First Time Visit to Mitchel Field - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

First Time Visit to Mitchel Field

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wilkens21

wilkens21

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted September 18 2020 - 08:04 AM

Doing a first time visit soon, and I'm looking at their webpage right now:

https://www.nassauco...le-Pistol-Range

Obviously the eye/ear protection I have and will be bringing my shotty with some slugs, but what does this mean exactly?

"Only Targets approved by Range personnel will be permitted"

Can someone give me an example of downloaded PDF/link of a target that they would accept (and that you've used), and I'm assuming that targets can printed on 8.5" x 11" paper or do they need something bigger than that? 

Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted September 18 2020 - 10:25 AM

basically they don't want us shooting paper targets of humans, although they sell that big badguy with a gun target, go figure.   But no Hillarys or Saddams, etc.   Any regular bullseye is permitted.   I print some out from websites like Remington's or http://www.printtargets.net/ on my PC and printer.   My only additional suggestion is to attach the target to another sheet of paper that will be the one to clip the target to, as this lowers the height of your target downrange. (so a plain sheet of paper glued or taped to the target below.)  I also bring a small roll of scotch tape that I put on the clip and top piece of paper as the clips are old and worn and have seen many guys lose their target to the sands downrange just by cranking it.  Please post a report on the range conditions you encountered afterward.   (china virus restrictions,  wait time,  etc.)

• ProGodProGunProLife, rlitman and wilkens21 like this

#3 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7035 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 18 2020 - 11:59 AM

basically they don't want us shooting paper targets of humans, although they sell that big badguy with a gun target, go figure.   But no Hillarys or Saddams, etc.   Any regular bullseye is permitted.   I print some out from websites like Remington's or http://www.printtargets.net/ on my PC and printer.   My only additional suggestion is to attach the target to another sheet of paper that will be the one to clip the target to, as this lowers the height of your target downrange. (so a plain sheet of paper glued or taped to the target below.)  I also bring a small roll of scotch tape that I put on the clip and top piece of paper as the clips are old and worn and have seen many guys lose their target to the sands downrange just by cranking it.  Please post a report on the range conditions you encountered afterward.   (china virus restrictions,  wait time,  etc.)

I have been there a few times recently.  

Masks are required, though I don't cover my nose while actually shooting, because it fogs up my glasses.  Nobody said anything.  

They are not closing every other shooting point, like they have been at Brookhaven.   The last 2 times, everyone there was in room 1, so they aren't making a lot of effort to spread people out.

I went near closing time on weekend nights the past 2 times and there was no wait.   Only a handful of shooters at the range.  I don't know what it is like at other times.   

#4 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2172 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted September 18 2020 - 12:25 PM

basically they don't want us shooting paper targets of humans, although they sell that big badguy with a gun target, go figure.   But no Hillarys or Saddams, etc.   Any regular bullseye is permitted...

From what I've seen, they allow any circular targets.  FYI, I suggest buying, rather than printing your own.  Copy paper from your printer doesn't punch out as clean a hole, as the super-recycled paper used in real targets.

Any targets that have a silhouette that is human in shape, or depicts a human (bad guys included), are only allowed if the shooter is law enforcement.  I'm not sure about silhouettes of animals (squirrels, deer, turkeys, etc.), but my guess is they will be fine.

• wilkens21 likes this

#5 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7035 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 18 2020 - 02:27 PM

From what I've seen, they allow any circular targets. FYI, I suggest buying, rather than printing your own. Copy paper from your printer doesn't punch out as clean a hole, as the super-recycled paper used in real targets.

Any targets that have a silhouette that is human in shape, or depicts a human (bad guys included), are only allowed if the shooter is law enforcement. I'm not sure about silhouettes of animals (squirrels, deer, turkeys, etc.), but my guess is they will be fine.

I think silhouettes are OK. You mainly need to avoid targets depicting real people, I think.

They are pretty relaxed there, as long as you follow the safety rules.

#6 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted September 18 2020 - 03:22 PM

going tomorrow i hope it will be as chilly as possible. Man it gets hot in there.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#7 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 153 posts

Posted September 18 2020 - 07:33 PM

My experience is that no one is minding the store. Stupid rules are posted here and there but once you pay your fee shooters are on their own. On the several occasions that I was there the guy who is apparently supposed to be watching the on-range activity was barely awake. He had his mask under his chin when I was there last. That range is a problem waiting to happen IMO.

Re targets: I used a scaled down man-shaped target. I didn't see any indication that anyone was concerned with what shooters used for targets.

#8 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 217 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted September 18 2020 - 10:32 PM

The bride and I usually go weekdays at about noon and rarely have to wait at all. The targets we use are scaled down humanoid and never raise an eyebrow. On our first go we were stopped by an ro because we were occupying the same stall as I instructed her in the use of her first handgun. Seems you can't operate anyone else gun. And they would rather a new shooter f--- up than learn from someone who is not a instructor recognized by them. On a subsequent go the place was crowded and we did have to wait about 15 minutes (a fart in a wind storm) LOL

That time we were both assigned to one lane. Go figure??? Ambiguity at its best. Yes the clips don't hold the paper targets very well so u just have to hit near the bull. Get yourself a Nassau County Card and if your a senior, range time is extremely cheep which kinda makes up for the BS rules initiated by our commie Cty. Exec. Senior discount w/card only M-Fri.  OH! NO A?C so don't go when its 80 degrees or higher as you may perish. Gee wiz, I almost wish we paid higher taxes maybe then we could be treated as good as those illegal aliens that are put up in Walmarts.

Happy shooting.

• pequa1 and a7vette2 like this

#9 notphilivey

notphilivey

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted September 19 2020 - 07:42 AM

There are no target police there. I am sure they just don't want you to be bringing in targets of our favorite anti second amendment NY politicians and the like. They sell them too. 5 for a buck or one super large one for a buck. 

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted September 19 2020 - 09:13 AM

I was told I could not shoot at turbaned arab looking targets I had about 4 years or more back, and once they came running in to tell me I could not take a sip from a water bottle I brought in.   other than that, and with the exception of cold in January and hot in July, 3 bucks for me as military before I turned senior, and now up to 4 bucks is quite a deal.  they do run you out when you get to 59 minutes if there is anyone waiting.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#11 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 19 2020 - 02:39 PM

once they came running in to tell me I could not take a sip from a water bottle I brought in.  

That was for your own safety.   Never ever eat or drink at a range.  There is a TON of lead dust in the air and all over the place from the lead styphnate in primers.

• rlitman likes this

#12 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted September 19 2020 - 03:38 PM

That was for your own safety.   Never ever eat or drink at a range.  There is a TON of lead dust in the air and all over the place from the lead styphnate in primers.

I know but I was fighting off a kidney stone and was trying to flush it out !  Last year some nitwit went to a range officer to complain the room was getting smoky.  I think they put him in another room.   Meh.    Granted I was shooting the last of remanufactured .45s I had but I just wonder what he would have done when the black powder guys come and shoot ?

#13 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 186 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 19 2020 - 05:58 PM

Black powder is not longer allowed at that range

#14 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted September 20 2020 - 04:21 PM

Black powder is not longer allowed at that range

Makes sense, which is a rarity in Nassau.   It was a while back when I met one of my colonels shooting his there.

#15 Krippledkrapp

Krippledkrapp

Respected Gunowner

• 148 posts

Posted September 20 2020 - 07:40 PM

There was a guy there shooting little inflated baloons taped to a piece of cardboard and no one said anything if that helps on how strict they are with targets.

I will say overall the range is great if you are a nassau resident for the convenience. In the summer it can get really hot.

Only other issue i have ever had is getting stuck in a room with knuckleheads acting like they are john wick or being a bit immature and or annoying about chatting when there.

#16 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted September 21 2020 - 08:20 AM

i like the range and this weekend i was with a class but the range was empty. It was nice and chilly so the shooting was perfect. I would love to hear some of the stories of how some holes were made. You see random holes here and there that shouldn't be there. One or two in the lockers opposite of the down range. A bunch in the walls of the stall. The ROs are usually lax unless they hear rapid fire which can occur here and there. I have also seen them allow shooters to open the gate and setup a bench rest using a folding table. They also supply sandbags and other things if you want to zero in your rifle. I think if you come alone your wait time tends to be faster even if its crowded. Sometimes its a hit or miss because they have classes, clubs and Leos practicing. There is no schedule posted for any of those, at least not that i see. They are cool if you call ahead and ask whats going on and best time to come. Then you will get a sense.

#17 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 153 posts

Posted September 21 2020 - 09:06 AM

For those of you who have waited to shoot; was the range actually full or did they leave rooms empty?

I was surprised that they crammed  everyone into two rooms when the remainder of the facility was empty. Covid would dictate that they spread shooters out whenever possible. Even some outdoor ranges use every other bench to minimize potential exposure.

#18 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted September 21 2020 - 09:10 AM

they do make you wear masks as you shoot which can lead to fogged up glasses etc. So the distance doesn't matter if your wearing the masks and you will wash your hands when you leave anyway. Then clean your gun throw your cloth in laundry from all the lead in the air. I'm sure the lead itself will kill the covid. lol

#19 Krippledkrapp

Krippledkrapp

Respected Gunowner

• 148 posts

Posted September 21 2020 - 06:33 PM

Went today and walked right in around 10a. As i was leaving around 11a there was about 7-8 people waiting out in the lobby. The random bullet holes all over definitely have some interesting stories behind them. Range one windows have holes, thats even more scary than all the wall holes and shooting point holes.

For the most part the range is what it is, no frills no extras, just a place to shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users