First Handgun Buying Experience - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

First Handgun Buying Experience

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rezelution

rezelution

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted July 10 2020 - 10:53 AM

I wanted to share my first hand gun buying experience and ask if it's normal. I went to Nassau Coliseum Traders which i have purchased a rifle from before. I had already done my research and knew what i wanted to buy. The salesperson was helpful and took the time to let me handle each firearm multiple times. One of the models i wanted they only had used. So i selected another firearm but then they realized it was only the display model and where able to find another better one in stock. I ended up buying a sig p320 and a Ruger mark 4. When i got home i noticed that even though both were brand new they had production dates of 2016. Is this normal? Does it matter what year the production year is for the firearm? I assumed if i purchased new it would be a 2019/2020 model. Should this be something that is disclosed when you purchase it?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2601 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted July 10 2020 - 11:06 AM

Not sure about the older production date on a new gun, but it may have been at the wholesaler for a while before the dealer bought it for inventory; shouldn't be a problem.  What are the guns you were looking at (new & used)?  Some of my nicest pistols were bought used.

#3 rezelution

rezelution

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted July 10 2020 - 11:09 AM

i wanted my first one to be the H&K VP9. After handling both that and the Sig P320 it was a good compromise to pick up the sig new.

#4 rezelution

rezelution

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted July 10 2020 - 11:13 AM

once i get experience in shooting for a bit i'm def gonna start building a collection. Then it will be used or new. Next one will have to be a revolver of some sort.

#5 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 556 posts

Posted July 10 2020 - 11:40 AM

Congrats on your purchase. I wouldn't worry about the 2016 dates unless the specific models in question had recalls around that time.

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11119 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 10 2020 - 12:24 PM

I would only be concerned about the Night Sights being a few years old when purchasing a new pistol. The store manager adjusted $100 off the price on a Sig Sauer 1911, salesman wasn’t happy as it ate his commission . Some pistols make a design change and a dealer will never mention it to a buyer and keep it at MSRP.
Best of luck with new firearms!

#7 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7860 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted July 10 2020 - 09:23 PM

How did you date the guns?  Did you call the factory?

#8 irondog

irondog

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 11 2020 - 11:28 AM

How did you date the guns?  Did you call the factory?

Very easy to date firearms. Most manufacturers usually have a page on their website that you can either enter a serial number or there may simply be a list with the serial number ranges with correlating date ranges or just years. Also many forums and other sites will have date records as well, especially for old milsurp firearms.

Just a side note on used firearms. Anytime you purchase one, whether pistol or long arm, you can always check the manufacturer's website for any recalls, unless it's real old milsurp and the company doesn't exist anymore. In the case of milsurp, there is always info online about things to check before firing them. You should always tear a used firearm down anyways to clean and inspect before using. In the case of recalls, I've recently restored an old hunting rifle from the 1960's for a family member. I immediately went to the manufacturer website to check for any recall and there was indeed a recall on the firing pin from many years ago. I called them up and gave them the serial number and they said the recalled firing pin had not been replaced. I sent them the old pin and they sent me the new pin with a check for $30 for my trouble. The check surprised me, but hey, that's a reputable company.

Enjoy the hobby and most of all, stay safe.

#9 rvc-ny

rvc-ny

Gun Guru

• 562 posts

Posted July 11 2020 - 07:44 PM

Save your receipt for warranty claims, but any warranty period will start when you buy a new gun from an FFL dealer.  Unless there have been recall for manufacturing or safety issues, buying a firearm that has been in storage at a distributor shouldn't matter.  After all, gunbroker.com is full of 20+ year old guns that are still in the box and ready to shoot.  Just like ammo, if it's been stored properly the shelf life is long.  I have reloads that are 30 years old and still go "bang".

Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

#10 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 11 2020 - 08:24 PM

If it really was a 2016 production unit then for the P320 make sure it has the new updated slide cutout.  You can look it up on sigs site by the serial number:

https://www.sigsauer...ld of the form.

You can see the difference here:

https://www.sigsauer...untary-upgrade/

Basically the updated slide has a cutout on the left hand side.

#11 rezelution

rezelution

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted July 11 2020 - 08:37 PM

What prompted me to write this and made me notice the production dates on the firearms is something i found online. I was watching video on proper use, techniques, maintenance, reviews and info to better understand my firearm and came across the drop fail tests. I immediately assumed since i just purchased it new that it can't be a pre 2018 model. But to be safe i checked the sig website and entered my serial. Sure enough it was not upgraded. A few days ago i sent it in for the upgrade. The ruger although old did have the proper upgrade on it. 

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I've been busy and had no range time yet with these, And now have to wait two weeks for the sig... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users