Swapping electric panel to hookup generator: permit fees? - DIY - Home Improvements - More - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Swapping electric panel to hookup generator: permit fees?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gent73

gent73

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSetauket

Posted July 29 2020 - 08:46 AM

I need to hookup my generator to the house panel, which is mounted in the basement. It is a subpanel fed from an outdoor main switch, so I can cut all power for the duration of work, without need to contact PSEG/LIPA. It appears the easies route is to swap the entire panel to a "generator-ready" with a proper interlock like this one. I am fairly confident I can do this myself up to code. The existing panel is already rated at 200A, so the only expansion is the generator hookup.

My question is how I do this without hiring an electrician. I want to do this on my own pace and meanwhile solve a few minor things that the previous owner left for me. Plus, I love a good home project. 

To be official, I understand I need a permit and inspections. Can anybody please advise what it will take in terms of time and money?

Specifically, what steps are involved?

How much would the permit and inspections cost?

Of course, there is always a hassle-free "hire an electrician" option - any idea on what it would cost? 

Alternatively, I can just do it and hope nobody would notice. Any implications with that (assuming I do it all correcly)? Only the insurance company took a picture of the panel a year ago; may the TOB also have records on the make/model of the panel, etc?

Edit: location is Suffolk/Town of Brookhaven

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 595 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 29 2020 - 10:55 AM

I had the interlock installed when I remodeled my home. It works just fine. I don’t know how much because it was part of a bigger project. The interlock passed inspection so it must be compliant w code. Best of luck!

#3 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• 234 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted July 29 2020 - 11:04 AM

The cheapest way is to have your panel feed a three-phase 220v outlet. When the power goes out, you open the main circuit breaker and back-feed the panel thru the outlet.

I am not recommending this; just saying it's the cheapest, and I know some people who have done it without killing anyone.

#4 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2162 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted July 29 2020 - 11:43 AM

...a three-phase 220v outlet...

A what what now?

#5 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 595 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 29 2020 - 01:03 PM

A what what now?

If I understand correctly, It’s a 240 V outlet outside your house. You then attach you generator to it. When power goes out, you should flip your panel off so that power doesn’t go up the lines. But since it does require you to do this flip, it’s not code, IIRC. The interlock is the way to do this.

#6 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2162 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted July 29 2020 - 02:19 PM

If I understand correctly, It’s a 240 V outlet outside your house. You then attach you generator to it. When power goes out, you should flip your panel off so that power doesn’t go up the lines. But since it does require you to do this flip, it’s not code, IIRC. The interlock is the way to do this.

That would be an “inlet”, unless you’re advocating a double-male “suicide cord”.
  • Swstock likes this

#7 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7116 posts

Posted July 29 2020 - 06:17 PM

We had a transfer switch installed. The existing panel stays and the transfer switch installed next to it. The power lines you want to receive power when running on the generator are connected and when you switch to generator power the outside line is disconnected so you're not backfeeding power to the outside line. It was done by a licensed electrician an took about two hours to complete at $600 (this was 20 years ago).

#8 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 595 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 29 2020 - 11:07 PM

That would be an “inlet”, unless you’re advocating a double-male “suicide cord”.

Not a suicide cord, I was thinking about this:

https://www.homedepo...JgaAqQNEALw_wcB

Weird, when I click the link above, it takes me to Lowe’s instead of homedepot that I found the same item.

My bad...inlet box.

#9 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted July 31 2020 - 08:33 PM

Not a suicide cord, I was thinking about this:

https://www.homedepo...JgaAqQNEALw_wcB

Weird, when I click the link above, it takes me to Lowe’s instead of homedepot that I found the same item.

My bad...inlet box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted July 31 2020 - 08:36 PM

I need to hookup my generator to the house panel, which is mounted in the basement. It is a subpanel fed from an outdoor main switch, so I can cut all power for the duration of work, without need to contact PSEG/LIPA. It appears the easies route is to swap the entire panel to a "generator-ready" with a proper interlock like this one. I am fairly confident I can do this myself up to code. The existing panel is already rated at 200A, so the only expansion is the generator hookup.

My question is how I do this without hiring an electrician. I want to do this on my own pace and meanwhile solve a few minor things that the previous owner left for me. Plus, I love a good home project.

To be official, I understand I need a permit and inspections. Can anybody please advise what it will take in terms of time and money?

Specifically, what steps are involved?

How much would the permit and inspections cost?

Of course, there is always a hassle-free "hire an electrician" option - any idea on what it would cost?

Alternatively, I can just do it and hope nobody would notice. Any implications with that (assuming I do it all correcly)? Only the insurance company took a picture of the panel a year ago; may the TOB also have records on the make/model of the panel, etc?

Edit: location is Suffolk/Town of Brookhaven

Do it the safe way and install a transfer switch. After Hurricane Sandy I bought this switch at Home Depot for less than $300 and wired it in myself in a couple of hours.

459400586cf77af7da3f62dcb487ddee.jpg

• 2edgesword likes this

#11 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7116 posts

Posted July 31 2020 - 09:41 PM

Do it the safe way and install a transfer switch. After Hurricane Sandy I bought this switch at Home Depot for less than $300 and wired it in myself in a couple of hours.

459400586cf77af7da3f62dcb487ddee.jpg

This is similar to the set-up I have. The power goes out, get the generator out, plug it into the transfer switch, start it, flip the switches on the transfer switch and you have power to the zone you select to be the place where you want emergency power to go.

• gcloss likes this

#12 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1338 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted August 01 2020 - 08:23 AM

same here as above a number of years back... can't have both online ( gen and lilco ) at same time due to 3 way switch

they also make a ten circuit box

was an hour install

• gcloss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users