Portland shooting -- self defense? - Out of State Crimes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Portland shooting -- self defense?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted September 02 2020 - 08:19 AM

Are you permitted to use deadly force against someone about to unlawfully use pepper spray on you?

That is, can you shoot someone who is threatening to incapacitate you?

See discussion at: https://www.buckeyef...ed-pepper-spray

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1359 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted September 02 2020 - 08:47 AM

Agree with writer... esp since he could step up in defense with a taser with also backup present

#3 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 136 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 02 2020 - 11:54 AM

You can not use DPF against "non" lethal force. DEPENDING ON THE CONTEXT. i.e. you CAN shoot someone who is firing a Taser at your head.

#4 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 67 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted September 02 2020 - 12:38 PM

Ohhh the laws are crazy sometimes and the average person now a day’s is probably hesitant to use deadly force . I feel bad for all the great law enforcement. They have to make spit second decisions sometimes and people forget there humans who make mistakes 

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11159 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 02 2020 - 01:34 PM

You can not use DPF against "non" lethal force. DEPENDING ON THE CONTEXT. i.e. you CAN shoot someone who is firing a Taser at your head.

Apparently not true in a Democratic run place. A White Cop is charged with murder because a fleeing felon who stole a police issued taser and fired at the head of that cop.
  • mason852 and only7rounds2 like this

#6 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7163 posts

Posted September 03 2020 - 04:16 PM

I disagree with the argument that in all circumstances deadly force cannot be used against someone that is about to spray you with Mace. If that person is using it offensively to commit a crime I think it is reasonable to believe the use of the spray is a first action in the process of a continued use of force to commit the crime (incapacitate with spray to do additional harm), possibly to disarm you of your weapon. If a person has asthma or some other serious respiratory illness getting sprayed could result in serious bodily injury. I would not make the blanket statement that in all circumstances the use of deadly force to prevent someone from macing you is always unjustified.

Edited by 2edgesword, September 03 2020 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users