Tick Protection?? - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Tick Protection??

ticks archery

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore Long Island

Posted August 25 2020 - 08:51 PM

Our tick population here on LI is insane. My wife has chronic Lyme disease which she cannot beat. So if I am an archer and wanttio hunt deer in the tick infested woods here, what do I do? If I spray repellant on my legs and pants I would imagine the deer will stay far away. If I don't the ticks will climb on. How does one proceed to NOT get ticks while archery hunting on Long Island.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Geicher7

Geicher7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 25 2020 - 09:36 PM

I’m in the Hamptons everyday for the past 5 years working in tick infested long grass and I have not had a tick on me in years. I started using this soap recommended by another guy in my field, Dr Bronners lavender soap instead of Ivory and I have not had a tick on me since.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#3 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4382 posts
  • LocationIn the basket somewhere

Posted August 25 2020 - 11:01 PM

I’m in the Hamptons everyday for the past 5 years working in tick infested long grass and I have not had a tick on me in years. I started using this soap recommended by another guy in my field, Dr Bronners lavender soap instead of Ivory and I have not had a tick on me since.

That is VERY useful information, mate. 

Thank you!

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#4 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts

Posted August 25 2020 - 11:17 PM

That's great info but I wonder whether the deer will like the Lavender smell.

• pequa1 and rlitman like this

#5 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 324 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted August 26 2020 - 07:51 AM

Permethrin is the best tick protection to apply to your clothes. It kills most 8-legged bugs on contact.

It is odorless to humans. The deer aren't talking.

Tuck your pants into your socks to keep them from crawling up your legs. This will not work with deer tick larvae, which will get through most socks and attack your ankles in a way you will never forget. It is too early in their life-cycle to carry Lyme, so that is one positive. Consider gaiters when larvae are active.

• grifhunter, pequa1 and kouzman like this

#6 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 324 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted August 26 2020 - 02:49 PM

I should add that permethrin gets diluted with water and sprays on.

Deet will dissolve nylon, as some campers find out after spraying their screens to repel no-see-ums. Permethrin, when diluted correctly with water, will not harm nylon.

• kouzman likes this

#7 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 189 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted August 26 2020 - 03:59 PM

Permethrin is the way to go. You can spray the house perimeter, grass etc. Just be careful if you have cats and fish in particular. It can be deadly for them. I try to spray about every month and a half and also treat my outdoors pants, shoes etc.

#8 phumb

phumb

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2565 posts

Posted August 27 2020 - 06:08 AM

Permethrin lasts a long time on clothes, spray the heck out of your pants.. leave outside let them dry and wash them as little as possible and they will last a long time treated.. I also used to wear hip boots that I sprayed as well... worked well... though a little hot early season.

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4898 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted August 27 2020 - 08:22 AM

Another fan of permethrin.   while the better half vastly prefers I spray it outside and not in the laundry room, there is very little scent noticeable after it dries.   the spray you get in the plastic bottle for about 17 bucks or less does not need dilution, but the oil based permethrin does.   I saved an empty regular spray bottle and mixed water and that stuff in it.    I did not notice any difference regarding hunting success, although I prefer the straight spray.   I also apply some of the diluted oil based permethrin to the perimeter of my abg pool.   The linings of said pools are cellulose based and I had two destroyed by termites.   If anyone knows of an alternative to treating the perimeter of my pool, legal or not but available, please pm me.

#10 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts

Posted September 05 2020 - 10:51 PM

I have used Permethrin on my dogs and no ticks climb on so IO know about it being effective.  I was just wondering if the deer behave differently in the presence of that sme

#11 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 150 posts

Posted September 06 2020 - 06:36 AM

I wore a one piece camo jump suit with the pant legs tucked into my boots. I sprayed everything with Permethrin. Before getting back into my car everything was removed and put into a heavy duty leaf bag. If ticks migrate off you and into the car seat then your kids, wife, or whomever can get exposed without ever taking a step in the woods. While this routine seemed effective, the ticks were just taking the fun out of bowhunting on LI. Even pre-season scouting required ridiculous precautions. I did get a zillion Lone Star ticks on one outing. They all got under my socks and are MUCH smaller than deer ticks.

After many years of battling ticks, I finally gave up. I still hunt all over the U.S. but leave L.I. hunting to those who are willing to tolerate the ticks.

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11165 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 06 2020 - 06:57 AM

A few preventative measures if you live in a tick area is maintaining the property. Mowing the grass weekly attracts birds that will eat many ticks and insects. A few landscaping companies offer spraying around the house.
The best advice is after being outdoors hiking or hunting leave and clothing in a bag, spray permethrin. If you transport a deer, make certain the carcass has cooled down. You can avoid bringing those ticks back to the house when you butcher it.

#13 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4898 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted September 06 2020 - 11:11 AM

Permethrin works to kill once it dries on the clothing.   Spraying it on the morning you are about to hunt is too late.  Sawyer even says not to saturate the clothes.  I drive home in my hunting clothes from eastern Long Island, figuring that if there is a tick or two on my boots or gaiters they will die once they climb onto my pants.  Once home I strip off everything and put it in a big container.   It would be one lucky tick that never ventures off an unsprayed article of clothing.  So far so good.

• grifhunter likes this

#14 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2653 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted September 06 2020 - 11:58 AM

If you hunt with your dogs or your dog gets a tick I want to mention a product called Resultix  it is a spray which makes the tick back out and die within an hour of

application. so no tweezers or parts of the tick remaining which can cause inflammation. it is not cleared for human use but "I know a guy" who had a tick pretty well embedded and he put it on with a Q tip and Mr. Tick was gone in an hour. i AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS but I saw it work Again it is NOT cleared for human use

#15 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2952 posts

Posted September 07 2020 - 08:48 PM

I just googled it.  How come it isn't advertised as a tick repellent ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ticks, archery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users