Hunters Ed - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hunters Ed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3332 posts

Posted June 28 2020 - 09:29 PM

Just finished my hunters ed today. Us it just me or is like 99% of it don't shoot yourself or your friends? Started my bow hunter education. Weird that if there class is completed before the 15th of July it will only count as the precourse homework, but after the 15th it will be the actual course.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 123 posts

Posted June 29 2020 - 07:33 AM

I taught the Hunter Ed and Bowhunter Ed classes for 35 years. One thing I learned by networking with other instructors and Master instructors was that you can have 10 people teaching the exact same curriculum and what the students get out of the program will be totally different in each class. Some instructors have excellent teaching skills and students will walk away with a wealth of knowledge and a newfound sense of excitement of the shooting sports. On the other hand, some instructors lack real teaching skills and just lecture from the manual or spend more time telling war stories than most can stand.

The "don't shoot yourself or your hunting partner" is an important part of the program because that is exactly what happens in most shooting/hunting mishaps. However, there is so much more to the program and a well rounded hunter education is the real goal.

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4864 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 29 2020 - 10:31 AM

I was fortunate in that my first three hunting buddies were and are Hunter Safety and Bow Safety instructors.   All three were curious as to who my class instructors were (although two of them assisted during the bow safety class at the end of which we actually shot arrows at the old gun shop on 110, American Outdoors .)  Coming from varsity rifle teams and the Army the safety stuff was just a refresher, but I definitely recall there was a lot on how to quickly dress the deer  if its warm out and always wear a harness in the tree.   I was disappointed that they did not emphasize wearing blaze orange (except of course while turkey hunting.)  And Charlie-NY, thank you for your volunteerism !

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 204 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted June 29 2020 - 11:14 AM

A lot of it is obvious or repetitive, but there are always a few helpful nuggets that could save your ass.

• pequa1 likes this

#5 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3332 posts

Posted June 29 2020 - 12:48 PM

I mean that is the obvious downside of online only hunter education. I kinda hope there would be classes that I could network a bit at. Getting into hunting later in life is kind of daunting to say the least
  • pequa1 likes this

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 29 2020 - 01:46 PM

Let’s hope the Chinese Virus did influence more people to take the online course offered. The DMV is by appointment only and has extended expired driver license, registration and inspection after March 31.

#7 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 29 2020 - 09:43 PM

What I remember from the course is never wear red, white, and black during turkey hunting season.

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 30 2020 - 05:42 AM

Blaze Orange is not law or required for a hunter to wear in New York. You do however need to produce a valid hunting license upon demand. It’s illegal to have another person(s) hunting license on you. Rifles and Shotguns are required to be unloaded when on a ATV, a valid N.Y. pistol license is exempt from that law when carrying concealed . A few things a good instructor will go over in class.

#9 cprstn54

cprstn54

Respected Gunowner

• 204 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted June 30 2020 - 07:10 AM

What I remember from the course is never wear red, white, and black during turkey hunting season.

Not black -- blue.

• boosti likes this

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4864 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 30 2020 - 11:01 AM

I mean that is the obvious downside of online only hunter education. I kinda hope there would be classes that I could network a bit at. Getting into hunting later in life is kind of daunting to say the least

I hear you.   I was mid 50s when I started and thank God every day that it was my former battalion commander and at the time 18 years as a hunter safety instructor who mentored me.  Not a day hunting goes by when I don't feel the loss of my friend, whose woodsman skills would shame Daniel Boone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users