PA non resident permit question - Nassau County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

PA non resident permit question

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 tbta02

tbta02

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationny

Posted October 03 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thinking of applying for one. Do I need to notify Nassau pistol license section if I'm issued one ?

• NYC_Under_Dictatorship likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 565 posts

Posted October 03 2020 - 06:07 PM

No need to notify Nassau County when applying for a PA Non-Resident CCW. You'll need to drive out Centre County, PA and apply in person.

#3 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 218 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted October 03 2020 - 06:21 PM

If you have a full carry you can go to Scranton - Lackawanna County

#4 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 720 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 03 2020 - 10:06 PM

The application takes a few minutes and you'll get the license almost immediately (at least mine was that fast).

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#5 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts
  • LocationEnslaved New Yorker

Posted October 04 2020 - 05:55 PM

I emailed Centre County 2 years ago for non resident. A detective emailed me the application, i filled out with WORD, printed and took off for a 3 hour drive

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#6 irondog

irondog

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 05 2020 - 12:29 PM

I emailed Centre County 2 years ago for non resident. A detective emailed me the application, i filled out with WORD, printed and took off for a 3 hour drive

I printed out the application and mailed it to the sheriff on September 14, just got my approval letter in the mail today.

#7 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 720 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 05 2020 - 01:00 PM

I printed out the application and mailed it to the sheriff on September 14, just got my approval letter in the mail today.

How do you get your photo?

#8 irondog

irondog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 05 2020 - 01:06 PM

How do you get your photo?

@Wowzer, as noted, I only received the approval letter. I will go to the sheriff's office to have my photo taken. Not sure if they will print the license on the spot as they do in Suffolk, but either way, the process was quick and smooth. Hope this is helpful.

#9 tbta02

tbta02

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationny

Posted October 05 2020 - 03:40 PM

applied online through Wayne County Sheriffs office . I have a full cary retired permit. they said hr 218 would cover me but the license wouldn't hurt 

• irondog likes this

#10 irondog

irondog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 05 2020 - 04:38 PM

applied online through Wayne County Sheriffs office . I have a full cary retired permit. they said hr 218 would cover me but the license wouldn't hurt 

I'm in Wayne Co as well. Spent a lot of my earlier life there. My father is retired NYPD with HR218 too, but he did get the CCW there as well for reason as you said. Good stuff.

• tbta02 likes this

#11 tbta02

tbta02

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationny

Posted October 05 2020 - 06:34 PM

friend has a target hunting restriction on his ny permit. will PA issue a non resident or does he have to have full carry?

#12 MRR

MRR

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 474 posts

Posted October 05 2020 - 07:16 PM

friend has a target hunting restriction on his ny permit. will PA issue a non resident or does he have to have full carry?

Have the target as well (Nassau County). No problems. 

#13 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted October 05 2020 - 07:32 PM

I thought Centre County was dead ?

#14 1911man

1911man

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 167 posts
  • LocationLevittown

Posted October 07 2020 - 06:22 AM

MRR, did you get yours in Centre County?

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 07 2020 - 08:07 AM

Only Centre County was issuing to non residents without a full carry license. Last I heard was you needed to make an appointment now because of the Chinese Virus.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 07 2020 - 08:17 AM

If you have a full carry you can go to Scranton - Lackawanna County

You need to make two trips. Like Wayne County, they will mail letters to the character references. Only Centre County issues in 20 minutes.

#17 crgordo

crgordo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 07 2020 - 10:49 AM

I'm in Wayne Co as well. Spent a lot of my earlier life there. My father is retired NYPD with HR218 too, but he did get the CCW there as well for reason as you said. Good stuff.

I'm in the retirement process and have a place in Wayne county, but only premise for NY, thinking of taking trip to Centre for non res and converting to res when full time.

• irondog likes this

#18 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 218 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted October 07 2020 - 12:02 PM

You need to make two trips. Like Wayne County, they will mail letters to the character references. Only Centre County issues in 20 minutes.

That must be something new. I got mine on the spot.

• tbta02 likes this

#19 MRR

MRR

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 474 posts

Posted October 07 2020 - 12:02 PM

MRR, did you get yours in Centre County?

Nope I grew up in western PA in Butler County. They do non-resident licenses there. Actually when I was there to renew someone else was there from a state west of PA. Even my brother from CA has his non-resident PA license. Since we have family there we go there every so often so renewal is usually not a problem. You do have to do it person. 

Edited by MRR, October 07 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#20 irondog

irondog

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 07 2020 - 01:41 PM

I'm in the retirement process and have a place in Wayne county, but only premise for NY, thinking of taking trip to Centre for non res and converting to res when full time.

@crgordo. If you're a property owner in Wayne Co., I would go to the Wayne Co. Sheriff's website and print out the CCW Application, follow the instructions and mail it in or drop it off at the sheriff's office in Honesdale when you are there next time. You can include a nice cover letter that you are requesting a non-resident CCW and indicate that you are a property owner as well and thus visit often. Then when you receive the approval letter, go back to Honesdale for your picture and license.

Update: I just saw on the Wayne County Sheriff's website that as of October 1, 2020, they are now accepting online applications as some other sheriffs are doing. It's also worth noting that some counties in PA may not issue non-resident licenses even though the Commonwealth supports it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users