Tri-State Windows - beware - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Tri-State Windows - beware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6183 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted June 29 2020 - 08:36 AM

Folks:

I just found out about an incident, involving one of my friends. She and her husband decided that they were going to replace the older windows in their home. They received estimates, from several companies, all, of course, claiming that their product was better than those of their competitors. Each of the proposals included a fairly detailed, written estimate, showing the bottom line, for everything, no alleged hidden expenses.

In each case, the sales person examined, then measured, the existing windows, explained the differences, between double-pane and triple-pane windows, plus their various model differences and what is and isn't included in the price, plus the details of the warranties. All seemed pretty clear and their initial decision was to go with Tri-State Windows, because the salesman, whose first name was Bill, repeatedly explained that he had been doing this, for 48 years, was a thorough windows professional and knew everything there was to know, about his windows and every one of his competitor's products.

When they called the Tri-State Windows sales rep, to come back to their house, then complete the paperwork, he said he would be there, the next day. He did show up, a bit earlier than scheduled but that was not a problem. The problem arrived when he advised them that, because the original windows were Anderson, there owuld be an additional cost, of $150, per window, because, allegedly, Anderson does not use standard window frames and they would have to build custom frames, to match the openings created by the Anderson windows. When asked why he didn't mention this, during the original sales pitch, his only answer was "I forgot." "I forgot," from someone, who, at THREE different times, during the sales pitch, claimed to know everything about everyone's windows?

Long story short, they told him they don't like bait and switch tactics or con men, to take a hike and not contact them, again. Guess what? Less than an hour later, the sales rep phones the wife, on her cell phone, to tell her how much she is hurting him, by cancelling the order and tries to get her to reverse the decision. She hung up.

Then, they called their 2nd choice window company, to whom they gave the order. That company had no problem, with the original windows and window openings being Anderson and no "surcharge," therefore.

Based on this, I would avoid Tri-State Windows, like the plague.

Gary

• pequa1, dabassman, Lou G and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2586 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted June 29 2020 - 11:23 AM

I replaced all my windows a few years ago and had the same type of B.S. from several established companies : finally measured and bought my own Andersen windows a local contractor installed them at slightly over 1/2 the big guys estimate I had new windows.Last year I wanted another side window and he cut out the wall and installed it again with no pain

• packetloss likes this

#3 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1494 posts

Posted June 29 2020 - 12:04 PM

LOL just did mine with Anderson and an Anderson rep came and measured but measured  wrong. Wanted me to keep the windows that came and he would have the installer bulid up the frame which is what I wanted to avoid to fit his bad measurements. I told him order me the correct size and keep the mis measured ones. he did it with some balking and then went across the street and sold my  neighbor the others at a discount.All worked out.

#4 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 128 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2020 - 02:18 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT bother calling renewal by Anderson.  They quoted me something around 30K to replace my windows.   I had a local contractor order Andersen windows and replace them for around 5K.

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 29 2020 - 02:27 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT bother calling renewal by Anderson.  They quoted me something around 30K to replace my windows.   I had a local contractor order Andersen windows and replace them for around 5K.

Yes, very high. The salesman makes a huge commission I bet. Many replacement windows are easily available from Home Depot or local contractor. It will cost $200 a window if you find the right contractor.

#6 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted June 29 2020 - 06:12 PM

My poor father in got taken by a door to door salesman.  He had ANDERSON windows to start from the late 80's. they were double pane with no cracks or leaks what so ever.  They convinced him to replace them..  $22,000 for like 20 windows and one POS SLIDING GLASS door that they told him NEVER to step on the Sill or it will come off the track!  WTF..  I was furious when I found out what he paid months later.   I have been doing carpentry for over 20 years.  He had perfectly good windows.   I would Throat punch that company who ever they were.  Its a sore subject so I dont bring it up.   

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 30 2020 - 06:09 AM

My poor father in got taken by a door to door salesman.  He had ANDERSON windows to start from the late 80's. they were double pane with no cracks or leaks what so ever.  They convinced him to replace them..  $22,000 for like 20 windows and one POS SLIDING GLASS door that they told him NEVER to step on the Sill or it will come off the track!  WTF..  I was furious when I found out what he paid months later.   I have been doing carpentry for over 20 years.  He had perfectly good windows.   I would Throat punch that company who ever they were.  Its a sore subject so I dont bring it up.

Last year we had an Anderson salesman stop over to give an estimate. My mom and sister wanted a few new windows installed. I happened to stop by when this guy was telling my mom and sister that the windows we have are over 20 years old being drafty and outdated. I said to him these Andersen Windows are not drafty or outdated. My mom and sister only want a few windows replaced. The salesman wanted to replace every window in the house. Good thing I was there. The estimate was $30,000, I hired a local guy. He updated my siding, roof and replaced the windows we wanted originally for the cost of the crazy estimate from the Andersen salesman.

#8 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2938 posts

Posted June 30 2020 - 11:07 AM

I used Anderson extensively.   They SUCK.  They all failed within the 20 year warranty period.   Had to replace everyone at my labor expense, with their new glass.

2nd'ly,  their casements sucked so badly, Anderson redesigned them around Y2K.

Then I moved,  and my new house has Anderson's.  (done in 2001)    They suck too.   Just as bad.    Wood door rotted out,  doesn't close correctly.    Double hung windows don't operate.

Anderson is pure garbage.  

I have done 2 builds since with Marvin's.     1st class glass and operators !!

I tried Pella, they have quality problems... not corrected yet...

#9 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 759 posts

Posted June 30 2020 - 12:53 PM

Are they any different from roofers, new and used car salesmen and dealerships, and everyone else looking to maximize profit no matter what the hustle may be? I replaced a roof about five years ago. Ready to sign up a very well known outfit in Nassau. I asked for certain insurances naming me as additional insured. That didn't work out too well for them. A potential customer who actually reads things. What a surprise !!

Nobody is watching your pocket except you.

#10 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2586 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted June 30 2020 - 01:29 PM

Last year we had an Anderson salesman stop over to give an estimate. My mom and sister wanted a few new windows installed. I happened to stop by when this guy was telling my mom and sister that the windows we have are over 20 years old being drafty and outdated. I said to him these Andersen Windows are not drafty or outdated. My mom and sister only want a few windows replaced. The salesman wanted to replace every window in the house. Good thing I was there. The estimate was $30,000, I hired a local guy. He updated my siding, roof and replaced the windows we wanted originally for the cost of the crazy estimate from the Andersen 

I used Anderson extensively.   They SUCK.  They all failed within the 20 year warranty period.   Had to replace everyone at my labor expense, with their new glass.

2nd'ly,  their casements sucked so badly, Anderson redesigned them around Y2K.

Then I moved,  and my new house has Anderson's.  (done in 2001)    They suck too.   Just as bad.    Wood door rotted out,  doesn't close correctly.    Double hung windows don't operate.

Anderson is pure garbage.  

I have done 2 builds since with Marvin's.     1st class glass and operators !!

I tried Pella, they have quality problems... not corrected yet...

My Anderson slider is 20+ years and works fine,my Anderson wood windows are about 4 years old and look great and work better but since they are "only " 4 years old I would be "worried but since I expect to be dead or living somewhere in the Carolinas in the next 2 years I will just enjoy them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users