Calverton - what do I need to bring? - Page 2 - Suffolk County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Calverton - what do I need to bring?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted September 01 2020 - 08:24 AM

Range Checklist

“Blue bag” w/ yellow binder, tools

Plastic box w/   2 Recoil pads,  2 pair ear muffs,  Shooting glasses,  knee and elbow pads,   cleaning kit w/ some patches,   Brass catchers

Tripod shooting rest

Spotting Scope,    ( 10X Binoculars, optional )

Ammunition  for each firearm, in ammo boxes

Preloaded mags for each firearm, in plastic boxes

Stapler, staples, push pins, duct tape, string 

Target sheets for rifle and pistol, Large Corrugated Cardboard sheets, 

Food , drink in cooler                                       

Clay thrower, clays,

12 ga. &  20 ga.shotshells, 3 boxes ea.

Pistol case, all long guns hard cased.              

Belt, Holster for CCW, baseball cap

Granted, this is for an all day Calverton "event" and with the prices Harry charges for shooting clays I may as well delete those two lines.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 cprstn54

cprstn54

Banned

• Banned
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted September 02 2020 - 08:39 AM

Very good list.

Both Calverton and Brookhaven firing lines seem to be much windier than their surroundings and you are inactive, so bring a jacket when it gets even a little cooler, say below 72.

Also one of those close-focusing monoculars is helpful for 22 handgun.

• rlitman likes this

#23 wilkens21

wilkens21

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted October 10 2020 - 09:12 AM

For non clay areas, are there any restrictions at Calverton for shotgun loads like at Mitchel Field (only slugs permitted)? Can fire 00 buck etc ? 

#24 ColtEd

ColtEd

Sharp Shooter!

• 431 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted October 10 2020 - 09:42 AM

I'm sure many of you fellas remember ol' George with his beat up old Chevy at the gate. He would have the trunk open, loaded with all sorts of ammo for sale and I believe the "Price of admission" was 3 bucks.....Hell, you could bring an grenade launcher there, it wouldn't matter, as long as you had cash in hand !!

• rlitman and Lou G like this

#25 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 717 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 11 2020 - 07:26 AM

For non clay areas, are there any restrictions at Calverton for shotgun loads like at Mitchel Field (only slugs permitted)? Can fire 00 buck etc ? 

I recall that they dont want you to use anything but slugs at the rifle side. They said that the buckshot destroys the target holders.

There is a shotgun field that you can use birdshot (I dont know about buckshot).

#26 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 11 2020 - 08:21 AM

I’ve been to Calverton about 10 times since my first post. It seems like people shoot whatever they want from shotguns on the rifle side from what I have seen. I was there 2 days ago and the guy next to me on the 50 yard line shot birdshot at his target, a few of the pellets hit my targets.

I am not sure what the rules are but that is what I have seen.

#27 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 708 posts

Posted October 11 2020 - 08:55 AM

Sometimes it’s like the Wild West out there

so make sure you have Kevlar underwear on

#28 4DR ZR1

4DR ZR1

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts

Posted October 11 2020 - 12:28 PM

I’ve been to Calverton about 10 times since my first post. It seems like people shoot whatever they want from shotguns on the rifle side from what I have seen. I was there 2 days ago and the guy next to me on the 50 yard line shot birdshot at his target, a few of the pellets hit my targets.
I am not sure what the rules are but that is what I have seen.

Last time there I asked the range officer if I could shoot 00buck at the 50 yard side and he said yes.

#29 Roslyn

Roslyn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 11 2020 - 08:26 PM

M

The place is a virtual dump with very little to offer other than a legal place to shoot outdoors on L.I. It's a shame that with all the dedicated shooters living on LI that we don't have a good outdoor range available to the public. Even an affordable private club would be nice.

I belong to two private clubs, one in PA and one upstate NY. They are both GREAT places to shoot and are never crowded. Shoot on most weekday mornings and you may have the whole place to yourself. I could drive an hour to shoot at Calverton for whatever they currently charge per day, or I can drive 2 hours upstate and shoot an a really nice facility that charges $100 for the entire year. We also have 300yd & 400yd backstops.  I'll deal with the longer drive which I do almost every week.

Calverton has no local competition so that can offer you very little and charge you top dollar every day.

May I ask the name of the club in upstate NY?

#30 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4922 posts

Posted October 12 2020 - 11:34 AM

the website states Calverton is open seven days a week October and November.   True this year ?

#31 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 12 2020 - 02:11 PM

Yes it is true this year.

• pequa1 likes this

#32 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 14 2020 - 03:13 PM

Went to Calverton today, Wednesday the 14th, and they were open. Nice weather, and definitely less crowded than a weekend or a Friday or Monday. I got there around 1pm, I usually do the afternoon there rather than the mornings.

#33 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 157 posts

Posted October 14 2020 - 08:12 PM

there is literally nothing there, and sometimes the porta potties aren't even available.    In addition to what you listed,  bring a large sheet or two or corrugated cardboard since at times if its crowded the only available stakes have no backboard to speak of.   Bring a knife to poke a hole in each corner and some cheap cord to tie the sheet to the stakes.   double up on hearing protection, plugs plus ear muffs.   HFT stuff is OK.   As said above, bring a couple of small pieces of carpet or old towels to put down on the wooden benches to avoid splinters.   bring a boat cushion or something like it as the plastic chairs or logs to sit on are either too low or uncomfortable.  Rolled up old blanket or towels will suffice for a bench rest.   Along with the staple gun bring some push pins or duct tape, just in case, for backup.

This post really says it all - Calverton is a S-hole of a range where they just take your money and don't invest 10 cents into maintaining/improving the place. It was EXACTLY the same way 40 years ago when I shot there periodically. How sad is it that we need to patronize a place like this just to shoot on Long Island?

• rlitman likes this

#34 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts

Posted October 15 2020 - 08:32 AM

was just trying to be helpful, LOL.   Our public choices are:  go there and bring all but the kitchen sink.  Go two miles west and be forced to sit and possibly get yelled at for no reason or any reason.  Go upstate somewhere and pay bridge tolls to Cuomo.   I'll take Harry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users