Florida Non-resident License Timeline - Out Of State Licensing - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Florida Non-resident License Timeline

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7212 posts

Posted October 09 2020 - 06:50 PM

Since the plan is to spend five months or more in FL each year I applied for their non-resident license. Here is the timeline.

8/14 - mailed application with photo, DD-214 (acts as proof of firearms training), completed fingerprint card (prints taken at 3rd precinct) and check for $97.

8/24 - check cleared bank

9/24 - application approved

10/7 - license received

You can download the application and request fingerprint cards be mailed to you from the Florida Department of Agricultural website (yes, the licensing is done through the Dept. of Agricultural). The fingerprint cards are free (took about a week to get them) and Suffolk PD charges $10 and change for each card (you only need to submit one fingerprint card). You do not have to have a NYS pistol license to apply.

I know this is stating the obvious but NYS needs to get its act together. There is no reason it should take a year to get this done and that it should require references.
  • irondog likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 irondog

irondog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted October 10 2020 - 07:26 AM

Since the plan is to spend five months or more in FL each year I applied for their non-resident license. Here is the timeline.

8/14 - mailed application with photo, DD-214 (acts as proof of firearms training), completed fingerprint card (prints taken at 3rd precinct) and check for $97.

8/24 - check cleared bank

9/24 - application approved

10/7 - license received

You can download the application and request fingerprint cards be mailed to you from the Florida Department of Agricultural website (yes, the licensing is done through the Dept. of Agricultural). The fingerprint cards are free (took about a week to get them) and Suffolk PD charges $10 and change for each card (you only need to submit one fingerprint card). You do not have to have a NYS pistol license to apply.

I know this is stating the obvious but NYS needs to get its act together. There is no reason it should take a year to get this done and that it should require references.

Thanks for sharing. Highly recommend people get the FL non-res CCW license. It's also worth noting that you can schedule an appointment at their various locations to go through the process in person and have your fingerprints scanned digitally by them along with photos, etc. They process and send license in the mail. When I did mine a few years ago, was told approximately 90 days, and that was during the Christmas break. Well from start to finish, it took about 3 weeks. That being said, during the pandemic, they may not accept physical appointments, but who knows. The bottom line is the process was super smooth. I also found PA to be just as smooth.

#3 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7212 posts

Posted October 10 2020 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for sharing. Highly recommend people get the FL non-res CCW license. It's also worth noting that you can schedule an appointment at their various locations to go through the process in person and have your fingerprints scanned digitally by them along with photos, etc. They process and send license in the mail. When I did mine a few years ago, was told approximately 90 days, and that was during the Christmas break. Well from start to finish, it took about 3 weeks. That being said, during the pandemic, they may not accept physical appointments, but who knows. The bottom line is the process was super smooth. I also found PA to be just as smooth.

As you mentioned they're doing the in person applications due to Covid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users