Gunsmith - Suffolk or east end? - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Gunsmith - Suffolk or east end?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 08 2020 - 11:11 AM

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Suffolk or out east? I have a dovetailed front sight I want switched out for a new sight, but the new sight will need some fitting, so I am reluctant to try it myself. I would prefer someone with experience.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 668 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 08 2020 - 11:22 AM

Man, get a harbor freight 30x1 inch sanding machine. Use 1000 grit and slowly sand away on the sight, until it fits. Don’t sand too much...a little at a time. Get an aluminum sight pusher from smile.amazon.com. Don’t forget tot set smile.amazon.commto Gun Owners of America as the charity organization.

Now you can fit your sight and adjust it at the range in case it needs to be pushed in the future.

#3 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6244 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 08 2020 - 11:26 AM

Try Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram, (631) 736-0065. The smith's name is Dave. They've been doing my smithing, for more than 30 years.

Gary

• highdice and Patty O like this

#4 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 09 2020 - 11:32 AM

I was able to find someone in Westhampton, and got my sight switched out. An older retired machinist guy who seems to do gunsmithing out of this gun shop located in the Westhampton airport:

https://niosillc.com/

friendly and talkative guy, works from a small bench in the store, and he was very interested in showing me everything he did so I could do it myself next time. I would say the front sight is a bit off center, but he thought it looked centered. I’m heading out to try it today, we’ll see if I have to tap it over a little.

other places I called talked about dropping off, and waiting two weeks for it to come back, and some people I talked to said they have had things come back wrong and then you need another two week turn around, so I was very glad to find someone who could do the work while I waited and watched.

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11197 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 09 2020 - 04:41 PM

I was able to find someone in Westhampton, and got my sight switched out. An older retired machinist guy who seems to do gunsmithing out of this gun shop located in the Westhampton airport:

https://niosillc.com/

friendly and talkative guy, works from a small bench in the store, and he was very interested in showing me everything he did so I could do it myself next time. I would say the front sight is a bit off center, but he thought it looked centered. I’m heading out to try it today, we’ll see if I have to tap it over a little.

other places I called talked about dropping off, and waiting two weeks for it to come back, and some people I talked to said they have had things come back wrong and then you need another two week turn around, so I was very glad to find someone who could do the work while I waited and watched.

Seems like a good experience, most gun shops do not have a gunsmith available and will send the work out. I hope this gunsmith has experience in revolvers and pistols.

#6 highdice

highdice

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 612 posts
  • LocationManorville

Posted October 09 2020 - 06:19 PM

Try Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram, (631) 736-0065. The smith's name is Dave. They've been doing my smithing, for more than 30 years.

Gary

They recently did work for me and I'm very happy.

#7 maierar

maierar

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 84 posts

Posted October 10 2020 - 12:42 PM

"https://niosillc.com/".  That's not Anthony Niosi, is it?

#8 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 13 2020 - 09:01 AM

"https://niosillc.com/".  That's not Anthony Niosi, is it?

Sorry don’t know.

#9 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 635 posts

Posted October 13 2020 - 05:35 PM

I’m a big fan of 782 custom gun works in Bohemia 

#10 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11492 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 13 2020 - 10:03 PM

How did it shoot.

#11 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 14 2020 - 06:05 AM

I’m a big fan of 782 custom gun works in Bohemia 

Thanks, they look very capable.

• Ancap likes this

#12 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 14 2020 - 06:09 AM

How did it shoot.

For me it shot great. I went from a front post sight with a gold bead, to a Lyman globe site to match the back peep sight. I can definitely get tighter groups shooting at black round targets. The post sight got lost in the black circle for my old eyes. It is much easier for me to see the alignment with a circle insert in the front sight.

I have ordered some more options, I am still fiddling with the sights. 

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11197 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 14 2020 - 06:48 AM

For me it shot great. I went from a front post sight with a gold bead, to a Lyman globe site to match the back peep sight. I can definitely get tighter groups shooting at black round targets. The post sight got lost in the black circle for my old eyes. It is much easier for me to see the alignment with a circle insert in the front sight.

I have ordered some more options, I am still fiddling with the sights.

What was his fee for the installation of the sight.

#14 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 14 2020 - 09:19 AM

What was his fee for the installation of the sight.

He asked for $30, I gave him $40. I think he can handle simple stuff, with his small bench at the shop. I m not sure of his full capabilities or skill. I was happy to get it switched while I waited, I do feel he was a little rough and marked things up a little, so I hesitate to give a full recommendation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users