Best 1st Handgun for home defense? - Page 2 - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Best 1st Handgun for home defense?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 11 2020 - 06:49 AM

Glock 19 or it's little brother the G26. Max load (10 + 1) for civilians, easy to handle, totally reliable. No safety to forget under stress, low recoil. Once you become an experienced shooter you may well want something else, but the Glock is essentially a semi automatic revolver. Just aim and pull the trigger. And a hell of a lot faster to reload.
For the revolver guys, yep revolvers are nice, .357 is an awesome round, but doesn't it strike you that there is a reason why no law enforcement or military agency uses then anymore?

The revolver in .357 Magnum is still used by military and law enforcement. A little known fact is the Navy SEALS other countries use the MR73 with .357 Magnum.
A few U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies use the revolver for entry shield use.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3249 posts

Posted August 11 2020 - 02:09 PM

You will only find a gun that fits your hand when you can actually shoot it. Go to a range that rents guns and have at it. Guns For Hire in NJ rents a number of pistol makes and models. You may want to try them out there before you purchase.

#23 dabassman

dabassman

Respected Gunowner

• 104 posts

Posted August 11 2020 - 02:22 PM

The minimum caliber for self defense is 9mm using a proven round like the Winchester SXT, Speer Gold Dot and Federal 9BPLE in +P+ .
A Glock 19 is usually the easiest to learn and fits most hands. More training courses are teaching students to use a weapon light or flashlight since most shootings are in a dark environment.
Shooting indoors is extremely loud and can cause hearing damage. I wouldn’t recommend an AR style pistol in .556 or short barrel .357 as the noise and flash are very difficult without eye and hearing protection.
I would stop by South Shore Sportsman and ask them you are looking for a first handgun for home defense.

Best advice I've see is go to South Shore Sportsmen. Let them know it's your first purchase. They will spend as much time with you as needed to be sure that you purchase the correct weapon, for you.  And then PRACTICE!!   PS, I'll bet it won't be the last weapon you purchase!

#24 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted August 11 2020 - 07:20 PM

The Glock 26 will give you a great, low recoil, concealable and easy to shoot dependable self defense weapon. For all my brothers in arms I would like to know how many have experienced an accidental discharge? How many have required extensive training before being able to hit a target? The rest is repetition and muscle memory. Unfortunately our county range will not allow any practical practice. Guess they don't care if you can defend yourself???

#25 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 717 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted August 13 2020 - 08:25 AM

Glock 17. Full sized grip, easy to get magazines and parts. 9mm so Ammo can be founds (usually).

#26 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted August 14 2020 - 08:34 AM

Glock 17. Full sized grip, easy to get magazines and parts. 9mm so Ammo can be founds (usually).

You're right to insert "usually".  It's twice the price I'm accustomed to paying lately.  9mm is the ammo of choice and unfortunately since the pandemic the price has increased.  It's gone from about 30 cents to 60 cents a round when you can find it.  I'm sure that after the glut, much like 22LR in the past the price will normalize again.  

#27 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 237 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 14 2020 - 09:02 AM

You're right to insert "usually".  It's twice the price I'm accustomed to paying lately.  9mm is the ammo of choice and unfortunately since the pandemic the price has increased.  It's gone from about 30 cents to 60 cents a round when you can find it.  I'm sure that after the glut, much like 22LR in the past the price will normalize again.  

Who knows when that will be.  I think ALL ammo is going up in price.   Small pistol primers are going for over $100 per 1000.  I've even seen some go for closer to $200.   Those are crazy prices.   Large Pistol primers are pretty much out of stock everywhere too.   Ditto for small/large rifle primers.

Since this is a recurring problem, I don't get why the primer manufacturers haven't ramped up production.   This has to be a lot of money left on the table due to them not being able to meet demand.   I don't think this can be attributed to hoarding.  I've seen tons of new shooters at the ranges lately and ammo/primers are disposable resources so they are getting used up in much larger quantities now.  It's not like the tulip bubble and suddenly primers will be going for $5 per 1000.

#28 cprstn54

cprstn54

Banned

• Banned
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted August 14 2020 - 10:33 AM

I believe that the big on-line retailers are keeping low to zero inventory. "In stock" just means the distributor or manufacturer has listed inventory for immediate delivery. There could be 50 retailers that are listing for sale the same jobber's inventory.

Actual inventory could be as little as 10% of what it was 20 years ago. Every surge in demand immediately exhausts the tiny supply and we have to wait months before there is enough to go around.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#29 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2481 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted August 14 2020 - 03:44 PM

I believe that the big on-line retailers are keeping low to zero inventory. "In stock" just means the distributor or manufacturer has listed inventory for immediate delivery. There could be 50 retailers that are listing for sale the same jobber's inventory.

Actual inventory could be as little as 10% of what it was 20 years ago. Every surge in demand immediately exhausts the tiny supply and we have to wait months before there is enough to go around.

If fear this time around may take years to normalize. Barring any new insanity after potential change in the White House

#30 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Respected Gunowner

• 218 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 14 2020 - 05:59 PM

The demand is insane. Pump shotguns do not stay on the shelf for one day. They can not keep up with the demand. Once the demand slows, the retailers will have stock and the manufacturers will slow production.

However, the next riot puts all that on the back burner.

#31 Retiredguy

Retiredguy

• Donated Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted August 14 2020 - 07:25 PM

I'm old school. An S&W  J Frame 5 shot .38

revolver is plenty in my opinion. Trained on wheel guns and semi 9mm Glocks . The wheel gun goes bang every time. Less fear of an accidental discharge with heavier trigger. Don't have to worry about lip wrist jamming in stressful situation.

Edited by Retiredguy, August 14 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#32 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted August 25 2020 - 03:43 PM

Funny that I was just having this discussion the other night, and the person I was talking with has a Smith 6 shot in .357 that he uses as his "House Gun"

• gcloss likes this

#33 OneLowRider

OneLowRider

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 810 posts

Posted August 25 2020 - 06:52 PM

A 357 mag revolver sounds old fashion but has merit for a first home defense handgun.

1. It is much easier to master a revolver. No jams, misfeeds, chambers to check, etc
2. You can use very inexpensive and low-recoiling 38 special ammo to learn/practice with
3. Once you're confident with the revolver you can use the time tested & proven 357 ammo if you care to
4. No safety is needed. In a life & death situation, will you think to remove the safety from an auto? 
5. Your spouse can also use the handgun in a self defense situation because very little instruction is needed for basic (emergency) use

Just my 2 cents

Smith and. Wesson 686 - can’t go wrong with that.
  • gcloss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users