NYS Self-defense Laws - Page 3 - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

NYS Self-defense Laws

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2328 posts

Posted September 17 2020 - 08:44 PM

You claimed that no one testifies because they would gain immunity. Pointing out that anyone can sign a waiver and testify. Your anecdotal evidence is worthless. Plenty of defendants and potential defendants sign a waiver and testify. And understand, on a Grand Jury OR a Petit Jury, you and see and hear what they allow you to see and hear.

Totally agree with you on the fact that they only allow you to see and hear what they want you to hear.

The murder case in the home much background info was kept from us to not sway our decision..

Afterward the DA told us the back story.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 17 2020 - 09:43 PM

Totally agree with you on the fact that they only allow you to see and hear what they want you to hear.

The murder case in the home much background info was kept from us to not sway our decision..

Afterward the DA told us the back story.

Even to the extent that a DA may put a particular case into a particular Grand Jury if he thinks the defendant may get off with a different GJ. There are normally several running at the same time.

#43 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2328 posts

Posted September 17 2020 - 11:20 PM

Even to the extent that a DA may put a particular case into a particular Grand Jury if he thinks the defendant may get off with a different GJ. There are normally several running at the same time.

In Riverhead there are two running.

But for 1 week we got every case because the other jury had a case with over 100 witnesses... Bar fight and I believe someone was killed.

#44 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2008 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted September 18 2020 - 10:53 PM

No replies mentioned the suggestion of taking notes in the article.

That seems like a really bad idea to me.

#45 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 324 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 AM

First rule: Never talk to the police

Second Rule: Don't forget the First Rule

If you feel compelled to speak, speak thus: "I will answer all your questions once my lawyer gets here."

Once your lawyer gets there, you will say "On the advice of counsel I decline to answer under the 5th Amendment."

• only7rounds2 likes this

#46 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2653 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 AM

How many of us have the # of a criminal defense lawyer in our pocket and you will be looked at as a criminal

The only lawyer I know is my Real Estate guy'

So if I or we say " I want to speak to my lawyer who gets the call ?

#47 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 324 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted Yesterday, 12:56 PM

I have the names and numbers of five good criminal law guys with 24-hour answering service on my phone  and in my wallet. Probably better to memorize just one.

You can call a relative or friend if you don't know a lawyer's phone number.

If you fail to connect up on the first call, I believe they can keep you locked up until your arraignment, at which time you can ask the judge for the PD or for permission to make additional calls.

In any event, say nothing until a lawyer is with you.

• only7rounds2 likes this

#48 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 144 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted Yesterday, 01:50 PM

First rule: Never talk to the police

Second Rule: Don't forget the First Rule

If you feel compelled to speak, speak thus: "I will answer all your questions once my lawyer gets here."

Once your lawyer gets there, you will say "On the advice of counsel I decline to answer under the 5th Amendment."

We usually disagree but this time...even a broken clock is right twice a day!

100% spot on.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users