any updates/usage reviews of the newer gen Troy PARs? - AR - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

any updates/usage reviews of the newer gen Troy PARs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ruksd

ruksd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county NY

Posted July 28 2020 - 01:35 PM

TLDR: anyone have updated thoughts on the troy PAR after owning one for an extended period of time? I dont see a ton of recent reviews, all date back to 2014-2017. curious if they have reliably held up and if people continue using them or if novelty factor has worn off.

long version: I know this isn't a true AR15 given the incompatibility of lowers/uppers, but figured this might be best sub-forum to post it. looking at picking up one of the new gen troy PARs (the ones with the skeleton folding stocks that dont telescope). am used to pump shotguns and want to try an AR-style rifle and dont mind having to pump vs relying on semi-auto (I'd also probably enjoy not having to clean as often/as much of the gun with a pump action that's reliable). despite being stuck in NY, pretty set on retaining typical AR-style ergonomics, so at this point dont think I want to trade a pistol grip for a different type of stock. also dig the folding stock piece of the troy (though wish they still made the stocks telescoping as well, not sure why they stopped). dont think I want to go fixed mag either as I would hope this gun to be a part of a home defense plan and not sure fixed mags (even those that work with stripper clips) are best for that. otherwise, besides home defense would just be a range plinker.

so am curious if anyone can shed some light on how their Troy's are holding up and if they still reach to grab it these days or if the novelty wore off? want to make sure these are still reliable after some good use.

have heard they no longer have fluted chambers (not that I reload my own at this point, though perhaps in the future). had also previously read a post or two on other forums back in 2015-2016 about one of the components in the bolt carrier being made of aluminum and needing replacement for getting worn down (https://mdws.forumch...77&forum=474854). anyone know if the new gen PARs have been updated with a steel replacement or can confirm no widespread issues on the aluminum version besides that one owner?

thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11119 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 28 2020 - 04:46 PM

If you want a more reliable AR magazine pump rifle, The Remington 7615 was used in Law Enforcement Agencies around the world. The Troy PAR is probably found a little cheaper than the Remington 7615.

#3 ruksd

ruksd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county NY

Posted July 28 2020 - 07:34 PM

thanks! but would like to stick with the ergonomics of an AR and also prefer to buy gun as new, so am still curious if anyone can comment on the troy par!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users