243 Remington - Page 2 - Bolt Action [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

243 Remington

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 709 posts

Posted November 24 2020 - 03:06 PM

By no means am I disagreeing with anyone's comments above.   I just think that either a completely ignorant salesperson at Walmart, or a sly salesman who could not move that deer rifle, took advantage of that young lady.

At any other time.....yes

but gun stores are basically completely empty of inventory  right now...I went into a large gun store this week that normally carries hundreds of guns and they probably had less then 10-20 guns on hand. Most were bolt rifles or 22 rimfires

with that said 243 is a good choice for a woman, and Jeff cooper scout rifle concept was designed partially for times like these.  With its low recoil, self defense ammo available..even with today’s ammo shortage, easy manual of arms....it’s really not a bad choice. A woman could master the rifle faster then learning the shotgun. I know the women in my house did

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 242 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 24 2020 - 06:43 PM

If you go to Hunter Sports, they seem to have plenty of inventory.   I'd argue that any rifle is inappropriate for home defense.  Unless perhaps your house is so big that each of your rooms is the size of a basketball court. 

• pequa1 likes this

#23 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 24 2020 - 09:56 PM

For whatever reason, my reponses keep disappear

The 6.8 Remington SPC was getting a big push around 2005 with Spec Ops in Afghanistan and Iraq in the AR platform. It was being compared to the .270 Winchester.

I have one, it's a nice caliber for what they wanted

Spec Ops was looking for something with a bit more Ooomph that would work in the M4 size platform

Edited by NRATC53, November 24 2020 - 10:01 PM.

#24 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 24 2020 - 09:57 PM

The 6mm Remington is one of those calibers that was going against the .243 Winchester for a short time.

I know, the .244 (6mm Rem) is a nice round, good long distance caliber. Ask the Clock tower guy back in '64. I have a Rem 788 in it, as well as a 742

#25 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 25 2020 - 12:42 PM

For whatever reason, my reponses keep disappear

I have one, it's a nice caliber for what they wanted

Spec Ops was looking for something with a bit more Ooomph that would work in the M4 size platform

Odd, I think I can see your responses, which BTW, are spot on as usual.

I still wish the young lady had gone to another store selling firearms to see if she could have done better than a bolt action rifle for HD.   You miss once with a bolt gun and any perp is on you before you know it.

• NRATC53 likes this

#26 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 25 2020 - 06:31 PM

That's why you need a good, solid, wood buttstock ton swing up and knock 'em in the chops, then buttstroke them with it, but that's not for everybody, it is usually when you're hip deep in bad guys

ETA: and Thank you

Edited by NRATC53, November 25 2020 - 06:31 PM.

#27 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 27 2020 - 11:46 AM

I'd argue that any rifle is inappropriate for home defense.  Unless perhaps your house is so big that each of your rooms is the size of a basketball court. 

it’s been proven over and over again that certain rifles penetrate less walls then shotguns and pistols.

In addition they are much more controllable for women who do not shoot often

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 28 2020 - 09:02 AM

When I was at Walmart in October, all they had was Winchester Deer Season .350 Legend. That cartridge has light recoil and is available in AR platforms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ISLIPFD