AR-15 training course, class, or private instruction that deal with fixed mag AR? - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

AR-15 training course, class, or private instruction that deal with fixed mag AR?

training class instruction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GimmeShelter

GimmeShelter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 06:47 AM

I'm looking for a beginner AR 15 class on LI, or anywhere within an 1-2 hour drive of NYC.

Any recommendations for classes within that criteria? Also open to private instruction to safely learn with a fixed magazine AR.

I saw Renaissance Firearms Instruction offering a 2 Hour Shooting & Safety package for $85 which seemed great. But I'm having a hard time finding other options in the tri-state area. Sig Sauer Academy is a far drive, but it looks good, it's well priced, and all supplies for class are provided, but it's sold out until March 2021. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 wilkens21

wilkens21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 08:16 AM

You can try American Combat Evolutions who can give private lessons and get their rate. 

a[email protected]

• GimmeShelter likes this

#3 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 08:33 AM

i did a couple of classes with renaissance and had a good time. The instructor was thorough and knowledgeable.

I would recommend the "NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course". It will not only teach you basics but also how to zero in your rifle. You will practice shooting at 50 yards and it's outside. The other class is too short and basic imo. I took both classes.

This weekend i have another class but trying a new school because of availability.

http://www.phase3training.com/

#4 GimmeShelter

GimmeShelter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 09:24 AM

You can try American Combat Evolutions who can give private lessons and get their rate. 

a[email protected]

Thank you! Didn't see them in any of my searches.

They don't have any scheduled beginner classes, but I'll reach out anyway just in case.

i did a couple of classes with renaissance and had a good time. The instructor was thorough and knowledgeable.

I would recommend the "NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course". It will not only teach you basics but also how to zero in your rifle. You will practice shooting at 50 yards and it's outside. The other class is too short and basic imo. I took both classes.

This weekend i have another class but trying a new school because of availability.

http://www.phase3training.com

Good to hear positive feedback about Renaissance; thank you!

Phase3's "The AR15" class sounds good, but it's not on their schedule.

The 'NRA Basic Rifle' course says it covers shotguns and rifles. Just have two questions, Do they split the time between rifles and shotguns?  And do you know if they accommodate fixed magazine ARs?

• GimmeShelter likes this

#5 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 10:00 AM

Not sure why they say shotgun and rifle. The class began with a 1-2 hour safety followed by a written test. They went over all functions, safety, cleaning of different style rifles. This information will give you a fundamental understanding of multiple types of firearms. Then you will be taught proper handling, stances and proper ways to shoot. You will then be able to fire different styles of rifles including your own if you bring it. Fixed mag AR will be much easier once you understand everything else. They also have enough time to go over it with you one on on. You will need like 5 mins tops. There is no difference between a fixed mag operation vs regular except for the loading. But there are magazine loaders you can buy that will make it much easier then opening the entire upper receiver.

When you get into the shooting part based on how many people in the class you will be grouped in 4's and work as a team to watch each other shoot and practice correct shooting. You will rotate different style rifles and zero in 3 shots each rifle. You will be given a test at the end and get a NRA certification on completion.

This class is a must and will make you feel very comfortable with any rifle. You will also get a textbook. There are multiple instructors to help with questions or anything that's needed.

This is like n 8 hour class with plenty of time for everything.

#6 GimmeShelter

GimmeShelter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15 2020 - 12:00 PM

Not sure why they say shotgun and rifle. The class began with a 1-2 hour safety followed by a written test. They went over all functions, safety, cleaning of different style rifles. This information will give you a fundamental understanding of multiple types of firearms. Then you will be taught proper handling, stances and proper ways to shoot. You will then be able to fire different styles of rifles including your own if you bring it. Fixed mag AR will be much easier once you understand everything else. They also have enough time to go over it with you one on on. You will need like 5 mins tops. There is no difference between a fixed mag operation vs regular except for the loading. But there are magazine loaders you can buy that will make it much easier then opening the entire upper receiver.

When you get into the shooting part based on how many people in the class you will be grouped in 4's and work as a team to watch each other shoot and practice correct shooting. You will rotate different style rifles and zero in 3 shots each rifle. You will be given a test at the end and get a NRA certification on completion.

This class is a must and will make you feel very comfortable with any rifle. You will also get a textbook. There are multiple instructors to help with questions or anything that's needed.

This is like n 8 hour class with plenty of time for everything.

Wow, thank you for such a detailed response.
Other than finding a private instructor/class, this is definitely at the top of my list for classes now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: training, class, instruction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users