Recently Moved from PA - Long island hunting confuses me - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Recently Moved from PA - Long island hunting confuses me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MongoloidCliff

MongoloidCliff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMineola

Posted November 18 2020 - 01:59 PM

Good Afternoon,

Recently moved from PA and I am very confused how to go about hunting in suffolk. Sorry if these are dumb questions. I thought filling out the doe permits in PA was hard (that will make sense to a few) 

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help.

From what i can tell, Suffolk deer hunting is early October and then a late season Jan 3 - 31st. (i think) - the October season is bow only but the Jan season you can use a shotgun with a permit? I don't have a bow, yet but if I wanted to get a shotgun permit its a lottery system? seems like my best bet is to get a bow and practice. 

Buying a "big game" license consists of Antlered deer, bear, and turkey? is there an antler restriction? 

The doe permit process is utterly confusing. Its also a lottery system? 

lastly, if I get a bow where is the best place to practice? i am currently living in Mineola Nassau county. 

thank you in advance for any time you can provide. 

Cliff

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Trublu

Trublu

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 605 posts

Posted November 18 2020 - 05:47 PM

You have it mostly right, no antler restrictions and doe permits are pretty much guranteed and once you shoot a doe they will give you another doe permit (deer are a problem on long island) 2 options for bow hunting but your restricted to ine because you live in nassau, theres a suffolk permit for suffolk land for residents only and a state land access permit you can get (online). This is all bow, january shotgun is a lottery.

#3 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2027 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted November 18 2020 - 08:55 PM

From what i can tell, Suffolk deer hunting is early October and then a late season Jan 3 - 31st. (i think) - the October season is bow only but the Jan season you can use a shotgun with a permit? I don't have a bow, yet but if I wanted to get a shotgun permit its a lottery system? seems like my best bet is to get a bow and practice. 

Bow season is 10/1 to 1/31 in most places.

January shotgun season. Need at least 10 acres per hunter. There is state land you can hunt such as in Rocky Point in Suffolk County. There is a lottery system for reservations at Rocky Point and Otis Pike. Check out the DEC website for more information.

Buying a "big game" license consists of Antlered deer, bear, and turkey? is there an antler restriction? 

No.

Essentially unlimited in Suffolk. Wildlife Management Unit 1C. Lottery in other wildlife management units. The lottery is over now. Just apply for other WMUS.

lastly, if I get a bow where is the best place to practice? i am currently living in Mineola Nassau county.

There are archery shops and archery clubs.

https://suffolkarche...-shop-listings/

Edited by Incognito, November 18 2020 - 08:56 PM.

• NRATC53 likes this

#4 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2027 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted November 18 2020 - 09:47 PM

DEC January shotgun season:

DEC Announces New Online Survey for January Deer Drawing for Suffolk County Firearms Season 

To hunt deer on DEC-managed lands during the firearms season in Suffolk County (Jan. 3 – 31, 2021) hunters must enter a drawing. The procedures for entering the drawing have changed from last year, and details are below.

New for 2020 - To enter the drawing, hunters must complete a survey

To complete the survey and enter the drawing, hunters must fill out their name, email address, DEC customer ID, and county of residence. The completion and submission of the survey automatically enters the applicant in the drawing. The drawing number will be returned via email after the drawing date.

For more information or if unable to access the survey online, call DEC's Region 1 Wildlife office at 631-444-0310. Callers may need to leave a message. All messages will be returned as soon as possible. If you have already submitted an entry by mail, please call the Region 1 Wildlife office for further instruction. Do not enter the drawing multiple times as duplicate entries will be removed.

DEC will accept online applications through 4:45 p.m. Nov. 30, 2020. Anyone unable to complete the online survey should contact the Region 1 Wildlife Office (631-444-0310) before Nov. 30, 2020.

• NRATC53 likes this

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted November 19 2020 - 08:46 PM

Good Afternoon,

Recently moved from PA and I am very confused how to go about hunting in suffolk. Sorry if these are dumb questions. I thought filling out the doe permits in PA was hard (that will make sense to a few) 

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help.

thank you in advance for any time you can provide. 

Cliff

You have it mostly right, no antler restrictions and doe permits are pretty much guranteed and once you shoot a doe they will give you another doe permit (deer are a problem on long island) 2 options for bow hunting but your restricted to ine because you live in nassau, theres a suffolk permit for suffolk land for residents only and a state land access permit you can get (online). This is all bow, january shotgun is a lottery.

Don't forget (to further confuse things) Many Towns require you to get a permit from them as well

#6 notphilivey

notphilivey

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 86 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted November 20 2020 - 05:46 AM

it is confusing 

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4925 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 20 2020 - 10:18 AM

OP,   (not a fan of your user ID so it will be OP)

Are you good to go regarding hunter safety and bow safety certification.   (I assume so.)

As a Nassau county resident, you can get a leisure pass for about 30 or 35 bucks and sight in your shotgun at 29 yards in the indoor range at Mitchel Field in Uniondale, just down the road from you.

That same leisure pass will allow you unrestricted (sometimes they check for leisure passes on weekends) at Cedar Creek Park, off Merrick Road on the Seaford/Wantagh border.   There is a BYO archery field opposite the children's playground (yes, you read that right, this is New York after all where little makes sense at times.)   The field is bordered by a practically see through wood stockade fence but goes well over 150 yards to a berm, where you will be shooting in a southerly direction.   High winds can be a problem.   Weekends there can be a zoo as ignorant parents have taken their Hunger Games descendants and while standing behind them let the little rug rats run to get all three of their arrows without waiting for a "CLEAR" call from other archers.   No broadheads, and, I believe, no crossbows allowed.   Saturday mornings will also see a group of Nassau Bowmen (google them) sometimes in a tournament.   They have a small locked shack just N, of the range.   There are only three picnic tables to lay your gear on inside the fence so be prepared to lay your stuff on the ground.   Speaking of stuff, its strictly BYO.  No targets, rental equipment, and most importantly no range officer.  Park just north of the children's playground.   Only on nice days is that lot full.  With regard to where to buy a bow, I was quite happy 7 or 8 years ago when I went to Smith Point Archery in Patchogue on Montauk Highway a block west of 112.   I will attach my admittedly biased review below.  If you are, tongue in cheek, working from home, try Cedar Creek on a weekday first.

Regarding Suffolk hunting, I am now on a nuisance permit but this may be the first year I do the shotgun lottery in January after a four year hiatus. Do not let the term lottery discourage you !       While its possible that if you get a very high number in the drawing you would not be able to get a spot and a date for two weeks into the January season, I have rarely gotten a date later than January 11.    One year I got a number like 53, selected my date and spot and a month later experienced zero degrees plus a stiff wind.    For the first time this year, because of the china virus, you apply online, not sure if that will last for the 21-22 season.   Anyway, besides being "stuck" with a single spot that you chose, on a date that you also selected a month earlier, you can also appear out at the Ridge DEC check station and go "standby."   There are always a few spots available since people have stuff come up and can not hunt on the date they selected weeks earlier.  You will need one of the pieces of paper from your original shotgun hunt to go standby, which back in the early 2000s I did several times.   For bow hunting on Suffolk state properties I will hope that someone else chimes in.   My knowledge is old and useless from what I can see on the website now.

"I am much closer to C & B (NOW CLOSED)and before his passing my buddy worked there quite a bit, being the then President of Suffolk Archers.
I went to Smith Point.   You will get mixed reviews re: C and B, very few negatives regarding Smith Point.   I posted the following over a year ago.

Went last night for the lesson provided gratis upon purchase of a new bow.   I had previously exchanged some  informative emails with Jared there, (who replies within a work day) and ten days ago spent a long time selecting my first compound with Craig.   My
friend and hunting partner, who helps DEC Hunter Safety provide some of the certificate courses at Smith Point Archery, and I, had discussed what I was looking for in a bow, and presented this rough list to Craig when I showed up.  While Craig could have gone to a more expensive line, he instead felt that the more adaptable bow, keeping in mind my parameters and preferences, was probably the Martin Cougar package.   ( I did not express any manufacturers preference and by mere chance, which no one knew, my recurve is a Martin.)  Craig explained the various upgrades that I could and should consider, some of which I selected such as tool-less adjustable sights, a better stabilizer, an adjustable release, etc.  Again, this was dealing with a fellow archer and not a salesman, and hopefully the owner of Smith Point Archery, if he sees this, will understand my intent and compliment. Although I showed up on an afternoon during bowhunting season, I went off for a Carvel next door, while Dave the mechanic immediately went to work setting up my bow.   Upon returning, still another archer there, Tim, set me up at the large indoor range where I shot my first arrows from a compound bow.  Getting back to last night's lesson, it was practically a private hour plus lesson as Craig had just myself and one other gentleman in the classroom/range, while Craig's wife assisted a young lady with her own lesson.  I fired away until my shoulder was thoroughly fatigued, lol, and not due to any time constraints, all the while being advised by Craig with release, follow through, grip, etc.  I can definitely see availing myself of the free range time also provided upon purchase, of a year's duration, this winter trekking out to Patchogue.  (for those interested or influenced, its 200 yards west of 112 on East Main St.)  I might mention that living in Nassau there were a couple of closer shops I could journey to, but unlike them, I had never heard a single negative about Smith Point."

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11247 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 20 2020 - 10:27 AM

Many local villages and towns have no discharge or no hunting local laws. You need to check the areas you hunt. A minimum of 10 acres is required to hunt on private property during the January special firearm season. You need a Town permit and land owners signature giving you permission to hunt his parcel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users