Red dot sights on pistol - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Red dot sights on pistol

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pewpew2020

pewpew2020

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 18 2020 - 03:21 AM

Any thoughts on different expectations from 3moa vs 6moa? Will be shooting on a G-41 MOS advantages and disadvantages?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 18 2020 - 09:57 AM

I'd say it really depends on your goal.  3 moa will give more precision, but 6 moa is a lot faster to visually pick up and target with.  For SD, 6 moa is generally recommended.

https://nygunforum.c...tol-dots.28527/

#3 pewpew2020

pewpew2020

Respected Gunowner

• 100 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 18 2020 - 08:55 PM

Yah i see that a lot in these forums but unfortunately for as many of that response there’s someone saying their eye doesn’t pick up the 6 that much faster to merit sacrificing the tighter grouping further away lol.

#4 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 248 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 19 2020 - 07:43 AM

If it's mostly for the range, that might be true, but I believe in an SD situation with more scenery/distractions, the 6 moa is better.

#5 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7247 posts

Posted November 19 2020 - 12:00 PM

The eye doesn't pick it up any faster doesn't make sense to me. Does your eye spot something faster that is twice the size of something else everything else being equal?

#6 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 721 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted November 19 2020 - 06:08 PM

Most red dots allow you to increase the lighting. Most work just fine in bright day.

I think 3 MOA is best because it is more accurate, IMO.

#7 MRR

MRR

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 474 posts

Posted November 19 2020 - 07:34 PM

My eyes don't do iron sights anymore. My aging eyes can't focus on the front sight too well. Sooo I went the red dot route. I was in the same boat too big vs. little dot, accuracy vs. speed. One thing I did notice was it isn't easy to pick up that dot. The first few times I dry fired had trouble finding the dot. It does take practice. I finally decided on the Holosun 507c which has a 2 MOA dot in the middle of a large 32 MOA circle. Think Eotech sight that's what it looks like so sorta the best of both worlds. I use it to shoot USPSA matches and since the ranges can be anywhere from point blank to 20 yards, I can use the big circle to find the dot easier in short ranges and so long as the circle covers the center of mass you're assured of a hit. I can then use the center dot for further shots. Again it does take practice. I've only used it in 2 matches so far as what with the pandemic and all. I'm not fast at all but I I do my part the shots go where I want it to. 

#8 Simong

Simong

Respected Gunowner

• 175 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted November 19 2020 - 11:04 PM

Got 2 pistols with RDS, G-19 Holosun 507C = 2.5 MOA dot,  & Shadow-2 with Trijicon SRO 5-MOA.

I shoot well with both guns, to shoot well you MOST practice. The beauty of RDS system you can practice dry and you will know if you do well or not.

If you want to shoot tight bullseye target 20 yards & up I think you should go with the smaller dot since it covers less of the target @ distance.

Closer distance & SD bigger dot usually = faster acquisition of the dot & the skill.

Go on Youtube a lot of good info from guys like Modern Samurai Project = the best RDS instructor.  SageDynamics = Aaron Cowan also top notch, and many more. 

Good luck... 

Simong.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users