Indoor Range with AC?? - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Indoor Range with AC??

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted July 26 2020 - 12:41 PM

Are there any ranges in Nassau that are indoors with good ventilation and AC? A few days ago i went to Mitchell Field and couldn't even shoot properly. I showed up at opening 10am. I set-up fine and after a few mags i noticed i was drenched. I couldn't even grip my handgun properly. I used my t-shirt as a towel. I cut the shooting short out of safety concerns that i would just drop my firearm. It's only July and i want to keep shooting so are there any indoors with good air? Even if it's a club to join. 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 26 2020 - 03:03 PM

I don't think there are any.   The problem is for proper ventilation it needs to recirculate the air every 1 minute with outside air.   If it is cold in there then it's highly unlikely they are cycling the air properly.

• NYC_Under_Dictatorship likes this

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 26 2020 - 06:45 PM

After two straight days of rain and cooler temperatures, Mitchel in the summer is ALMOST bearable.   I just don't set foot in that hot box from May through September and thankfully have hot weather hobbies that involve kayaks, fish, boats and pools.

• covertjy and TheKnot like this

#4 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted July 26 2020 - 07:51 PM

Been going to NC range for over 40 years. Nothing seem to improve much. A/C? Now thats funny. Maybe start with automatic target return. A/C in the year 2525
  • gcloss likes this

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 27 2020 - 06:04 AM

I don't think there are any.   The problem is for proper ventilation it needs to recirculate the air every 1 minute with outside air.   If it is cold in there then it's highly unlikely they are cycling the air properly.

If you go during the winter months you will need to wear a coat inside the range.

#6 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2174 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted July 27 2020 - 08:09 AM

There are two ways to keep the lead out of the air.  The cheaper and easier way is to ventilate with outside air, diluting the pollution into the atmosphere.  That, of course, does not allow for air conditioning. 

The expensive way is to scrub the air with HEPA filters.  That's high maintenance, and is not something the county is going to pay for.

• pdsarge likes this

#7 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted July 27 2020 - 09:28 AM

i used to go to a range in nyc that was well ventilated and had electronic targets with a button that would send your paper downrange. The negative was that it was terribly lit and looked like you were shooting in a dark alley.

Winter in Mitchell also interesting. wearing sweaters and using my barrel to keep my fingers warm.

Now i know if i need to find another profession i will certainly open a high end range. Indoor targets will have a/c heat and state of art air. I will build a house outside with super padded walls so people can practice clearing rooms, running drills. Make a disneyland but for shooters. Different scenarios heck i might do an alien invasion experience and def zombies for halloween.

How much money will that all cost me with insurance? Would have to do this in the most gun friendly state.

• Lou G likes this

#8 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 121 posts

Posted July 27 2020 - 11:31 AM

What about South Shore Sportsman in Islip? or DSI in Oakdale? Those are the 2 indoor ranges I can think of that are public and look nicer from the pictures I've seen compared to NC Mitchell Field. They probably went the extra step into installing AC or some kind of proper ventilation. 

• rezelution likes this

#9 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted July 27 2020 - 12:03 PM

What about South Shore Sportsman in Islip? or DSI in Oakdale? Those are the 2 indoor ranges I can think of that are public and look nicer from the pictures I've seen compared to NC Mitchell Field. They probably went the extra step into installing AC or some kind of proper ventilation. 

They both seem nice looking and i am now compelled to check them out. Thanks!

The sportsman seems to have a good ventilation system so maybe it will be cooler 

• dr. glock likes this

#10 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted July 27 2020 - 06:00 PM

Hate to mention but the bride and  went to the Orlando Gun Club in Orlando Fl. 90 outside and 75 ish inside. With clean smelling air. Guess we don't pay enough taxes???

• gcloss likes this

#11 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 237 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 27 2020 - 09:22 PM

DSI has proper ventilation, it fully cycles the air with outside air every 1 minute, but that comes at the cost of A/C.  It's not as hot as outside, but you will be pretty hot.

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted July 28 2020 - 09:22 AM

i used to go to a range in nyc that was well ventilated and had electronic targets with a button that would send your paper downrange. The negative was that it was terribly lit and looked like you were shooting in a dark alley.

Winter in Mitchell also interesting. wearing sweaters and using my barrel to keep my fingers warm.

Now i know if i need to find another profession i will certainly open a high end range. Indoor targets will have a/c heat and state of art air. I will build a house outside with super padded walls so people can practice clearing rooms, running drills. Make a disneyland but for shooters. Different scenarios heck i might do an alien invasion experience and def zombies for halloween.

How much money will that all cost me with insurance? Would have to do this in the most gun friendly state.

Practicing shooting in a dark alley is appropriate for a NYC range

• gcloss likes this

#13 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted July 28 2020 - 09:24 AM

Have 2 by me with good A/C (even in FL) electronic targets that can be programmed to flip on delay or command, friendly staff, etc, but they aren't even local to Nassau County, Florida- nevermind the one in NY

• gcloss likes this

#14 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• 121 posts

Posted August 02 2020 - 09:37 AM

Sorry for the side question - but on the topic of Mitchell field, anyone know if they are on summer hours and if so what they are? 

#15 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 198 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted August 05 2020 - 08:50 PM

the only indoor range that I go to is Davis Sports in Goshen, NY. 100 yard indoors, ventilated of course, and really nice people.

You can comfortably sight in any rifle, shotgun or pistol. Prior to the COVId nonsense I used to go every month to month and a half. Also great selection of firearms and accessories. Plus they have a huge 3d bow range too!

#16 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 237 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 05 2020 - 10:41 PM

That is a really nice looking range.  I didn't even know they had indoor ranges out to 100 yards.   The fees look a little steep though. 

Is that a typo or is that really the cost?

*Daily Rate: $2,220

*1/2 Day Rate: $1,800

#17 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 198 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted August 05 2020 - 11:37 PM

If you are referring to Davis Sports their fee is 23 dollars for 1 hr. Not too bad considering nice clean booths, automated target adjustments, and that 100yd indoor ability.

#18 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2174 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted August 06 2020 - 10:55 AM

That is a really nice looking range.  I didn't even know they had indoor ranges out to 100 yards.   The fees look a little steep though. 

Is that a typo or is that really the cost?

*Daily Rate: $2,220

*1/2 Day Rate: $1,800

It also says:

*Pistol / Long Gun is $25/hour

*Black Powder is $30/hour

I'm guessing those numbers are if you want to rent the whole place out.  Party time?

#19 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 06 2020 - 03:06 PM

It also says:

*Pistol / Long Gun is $25/hour

*Black Powder is $30/hour

I'm guessing those numbers are if you want to rent the whole place out.  Party time?

I was thinking it must be a typo of some sort, but it looks like you are right. 

Davis Shooting Sports is now hosting private events! Bachelor parties, guy's night, private lessons and more!

Davis Shooting Sports is now hosting private events! Bachelor parties, guy's night, private lessons and more! Davis Shooting Sports is now hosting private events! Bachelor parties, guy's night, private lessons and more!

#20 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted August 06 2020 - 04:24 PM

i like davis shooting sports got my first AR from them. They have an insanely large bear when you walk in. Would be fun to rent out a range for a guys night out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users