take possession. The pistol is forget it. The black powder gun you can probably ship to yourself if you are uncomfortable putting it in your luggage.

And no one start with the "contiguous State" nonsense. That has not been in effect since Ronald Regan was The President.

• Parashooter likes this

#6 ub3rgeek

ub3rgeek

Respected Gunowner

• 118 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted December 30 2020 - 07:26 AM

Sorry for your loss.

As long as you are not a felon and are not barred from owning a firearm in NY, I would do the following:

1. Sell pistol in AZ, (or transfer to NY FFL that can hold if for a year for you to get your lic)

2. Break down long guns and ship all parts yourself. Put in separate boxes if that makes you feel more comfortable.

3. Reassemble all legal firearms.
  • gcloss likes this

#7 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 30 2020 - 12:18 PM

Sorry for your loss.

As long as you are not a felon and are not barred from owning a firearm in NY, I would do the following:

1. Sell pistol in AZ, (or transfer to NY FFL that can hold if for a year for you to get your lic)

2. Break down long guns and ship all parts yourself. Put in separate boxes if that makes you feel more comfortable.

3. Reassemble all legal firearms.

If you are going to give legal advice, at least try to give the right advice.

A disassembled AR-15 is still an AR-15 if all the parts are present. It can be shipped to Jerrys, he is a Class 7 manufacturer and can make it complaint legally.

IF he can take legal possession of the other rifles there (check Federal Law) he can bring them back with him.

Shipping them back to himself in any form may invoke the SAFE act, as he would be taking possession here.

• Parashooter likes this

#8 NelF

NelF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted December 30 2020 - 05:43 PM

A disassembled AR-15 is still an AR-15 if all the parts are present. It can be shipped to Jerrys, he is a Class 7 manufacturer and can make it complaint legally.
IF he can take legal possession of the other rifles there (check Federal Law) he can bring them back with him.
Shipping them back to himself in any form may invoke the SAFE act, as he would be taking possession here.

I will give Jerry’s a call thank you !
  • only7rounds2 likes this

#9 ub3rgeek

ub3rgeek

Respected Gunowner

• 118 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted December 30 2020 - 05:53 PM

I never claimed to be giving legal advice, just an opinion. Legal advice should not be sought on an Internet forum.
  • NRATC53 and only7rounds2 like this

#10 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 740 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted December 30 2020 - 06:43 PM

A pistol license can take more than a year in Suffolk (check the forum here). Nassau county has been around 3-6 months (given recent reports). If any of the pistols have threaded barrels, they are not legal. Any detachable magazine over 10 rounds is not legal in NY. I suspect that the glock 19 mags will not be transferrable.

The M&P15 likely has a number of problems. First is the barrel, again threaded is a no-no. The pistol grip is another. If it has a bayonet mount, then that's a no-no as well (as if a knife is more deadly than a sharp stick). The adjustable stock is another no-no. Perhaps have the upper shipped directly to your house. Have the lower shipped to an FFL...they can transfer a lower by itself because the gun cannot be deemed an assault weapon unless assembled together...of instance, if you turn your M&P15 into a slide action (ie remove the gas block), then the gun may be okay. I wouldn't ship them in the same container...but that's just me. Another way of making the M&P NY compliant is to buy a fixed magazine and permanently affix it to the gun. I like my compmag...you have to epoxy the screw holding the magazine to the gun. If you ever leave New Yorkistan, you can grind it off and the gun can be free again.

The shotgun may be okay, again, depending on the 'evil' features. Any pump or break action shotgun is legal and good to go.

The bolt action long guns are all okay without FFL, but if you are shipping, then you'll need to find someone who will accept it.

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11305 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 30 2020 - 07:13 PM

A pistol license can take more than a year in Suffolk (check the forum here). Nassau county has been around 3-6 months (given recent reports). If any of the pistols have threaded barrels, they are not legal. Any detachable magazine over 10 rounds is not legal in NY. I suspect that the glock 19 mags will not be transferrable.

The M&P15 likely has a number of problems. First is the barrel, again threaded is a no-no. The pistol grip is another. If it has a bayonet mount, then that's a no-no as well (as if a knife is more deadly than a sharp stick). The adjustable stock is another no-no. Perhaps have the upper shipped directly to your house. Have the lower shipped to an FFL...they can transfer a lower by itself because the gun cannot be deemed an assault weapon unless assembled together...of instance, if you turn your M&P15 into a slide action (ie remove the gas block), then the gun may be okay. I wouldn't ship them in the same container...but that's just me. Another way of making the M&P NY compliant is to buy a fixed magazine and permanently affix it to the gun. I like my compmag...you have to epoxy the screw holding the magazine to the gun. If you ever leave New Yorkistan, you can grind it off and the gun can be free again.

The shotgun may be okay, again, depending on the 'evil' features. Any pump or break action shotgun is legal and good to go.

The bolt action long guns are all okay without FFL, but if you are shipping, then you'll need to find someone who will accept it.

I know a few LGS wouldn’t sell an AR lower unless it was stripped. Definitely check with an FFL.

#12 phumb

phumb

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2570 posts

Posted December 31 2020 - 04:46 AM

I have not bought/sold/shipped guns in quite some time but I know you USED to be able to ship to yourself. Ex, If you were going to Montana on an elk hunt, you could send rifle to yourself, care of the outfitter and at the end of the hunt, just mail back home.  Has this changed? possibly safe act? (again, have not followed it to close because haven't really been into it as much as in the past) This is obviously for NY legal rifles and not for AR or pistols.

#13 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 878 posts

Posted December 31 2020 - 08:30 AM

I will give Jerry’s a call thank you !

Just so you know. Jerry's is a bit controversial regarding whats legal and what isn’t 

#14 NelF

NelF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted December 31 2020 - 10:36 AM

Just so you know. Jerry's is a bit controversial regarding whats legal and what isn’t

ok

I called Jerry’s. They are no longer accepting transfers of non-complient AR ‘s for conversion. Looks like I’m going to have to sell the AR to a gun or pawn shop as well.

#15 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 878 posts

Posted December 31 2020 - 12:08 PM

ok

I called Jerry’s. They are no longer accepting transfers of non-complient AR ‘s for conversion. Looks like I’m going to have to sell the AR to a gun or pawn shop as well.

Make it a fixed mag, parts are cheap

• pequa1 likes this

#16 NelF

NelF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted December 31 2020 - 03:41 PM

Make it a fixed mag, parts are cheap

The gun shops here do not have the the parts and if ordered they will not arrive in time before I leave . . I need to pin the stock as well and the barrel is threaded .

#17 NelF

NelF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted December 31 2020 - 04:28 PM

Just sold both at a gun shop no questions asked. $350 for the Glock 17 and $450 for the AR . Cut me a check on the spot.

#18 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2344 posts

Posted December 31 2020 - 06:13 PM

The gun shops here do not have the the parts and if ordered they will not arrive in time before I leave . . I need to pin the stock as well and the barrel is threaded .

If you fix the mag with a 10 round mag you don't have to do anything else. You can have all of the other features. Jerry has his expensive kit in stock to fix the mag

Edited by Shotgun682, December 31 2020 - 06:13 PM.

#19 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 88 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted January 02 2021 - 09:30 AM

what a headache this is.  Welcome to Cuomo land.   Yeah Jerrys does stock the fixed mag kits.  I got an email the other day they were anyways.  But looks like you sold it already.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users