Ammo hoard - Pump [Shotguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ammo hoard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 15 2020 - 01:39 PM

Hey all, with the current climate, I, along with many of you, am attempting to exercise my 2AR by preparing to defend myself from any possible hazard that may come marching my way. In doing so, along with home "modifications" that are annoying the crap out of my wife, I recently purchased some shotguns.

I have a safe, and some tacti-cool attachments, but have yet to get to the range. I know of Brookhaven and Calverton. I'm hoping to get there soon but as I have never done so before, am a little confused as to what I should bring. I'm not the kind of guy that enjoys being yelled at by those with power trips, so I'd rather get my sht in order prior. If we are at the range at the same time you will know it's me by the pointing and the laughing directed my way.

And now to the newbie questions (feel free to snicker).

- both of my shotties are 3.5" 12g. (I have a Winchester Super-X Pump and a Mossberg 835). I'm looking to stock up on ammo but don't know my ass from a hole in the wall in order to buy any. I bought a few boxes of 00 buck 9 pellet, and a box of target, and some slugs. It's taking a while but my question is this; what kinds of ammo do I need for HD and for target shooting at the range? What kind of quantity am I looking at? I've done a lot of reading in an effort to become less stupid and here's what I came up with. 1000 rounds per gun of 00 buck 9 or 8 pellet, OR/AND #1 buck. Now I figured that is for HD, what do I need for the range? #8? Let me have it, I'm not sensitive and need to as I said before, get my sht in order quick like. I also bought a box of trainer dummy shells to practice my tacti-cool loading skills.

Seeing as this is now thoroughly bankrupting me (more aptly has), I am also wondering what other things I need. Scopes, straps, rails, etc. Any thoughts gals and guys?

I've always wanted to get into the shooting sports and now that I'm retired and have to blow my savings on gear anyway, thought this may be a good time to do it. Maybe a rifle or AR for shts and giggles in the future when my credit card company, and wife, permit. :-)

Thanks again all,

Jay

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted July 15 2020 - 01:44 PM

Bring more than you think you will fire because you can always take it home for then next trip

• DueDilli likes this

#3 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3231 posts

Posted July 15 2020 - 01:54 PM

Your money will best be spent on a shotgun class. A class given by a professional instructor will answer most if not all of your questions. You will learn how to use your shotgun, not just when everything is going perfectly, but when you have malfunctions, jams, etc. Shooting static on a public range is only good for checking to see that your shotgun actually works. Only when you take classes are you able to move realistically and engage targets. Don't spend another dime on gear til you get some professional training under  your belt.

• DueDilli likes this

#4 DueDilli

DueDilli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 15 2020 - 02:14 PM

Your money will best be spent on a shotgun class. A class given by a professional instructor will answer most if not all of your questions. You will learn how to use your shotgun, not just when everything is going perfectly, but when you have malfunctions, jams, etc. Shooting static on a public range is only good for checking to see that your shotgun actually works. Only when you take classes are you able to move realistically and engage targets. Don't spend another dime on gear til you get some professional training under  your belt.

That makes sense. You mean I can't become a special forces bad-ass via youtube? Any recommendations?

#5 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 15 2020 - 02:16 PM

Bring more than you think you will fire because you can always take it home for then next trip

Problem is, I've never been to a range before, or for that matter, even fired a shotty. I wouldn't even know how much I'd shoot. From what I hear from you guys, I think I'd need to bring a pallet. Maybe half.

#6 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 764 posts

Posted July 15 2020 - 03:23 PM

Look for Frank Meloni's NRA shotgun class at the Pine Barrens range.  There are more choices if you are willing to travel outside of LI as well.

https://renaissancef...r-101-07-26-20/

https://renaissancef...otgun-10-18-20/

• thetalonguy and DueDilli like this

#7 Defender

Defender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted July 15 2020 - 05:28 PM

Dear Jay,

Give Mike a call at:  631.473.1906.  See also:  http://www.longislandtopshots.com/.  I work with the guy at my day job.  I only hear good things about the experience people have at his classes.  Tell him Cliff referred you.  Have fun.  Thanks.  

• DueDilli likes this

#8 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 15 2020 - 07:01 PM

DellDude and Defender: thanks guys for the info. I'm going to look into both of these guys tomorrow.

Jay

#9 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7866 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted July 15 2020 - 09:27 PM

Go to Yaphank or Brookhaven range, introduce yourself as a noob.   Bring some size 8 or 9 light target loads (100 max for 1st time out).   Ask to shoot a round of skeet.  (Before going, look up skeet videos for noobs on youtube).   Shoot the heck of those guns on flying clays.   If you can get to a point where you can hit half of a round of 25, you can readily use that shotgun for any around the home self defense.  

Oh, and have some Advil ready for your shoulder later. 

After you can actually hit something at a range, for more fun, go to a pheasant hunting preserve (no license needed) with some size 6 shells, and try and shoot some birds.   If you can bag a bird exploding into the air in front of you, you can consider yourself a shotgunner. 

• DueDilli likes this

#10 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted July 16 2020 - 07:21 AM

I believe that only Calverton has benches for shooting shotgun (which are also used for rimfire).

If you only want your shotguns for defense, trap and skeet training are not necessary -- albeit they are fun.

If you can get to the range with a knowledgeable friend, 20 minutes of guidance/observation will have you shooting competently, after you RTFM.

If you sign up for the NYS hunter safety course ($19.95 and now on-line  due to Covid) you will learn how to safely use your guns, and be eligible for a big game license.

Ken C

• DueDilli likes this

#11 DueDilli

DueDilli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 16 2020 - 08:08 AM

Go to Yaphank or Brookhaven range, introduce yourself as a noob.   Bring some size 8 or 9 light target loads (100 max for 1st time out).   Ask to shoot a round of skeet.  (Before going, look up skeet videos for noobs on youtube).   Shoot the heck of those guns on flying clays.   If you can get to a point where you can hit half of a round of 25, you can readily use that shotgun for any around the home self defense.  

Oh, and have some Advil ready for your shoulder later. 

After you can actually hit something at a range, for more fun, go to a pheasant hunting preserve (no license needed) with some size 6 shells, and try and shoot some birds.   If you can bag a bird exploding into the air in front of you, you can consider yourself a shotgunner. 

I see a lot of great deals on #8 out there. Do you have to pay extra for the skeet? I wasn't kidding about the money thing. ;-)  I'm going to have to back off a bit lest I be prepared for the zombies to defend my cardboard box. Thanks for the feedback man.

Jay

#12 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 16 2020 - 08:13 AM

I believe that only Calverton has benches for shooting shotgun (which are also used for rimfire).

If you only want your shotguns for defense, trap and skeet training are not necessary -- albeit they are fun.

If you can get to the range with a knowledgeable friend, 20 minutes of guidance/observation will have you shooting competently, after you RTFM.

If you sign up for the NYS hunter safety course ($19.95 and now on-line  due to Covid) you will learn how to safely use your guns, and be eligible for a big game license.

Ken C

So when I go shooting, I have to stay seated? That doesn't sound very functional, unless the baddies are ok with me shooting from my couch. ;-) Do you guys practice with 00 or a light target load (considerably cheaper and available)? I've never put much time into having any friends and I can now see that may have worked against me. A couple cheek smacks and shoulder dislocations and I'll be ready to rock.

Thanks Ken

Jay

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11120 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 16 2020 - 08:24 AM

So when I go shooting, I have to stay seated? That doesn't sound very functional, unless the baddies are ok with me shooting from my couch. ;-) Do you guys practice with 00 or a light target load (considerably cheaper and available)? I've never put much time into having any friends and I can now see that may have worked against me. A couple cheek smacks and shoulder dislocations and I'll be ready to rock.

Thanks Ken

Jay

You can use low brass for training. In the Police Department yearly Qual, the use of low brass was good training. The Q target was at 15 yards. We used 12 gauge Federal 2-3/4 Tactical 00 Buck and Slug using the Remington 870 Police Shotgun.
Use the appropriate barrel for the use of slugs and buckshot. Don’t use slugs out of a Turkey barrel.
  • NRATC53 and DueDilli like this

#14 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 16 2020 - 08:38 AM

You can use low brass for training. In the Police Department yearly Qual, the use of low brass was good training. The Q target was at 15 yards. We used 12 gauge Federal 2-3/4 Tactical 00 Buck and Slug using the Remington 870 Police Shotgun.
Use the appropriate barrel for the use of slugs and buckshot. Don’t use slugs out of a Turkey barrel.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what is low brass? I'm seeing deals on bulk #8 for as low as 21c/round. I can swing getting a happy meal of 250 and heading down to the range. If I see any of you guys I'm happy to share.

Jay

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11120 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 16 2020 - 08:45 AM

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what is low brass? I'm seeing deals on bulk #8 for as low as 21c/round. I can swing getting a happy meal of 250 and heading down to the range. If I see any of you guys I'm happy to share.

Jay

Low Brass is used for target and dove loads. September is a good time to hit those fields in Pennsylvania and hunt dove.
  • NRATC53 and DueDilli like this

#16 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 387 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted July 21 2020 - 06:31 PM

Look for Frank Meloni's NRA shotgun class at the Pine Barrens range. There are more choices if you are willing to travel outside of LI as well.

https://renaissancef...r-101-07-26-20/

https://renaissancef...otgun-10-18-20/

I second Frank, I’ve done a few of his courses. He’s a really great, patient and knowledgeable guy. I bought a prepaid course for a historic rifle day, before all this went done, and am looking forward.
  • DueDilli likes this

#17 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 595 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 22 2020 - 12:04 AM

Watch as many YouTube videos as possible. I’d recommend Paul Harrel. He does a ton on HD. Also hickock45 for general gun shooting...hickok reviews lots of guns and may have shot your guns. For more frivolous fun, demolition ranch. For some down right dangerous things that you shouldn’t do w a gun, Edward sarkissian. If you’ve never seen the fastest man alive, watch Jerry Miculek. Other channels I like are Kentucky ballistics, military arms channel, and Kristin joy Weiss. There are other good youtubers as well. As for your shotguns at Brookhaven or calverton range, if you want to shoot at the rifle side, then slugs are the only thing permitted, as buck shot destroys the carriers. On the trap/clays side, you can only shoot target load with birdshot 7.5 to 9).

As for low brass, that means less gun powder and so the metal part of the shell is less long. Lookup high brass versus low brass in google. First hit: http://blog.beretta....ls-shotgun-tips

Personally, I would find a friend who shoots sket, trap, or sporting clays and in a single day, you will feel more comfortable w your scatterguns.

If you don’t have a friend who shoots, I’d say find better friends.... :-)
  • DueDilli likes this

#18 DueDilli

DueDilli

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSufolk County

Posted July 22 2020 - 05:36 AM

Watch as many YouTube videos as possible. I’d recommend Paul Harrel. He does a ton on HD. Also hickock45 for general gun shooting...hickok reviews lots of guns and may have shot your guns. For more frivolous fun, demolition ranch. For some down right dangerous things that you shouldn’t do w a gun, Edward sarkissian. If you’ve never seen the fastest man alive, watch Jerry Miculek. Other channels I like are Kentucky ballistics, military arms channel, and Kristin joy Weiss. There are other good youtubers as well. As for your shotguns at Brookhaven or calverton range, if you want to shoot at the rifle side, then slugs are the only thing permitted, as buck shot destroys the carriers. On the trap/clays side, you can only shoot target load with birdshot 7.5 to 9).

As for low brass, that means less gun powder and so the metal part of the shell is less long. Lookup high brass versus low brass in google. First hit: http://blog.beretta....ls-shotgun-tips

Personally, I would find a friend who shoots sket, trap, or sporting clays and in a single day, you will feel more comfortable w your scatterguns.

If you don’t have a friend who shoots, I’d say find better friends.... :-)

Thanks Wowzer,

Where can I go if I want to handle some oo buck, to get a feel of the load I'd be using in an HD situation? Thanks for giving me a day of youtube ;-)

#19 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• 236 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted July 22 2020 - 07:00 AM

Thanks Ken

Jay

I think at Calverton they let you shoot any which way. I believe I have seen sitting, standing, kneeling and prone there. Brookhaven is strictly sitting for rifle and sitting or standing for handgun.

• pequa1 likes this

#20 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 595 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 23 2020 - 09:24 AM

Calverton will let you stand, bench, sit, or prone. Bring an old blanket for prone as the ground is filled with casings. :-)

As for buckshot, i recall being told that even calverton doesn’t want you to shoot at their carriers w it. YMMV. But if you shot slugs, it ought to be able to let you feel similar recoil of buckshot (albeit, slugs hit harder than buckshot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users