.223 vs 5.56 which is better for hunting? - AR - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

.223 vs 5.56 which is better for hunting?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 michael18

michael18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted November 10 2020 - 02:45 AM

When we talk about .223 and 5.56 both are identical in shape. In fact, we can load a .223 in a 5.56 chamber and both cartridges are widely used in AR guns. So the question is. Is it possible to hunt big games like a Bear or Deer in any of these cartridges or? Is there any gun customization needs to do for big game hunting.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 10 2020 - 08:15 AM

Most states don't allow hunting big game with .223 or 5.56.  Why would you want to choose that caliber for big game?

#3 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 10 2020 - 09:00 AM

• highdice likes this

#4 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 10 2020 - 09:37 AM

https://www.realtree...as-a-deer-rifle

https://outdoorempir...m/ar15-hunting/

https://americanweap...hunting-you-bet

Its all about shot placement and the bullet itself.  But I would not use one for bear.   

• Ancap likes this

#5 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 10 2020 - 11:10 AM

There are some great hunting cartridges with heavy bullets in .223...not so much in 5.56

223 works awesome with deer inside of 200 yards. Some 223 has the same energy as a 30-30 with a flatter trajectory and less recoil

plenty of states allow 223, including New York

• pequa1 likes this

#6 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7925 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted November 10 2020 - 05:32 PM

Sure it can be done.   The question is why do it.  You can buy proper deer rifles all over for $250-300. 

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 10 2020 - 06:50 PM

If a followup shot is needed, with so little recoil I am still on target.   And speaking of recoil, those who may be more sensitive than others can fire 5.56 without, shall we say, "anticipation."

Plus, at a hundred yards, I can go for head shots with an AR.   I just can't do that with my Marlin in .35 Remington.  And finally, I already own an AR and except for the Marlin just have a rifled barrel shotgun for deer now.

• Ancap likes this

#8 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 720 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted November 10 2020 - 07:19 PM

I don't think either are great for bear...maybe consider getting a 7.62x39 upper? Of course, if you would consider a new upper, check out the 6.5 grendel or 450 bushmaster. IMO, they are a little better suited for larger animals. If you don't want to spend a lot, look at Palmetto State Armory. If money is really tight, look at Bear Creek Arsenal. I have a few cheapo BCA and they work just fine--not super accurate (ie 2-3 MOA), but at short distances for hunting in the northeast, they all should be fine.

My 2 cents worth.

#9 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 10 2020 - 07:40 PM

Sure it can be done.   The question is why do it.  You can buy proper deer rifles all over for $250-300. 

no recoil and I can see the impact of my shot. In addition 22lr and 223 is what I shoot most. I’m proficient with the two cartridges and can shoot sub MOA  with them

#10 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 10 2020 - 07:45 PM

I don't think either are great for bear...maybe consider getting a 7.62x39 upper? Of course, if you would consider a new upper, check out the 6.5 grendel or 450 bushmaster. IMO, they are a little better suited for larger animals. If you don't want to spend a lot, look at Palmetto State Armory. If money is really tight, look at Bear Creek Arsenal. I have a few cheapo BCA and they work just fine--not super accurate (ie 2-3 MOA), but at short distances for hunting in the northeast, they all should be fine.

My 2 cents worth.

Most agree it’s not a bear cartridge. But nobody told the Inuit who use them for giant bears and caribou often

• pequa1 likes this

#11 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 198 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted November 11 2020 - 08:46 PM

Get a 300 blackout upper. I built one and taken out in the woods but no deer. And not because of missing.

I have the Nikon 300 Blk scope and with the Sig 125gr I am punching 1 moa all day long. Hunting round of choice is the Barnes Vortex 120gr with the black tip. Also about 1 mom from my rifle.

Recoil is almost nothing compared to my 308s and of course follow up shots are super easy. This would also be a great hog rifle.

#12 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 709 posts

Posted November 11 2020 - 11:30 PM

Get a 300 blackout upper. I built one and taken out in the woods but no deer. And not because of missing.

I have the Nikon 300 Blk scope and with the Sig 125gr I am punching 1 moa all day long. Hunting round of choice is the Barnes Vortex 120gr with the black tip. Also about 1 mom from my rifle.

Recoil is almost nothing compared to my 308s and of course follow up shots are super easy. This would also be a great hog rifle.

heavier 223 hunting rounds have more knock down power and a flatter trajectory then 300 blackout.  Plus it’s cheap to shoot large quantities of rounds. 

Plus you can build accurate 4 pound 223 rifles cheap

im not knocking 300 blackout. But modern 223 cartridges has really made it a much more versatile tool then in the past

#13 BUDSCon

BUDSCon

Respected Gunowner

• 122 posts

Posted November 25 2020 - 04:57 PM

You cannot go wrong with .308, it will lay out anything in the Northeast...............

#14 Mak44

Mak44

Gun Guru

• 2386 posts

Posted November 25 2020 - 06:52 PM

Hmm..  

1st post. from Fla sign-in on a NY forum.

This is this for your article, right?  "gun-customization" 

Hunting? Sure

• Swstock likes this

#15 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1665 posts

Posted November 25 2020 - 08:50 PM

FOH. Guy makes the same post on multiple boards and disappears.

https://sbg-sword-fo...6-which-hunting

http://www.thehuntin...pic.php?t=56879

https://www.xdtalk.c...hunting.451240/

Edited by Swstock, November 25 2020 - 09:13 PM.

• Mak44 likes this

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 26 2020 - 06:16 AM

About 30 years ago, I was hunting with a gentleman that used his Ruger Mini-14 in .223 to hunt Deer with. He used a factory 55 grain Soft Point bullet. I was using at the time a Ruger Mini-30 in .762x39 using factory Federal 123 grain soft point.
One of the other hunters was questioning him about using that rifle. He said every deer I shoot is dead. He liked the light recoil and ease of carrying it in the woods.
The doe he shot at around 100 yards ran 50 yards, double lung shot with the size of quarter exit. In New York, we are allowed to hunt deer with any centerfire rifle cartridge. Some states have restrictions on using the .223 for deer hunting. The 5.56 doesn’t have a large selection of factory hunting ammunition when compared to the .223 Remington.

#17 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 242 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 26 2020 - 03:39 PM

Nice catch.  If there was any doubt it was a troll post, he signed up on each board using different names (Michael, Gary,Richard).   Very odd.

• Swstock likes this

#18 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1143 posts

Posted November 26 2020 - 10:42 PM

The 1st hint was Florida.

• Swstock likes this

#19 dextron

dextron

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

#20 do0zer

do0zer

Gun Guru

• 2896 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Honestly you'll probably get yelled at using either those calibers for hunting.... The goal is to make the death instant... If your hunting wild boar or maybe the smaller deer (german shepards with long legs) you find down south it may be ok: but I would recommend using a higher weight and power caliber... I do not recommend 223 or 556 for large game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users