Ammo shortages - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ammo shortages

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pewpew2020

pewpew2020

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 08 2020 - 11:08 PM

Hey All, has anyone been able to find a channel for pistol ammo? I made several stops on my way down to NC last week and came up empty everywhere!!!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 09 2020 - 12:46 AM

What is available is priced insane.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11163 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 09 2020 - 05:36 AM

Hey All, has anyone been able to find a channel for pistol ammo? I made several stops on my way down to NC last week and came up empty everywhere!!!

The small gun shop by me is so disappointed because he was shut down during the state ban on non essential businesses. He wished that he had invested more money on ammunition and stocked up on it last summer when he was able to buy ammo cheap.
The gun shops that use a certain gun distributor usually get limited supply of ammunition and firearms. The excuse I heard the clerk tell the customer was the factories are shut down because of the Chinese Virus.

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 320 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted September 09 2020 - 06:27 AM

Gunbroker.com has ammo at roughly triple retail.

That's OK for hunting but plinking centerfire has become a rich man's  hobby.

The best cure for high prices is high prices.

Capitalism in action. Better than waiting in line for days -- unless you are priced out.

#5 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 186 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 09 2020 - 06:34 AM

The best cure would be for the ammo companies to step up and start producing more ammo.  The excuse that they got burned before makes no sense.  They are leaving so much money on the table it's crazy and I don't see demand dropping off anytime soon this time round.  There are 3 driving forces behind this one.  Corona virus diminished production + increased gun purchases due to Corona,  BLM protests, defund the police and riot induced gun purchases and election year.  I would not be surprised if this shortage lasts more than 2 years.   Someone needs to start importing primers and ammo from overseas.

#6 joker18

joker18

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in NC

Posted September 09 2020 - 07:58 AM

Ammo is in short supply everywhere! I don't see it getting better until after the election, or maybe not, depending upon how the election goes.
  • sigmann45 likes this

#7 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2446 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted September 09 2020 - 08:06 AM

What is available is priced insane.

+100

#8 pewpew2020

pewpew2020

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 09 2020 - 01:21 PM

Yea.... i found 9mm at .60 a round, .45 and 38sp for 1.00 a round on outdoorlimitted.com.

#9 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7166 posts

Posted September 09 2020 - 01:38 PM

One supplier told me the major issue most recent has been getting primers.

#10 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 09 2020 - 04:56 PM

The issue is that everyone is buying up everything in sight.

• TJ Ironhorse, Fotheringill and covertjy like this

#11 jorel

jorel

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 193 posts

Posted September 09 2020 - 08:30 PM

The best cure would be for the ammo companies to step up and start producing more ammo.  The excuse that they got burned before makes no sense.  They are leaving so much money on the table it's crazy and I don't see demand dropping off anytime soon this time round.  There are 3 driving forces behind this one.  Corona virus diminished production + increased gun purchases due to Corona,  BLM protests, defund the police and riot induced gun purchases and election year.  I would not be surprised if this shortage lasts more than 2 years.   Someone needs to start importing primers and ammo from overseas.

I don't know if you watch fake news like the BBC, but when they said pandemic, they meant it. Much of Europe and Asia caught the Beer virus and their means of production has been out as well. Many nations are also having their own versions of BLM riots, so everyone is having versions of the same problem.

#12 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 769 posts

Posted September 10 2020 - 08:29 AM

Many people got caught with their pants down with primers. The result is over buying. The same is happening with ammo.

#13 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 3961 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted September 10 2020 - 08:36 AM

I'm disappointed that I burned through so much ammo last trip to the range with my brother.  If I knew then what I know now I would have only used the 22 LR instead of the boxes of 9mm.  I know it took some time last shortage to find the 22 LR so I bought that when I could find it.  Now you can't get ANYTHING from anywhere but secondary markets that are price gouging.  Does anyone have a crystal ball as to when the market will be saturated enough to make ammo available to users rather than "investors"?

#14 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2326 posts

Posted September 10 2020 - 08:54 AM

I'm disappointed that I burned through so much ammo last trip to the range with my brother. If I knew then what I know now I would have only used the 22 LR instead of the boxes of 9mm. I know it took some time last shortage to find the 22 LR so I bought that when I could find it. Now you can't get ANYTHING from anywhere but secondary markets that are price gouging. Does anyone have a crystal ball as to when the market will be saturated enough to make ammo available to users rather than "investors"?

Not before the election and if Joe and the Hoe win then it will really skyrocket
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#15 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2446 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted September 10 2020 - 11:16 AM

I often thought I had enough to last my lifetime. Looks like im gonna be testing that theory. I will not pay the insane prices that are out there.

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, September 10 2020 - 11:17 AM.

#16 joker18

joker18

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in NC

Posted September 10 2020 - 12:50 PM

I shopped around on the net last night and found there is still some ammo at a more or less reasonable price. There is a lot of hunting ammo for rifles however the FMJ stuff for shooting is more difficult to locate at a decent price. I did find one place that had .308 FMJ for $.68/round.

#17 pewpew2020

pewpew2020

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 10 2020 - 09:36 PM

Its really the pistol calibers that are all out of sorts. .60 for shit steel case 9mm and over 80cents for aluminum or brass... it sucks but just like any other market in the world.... supply and demand baby!

#18 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 10 2020 - 10:59 PM

There is a guy on Armslist asking $50 a box for blazer FMJ!

#19 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 320 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted September 12 2020 - 12:58 PM

The African cartridges are all available at their usual $5-8/rd price.

Move  up to .416 Rigby.

One round will take out four deer, if you can get them in a row.

Another advantage of these calibers is a box lasts a long time. I started a box of 500 gr., .458 win mag ten years ago and most of it is still in the box.

#20 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2951 posts

Posted September 13 2020 - 04:49 AM

Plenty of hunting ammo available.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users