243 Remington - Bolt Action [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

243 Remington

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 864 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 19 2020 - 07:08 PM

So my daughter-in-law's sister decided she wanted to purchase a firearm for home defense. She went to Wally World and bought a bolt action rifle in 243 Rem. I just found out about this the other night when I saw her. I am not familiar with this chambering but I hear it is pretty common and would be good for a small woman.  (She didn't even know the brand of the rifle or the scope) I wouldn't have recommended this. A 20 ga. shotty would have been my choice but too late now.  I will have to take her to the range, sight it in and give her some lessons. Not looking forward to it. So, any comments on the 243?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 242 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 19 2020 - 09:19 PM

243 is a nice caliber, however, not really good for home defense.  Not too bad on the recoil, but more powerful than a .223.    What size barrel?  If it's a 24, the only way I see it used for home defense is as a bat. 

• phumb and a7vette2 like this

#3 martinp

martinp

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 55 posts

Posted November 20 2020 - 04:21 AM

a .243 is a necked down .308, way too much gun for domestic use.  it's a 100 grain bullet running at nearly 3000fps

I'd worry about the neighbors

• a7vette2 likes this

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 20 2020 - 10:44 AM

Most gun shops have run out of home defense firearms and selling inexperienced people high powered rifles. A Leveraction with iron sights is more suitable for home defense. Most gun training classes do not like a long gun for close quarters. Using a variable scope inside a home is tricky especially when most shootings are done in a dark environment.
By the way the .243 is a decent whitetail deer caliber for recoil sensitive people.
  • NRATC53, 4DR ZR1 and a7vette2 like this

#5 Mak44

Mak44

Gun Guru

• 2386 posts

Posted November 20 2020 - 11:12 AM

If she brought it from walmart, a .243 bolt action rifle.  My guess is it's a Savage axis or something similar.  This is more of a hunting rifle setup for youths, females or a person that doesn't want a lot of recoil. (I'm assuming walmart (like everywhere else) is out of shotguns, so the salesman talked her into the .243 rifle.)

The caliber and action wouldn't be my choice for H.D.   .243 caliber is a fast round. It's used for hunting and some target shooting. Not something I want to use for H.D. it can go through walls.  Plus bolt action is cumbersome for H.D.  What is she going to use for sights? I don't think there's any iron sights on it  (But then again H.D is close qtrs.) 

imo, She was better off buying a used Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22 or one of those foreign brand shotguns some place else.

• a7vette2 likes this

#6 martinp

martinp

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 55 posts

Posted November 20 2020 - 12:31 PM

or maybe one of those short rossi lever guns in .357

#7 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 20 2020 - 04:17 PM

Jeff cooper was a 243 advocate for women.  

Make it a scout or practical rifle and it would be a powerful home defense gun that could also be used for just about anything else

this is a great video on scout and practical rifles. There is even a dedicated forum for these rifles

https://www.youtube....h?v=-x7N8hLI2yM

• a7vette2 likes this

#8 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 20 2020 - 08:15 PM

By the way they make 243 self defense loads to avoid over penetration 

• NRATC53 and a7vette2 like this

#9 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 21 2020 - 06:28 AM

Ditch the scope, put a larger heads uo dot type of sight on it, and get a  heavy high expansion bullet. As I said over there, I saw an optic with a built in green laser that fits on a rail mount. Practice mounting the rifle to the shoulder target acquisition and firing, and cycling/reacquiring for the follow up shot. If she is experienced with a bolt rifle, fine- If not, get a 22 bolt and work on getting the mechanics of the steps down pat. Also, the necessary conversation about the use of deadly force, and the physiological and mental effects of such an encounter, and the aftermath

• phumb and a7vette2 like this

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 21 2020 - 12:08 PM

I am always bemused by these threads, but painfully so.    All the discussion centering around a low penetration high expansion bullet load, getting rid of the scope, firing it and working the bolt are all spot on.   However if one is not prepared to shoot to kill without hesitation a big dog is a much better solution.  I was getting calls and emails from friends and their spouses back in the spring and started with asking them two questions, any experience shooting or hunting and whether they had ever killed anything.  Anything.

Crickets.

• a7vette2 likes this

#11 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 21 2020 - 08:32 PM

I am always bemused by these threads, but painfully so.    All the discussion centering around a low penetration high expansion bullet load, getting rid of the scope, firing it and working the bolt are all spot on.   However if one is not prepared to shoot to kill without hesitation a big dog is a much better solution.  I was getting calls and emails from friends and their spouses back in the spring and started with asking them two questions, any experience shooting or hunting and whether they had ever killed anything.  Anything.

Crickets.

Hence the last sentence of my comment. It would be better to have a different type of firearm, etc. , just trying to make the best out of the hand that has been dealt, and hitting on that all important last sentence. I have seen those conditioned to kill freeze up, and have seen the most unlikely person beat someone down with the implements at hand. One never knows what one will do until the time comes

• grifhunter, phumb and pequa1 like this

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 22 2020 - 07:27 AM

All I ws trying to do is give the best solution for the hand being held

Edited by NRATC53, November 22 2020 - 07:28 AM.

• Ancap likes this

#13 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 22 2020 - 08:08 PM

deleted

Edited by NRATC53, November 22 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#14 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted November 23 2020 - 08:54 AM

.243 is an amazing deer rifle !!!     My last 2 deer was .243.   90 gr ammo.   1 shot.   Deer go nowhere.    and I can sit at the range for hours & practice.

• grifhunter likes this

#15 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted November 23 2020 - 08:47 PM

and aren't we talking about the .243 Winchester? Just checking

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 24 2020 - 06:10 AM

and aren't we talking about the .243 Winchester? Just checking

The 6mm Remington is one of those calibers that was going against the .243 Winchester for a short time.

#17 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 24 2020 - 09:11 AM

The 6mm Remington is one of those calibers that was going against the .243 Winchester for a short time.

And now we have the 6mm creedmore kicking ass in PRS competitions 

will 6mm ARC be the next best thing, especially in the AR-15 platform.....time will tell

#18 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 24 2020 - 10:10 AM

And now we have the 6mm creedmore kicking ass in PRS competitions 

will 6mm ARC be the next best thing, especially in the AR-15 platform.....time will tell

The 6.8 Remington SPC was getting a big push around 2005 with Spec Ops in Afghanistan and Iraq in the AR platform. It was being compared to the .270 Winchester.

#19 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 24 2020 - 12:00 PM

The 6.8 Remington SPC was getting a big push around 2005 with Spec Ops in Afghanistan and Iraq in the AR platform. It was being compared to the .270 Winchester.

I guess it depends what you want to achieve

i like the flatter trajectory of 6mm bullets and it’s soft recoil...although they say the recoil is not bad on the 6.8 either

#20 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 24 2020 - 12:44 PM

By no means am I disagreeing with anyone's comments above.   I just think that either a completely ignorant salesperson at Walmart, or a sly salesman who could not move that deer rifle, took advantage of that young lady.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ISLIPFD