East Meadow man flashed gun, claimed to be cop during dispute, Nassau police say - Nassau County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

East Meadow man flashed gun, claimed to be cop during dispute, Nassau police say

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 245 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted August 01 2020 - 11:27 AM

Uhh, couldn't he have just said he was on his way to the range? Also, I thought exceeding the target permit was not a crime (4th degree crim pos); only grounds for revocation. I.e. the license is an exemption under 265.20.

------------------------------

East Meadow man flashed gun, claimed to be cop during dispute, Nassau police say
By John Valenti [email protected] Updated July 31, 2020 5:44 PM

A neighborhood dispute ended with a 71-year-old man under arrest after Nassau County police said he displayed a handgun and claimed to be a police officer Thursday in East Meadow.

Police said the incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. when Joseph Nesto of East Meadow and a 35-year-old man "became involved in a neighbor dispute." During that dispute, police said, Nesto "stated he was a police officer, lifted his shirt, and displayed a handgun that was in his waistband."

When the man asked Nesto to produce police identification, police said Nesto left and the neighbor called 911.

Police said Nesto has a valid Nassau County police license but said the investigation revealed it is a permit for target shooting and hunting — and not a carry permit. He was then arrested.

Nesto's pistol license was suspended and any weapons he had associated with the permit have been confiscated pending the outcome of the case, police said.

Police also said the investigation revealed Nesto has no prior employment in law enforcement.

Nesto was charged with second-degree menacing, second-degree criminal impersonation and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6234 posts

Posted August 01 2020 - 11:52 AM

Might have something to do with carrying in conjunction with a crime (impersonating an officer and menacing).
  • NRATC53, baxtersmith and Lou G like this

#3 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25508 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 01 2020 - 12:22 PM

He is the moron of the day.

• TJ Ironhorse and baxtersmith like this

#4 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2305 posts

Posted August 01 2020 - 01:01 PM

Might have something to do with carrying in conjunction with a crime (impersonating an officer and menacing).

Exactly

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11122 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 01 2020 - 01:14 PM

Having a Pistol license doesn’t prevent you from being charged with a crime in progress. The amount of revoked and suspended licenses for a handgun stem from being stopped by a LEO. Those business and target can only go so far.

#6 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 01 2020 - 01:31 PM

Anyone can be charged with possession with intent to use unlawfully, even Police Officers. A license is not a defense to that charge.

#7 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2619 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted August 02 2020 - 11:33 AM

I heard of building your pension after your 20 but 71 ? and claiming to be a cop: this guy would be working on his 40

#8 notphilivey

notphilivey

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted August 03 2020 - 06:55 AM

The "on the way to the range excuse"  sounds like it can be easily debunked, unless you have 24/7 range memberships north south east and west of your house.

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11122 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 03 2020 - 07:25 AM

The "on the way to the range excuse"  sounds like it can be easily debunked, unless you have 24/7 range memberships north south east and west of your house.

His 24/7 pistol license is gone. He didn’t conceal his pistol and said he’s a cop. His only hope is a good defense attorney that can say his neighbor made it all up.

#10 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6207 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted August 03 2020 - 09:31 AM

Other than the argumentative neighbor's claim of what was said and shown, do we have any other corroboration? Neighbor could be anti-gun and know that this guy owned.

Gary

• TJ Ironhorse and boosti like this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11122 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 03 2020 - 10:02 AM

Other than the argumentative neighbor's claim of what was said and shown, do we have any other corroboration? Neighbor could be anti-gun and know that this guy owned.
Gary

Gary, a good tool is carrying a smartphone. It comes handy. I have a neighbor that’s from NYC, from 2014 I caught her tenants and a landscaper on my property. I recently caught her on my land. I recorded and photographed her on my land. In two weeks I received a text from her husband asking me if I was interested in renting or selling the land to them.
You never know what someone can do to ruin you with an absolute lie.
As for the individual arrested, he will have a difficult time proving his innocence if caught with a handgun in his waistband and the witness described the type of handgun he displayed.

#12 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 03 2020 - 10:51 AM

No one has to prove their innocence. The DA has to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11122 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 03 2020 - 11:53 AM

No one has to prove their innocence. The DA has to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

If it’s a jury trial or bench trial. The defense attorney still needs to convince his clients innocent. If the DA has the witnesses, it’s up to the defense attorney to discredit them.
As you know many of these cases never go to trial.

#14 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 03 2020 - 08:44 PM

If it’s a jury trial or bench trial. The defense attorney still needs to convince his clients innocent. If the DA has the witnesses, it’s up to the defense attorney to discredit them.
As you know many of these cases never go to trial.

The defendant has the right to confront the witnesses against him. That is in the Constitution, but the BURDEN never changes, the defendant does not have to do anything. The burden is on the People to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11122 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 04 2020 - 08:42 AM

The defendant has the right to confront the witnesses against him. That is in the Constitution, but the BURDEN never changes, the defendant does not have to do anything. The burden is on the People to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Yup, Police Academy taught us recruits that a good defense attorney can rip apart a witness quickly.
What happened to only7rounds ?

#16 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 164 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 04 2020 - 09:39 AM

The only problem is with a trial by jury you are putting that determination in the hands of the jury.  Even if they don't truly prove something beyond a reasonable doubt, but the jury for whatever reason feels they did, that is all that matters.   So I guess what i'm saying is reasonable doubt is subjective.  If it wasn't, you wouldn't need a jury, there wouldn't be voting amongst the jury, it would just be a check box of proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt Y/N and it would be over in 3 seconds. 

#17 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 04 2020 - 10:58 AM

The only problem is with a trial by jury you are putting that determination in the hands of the jury.  Even if they don't truly prove something beyond a reasonable doubt, but the jury for whatever reason feels they did, that is all that matters.   So I guess what i'm saying is reasonable doubt is subjective.  If it wasn't, you wouldn't need a jury, there wouldn't be voting amongst the jury, it would just be a check box of proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt Y/N and it would be over in 3 seconds. 

That is what the Constitution requires. Otherwise the dictators in Albany and Washington could just deem you guilty. Be careful what you wish for.

#18 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 04 2020 - 11:00 AM

Yup, Police Academy taught us recruits that a good defense attorney can rip apart a witness quickly.
What happened to only7rounds ?

PM me. I can not PM you

#19 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 164 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 04 2020 - 02:12 PM

That is what the Constitution requires. Otherwise the dictators in Albany and Washington could just deem you guilty. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm not saying they should change anything, just pointing out that proof beyond a reasonable doubt is subjective.   

#20 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 04 2020 - 06:05 PM

I'm not saying they should change anything, just pointing out that proof beyond a reasonable doubt is subjective.   

Actually, it is not

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users