Question about compliance... - AR - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Question about compliance...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CementSock

CementSock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBabylon

Posted June 30 2020 - 05:43 PM

I'm new to ARs and all this SAFE Compliance is making my head spin. Am I allowed to buy a non-compliant AR-15, say on gunbroker for instance, as long as I remove the non-compliant parts? Or am I pretty much left to have to build my own/buy a SAFE complete.

Really trying to weigh out my options and I feel like the more I read, the more confused I get. I've found a few ARs online that I want buy they mostly have pistol grips and removable mags. I want to know if I can still get an FFL for something like that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted June 30 2020 - 05:57 PM

why go through all of that headache when you can just buy a compliant AR which are sold in most places. 

#3 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted June 30 2020 - 05:58 PM

https://www.dark-storm.com

here they have great selections 

• Lotust1 likes this

#4 CementSock

CementSock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBabylon

Posted June 30 2020 - 06:14 PM

why go through all of that headache when you can just buy a compliant AR which are sold in most places. 

I'm planning on moving to a free state in the near future but wanted to buy guns now. Can the NY compliant guns be changed once I move?

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11171 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 30 2020 - 06:54 PM

I'm planning on moving to a free state in the near future but wanted to buy guns now. Can the NY compliant guns be changed once I move?

DSI offers that option if you move to a free state. They will switch the N.Y. fixed model lower for a regular AR lower.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#6 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 642 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted June 30 2020 - 11:22 PM

Yes. Think of AR’s like legos, you can put things on and take them off.
The only thing I’ve read is that a rifle cannot be made into a pistol, but a pistol may be made into a rifle. But if you assemble your own, how can anyone tell what it started out as?

#7 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 105 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted July 01 2020 - 09:45 AM

A lot of dealers sell the gun with a mag lock in the gun followed by a small weld to prevent easily removing mag lock. Move to free state. Drill out small weld and install normal mag release
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#8 CementSock

CementSock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBabylon

Posted July 02 2020 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So would I be able to buy any AR15 online and have it shipped to an FFL provided I buy the necessary compliance parts aftermarket?

My other idea was buying all the parts separate and assembling in a free state where I have a second home, only downside is that its seemingly really difficult to get all the necessary parts together due to a lack of availability.

#9 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 193 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 19 2020 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So would I be able to buy any AR15 online and have it shipped to an FFL provided I buy the necessary compliance parts aftermarket?

My other idea was buying all the parts separate and assembling in a free state where I have a second home, only downside is that its seemingly really difficult to get all the necessary parts together due to a lack of availability.

Your other idea is probably the best and easiest, although you only need the FFL for the receiver with the serial number.  The rest could just be shipped to your house.

#10 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 642 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted July 21 2020 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

If you buy a full rifle, it has to be compliant immediately. If you assemble it w compliant parts, then ship the lower to an FFL. Order the upper/other components to your home and put the compliance parts in at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users