Hello Everyone! Quick question. - The Welcome Mat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hello Everyone! Quick question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wingl

wingl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHicksville

Posted June 23 2020 - 10:18 AM

Had pigeons nesting under my solar panels and ran across this site. Glad I did. Enjoy hunting and target shooting. Skeet, rifle and pistol.

While I have your attention, what's the legality of shooting pigeons with an air rifle? There's about 10 pigeons that are nesting under my solar panels, crapping all over the place and waking me up at 5am every morning since my bedroom is directly under their nests. Amazing how much noise a few birds can make. I've tried a hose, pressure washer, spring air soft gun and a roofing guy with a pole (took out all the nests but they came back). Tried the safe, non-lethal methods and I don't want to pay someone $1500 to put up bird spikes and possibly damage my panels if something is not done right. My neighbors are asking me if I'm raising them up there since they're flying over to their houses now and they don't want them crapping on their house either.

Thanks for listening to my rant and hope you have an answer or solution. See you on the range!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 117 posts

Posted June 23 2020 - 10:59 AM

I am assuming you live in a suburban neighborhood on the island. Sounds like you really tried everything you could. Yeah they are really annoying, even the pigeons are leaving NYC lol. This is not legal advice, but off the top of my head I'd say you should check up your local ordinances regarding discharging an air rifle. It is most likely not permitted, and could be classified as reckless endangerment for illegal discharging a gun near a dwelling, especially if your neighbors are close by and call it in. Not sure if there are any animal protections as well that PETA could also get on your case about. You tried airsoft already, would an air rifle be that much more of an upgrade? Maybe there is some kind of netting you could lay or scarecrow owl that would work? Good luck, I'm sure people who know more than I do will come in and respond 

Had pigeons nesting under my solar panels and ran across this site. Glad I did. Enjoy hunting and target shooting. Skeet, rifle and pistol.

While I have your attention, what's the legality of shooting pigeons with an air rifle? There's about 10 pigeons that are nesting under my solar panels, crapping all over the place and waking me up at 5am every morning since my bedroom is directly under their nests. Amazing how much noise a few birds can make. I've tried a hose, pressure washer, spring air soft gun and a roofing guy with a pole (took out all the nests but they came back). Tried the safe, non-lethal methods and I don't want to pay someone $1500 to put up bird spikes and possibly damage my panels if something is not done right. My neighbors are asking me if I'm raising them up there since they're flying over to their houses now and they don't want them crapping on their house either.

Thanks for listening to my rant and hope you have an answer or solution. See you on the range!

#3 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6193 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted June 23 2020 - 11:02 AM

To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions on hunting or killing pigeons but, depending on where you live, it may not be legal to discharge an air rifle or air handgun, on your property. Also, there's always the danger of a miss, then damaging your solar panels. Have you simply tried poisoned bits of bread, thrown up, to rest on or near the solar panels?

Per the NYS DEC’s website, at https://www.dec.ny.g...oor/27801.html:
    "In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken. The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.
    Air guns may be used to hunt squirrels, rabbits, hares, ruffed grouse, and furbearers that may be hunted (e.g., raccoons and coyotes) and unprotected species. Air guns may not be used to hunt waterfowl, pheasant, wild turkey, or big game."

Gary

#4 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4870 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 23 2020 - 11:42 AM

Hicksville.   Since I am in an crowded development in Matzohpizza, I would guess that your neighbors could see you if you did the air gun thing.   I know that in our township discharging one is illegal anyway.  Although you already tried it, I would have a power washer on standby and every chance I got I would spray them and the area.     Eventually they should get the hint.

#5 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2593 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted June 23 2020 - 02:07 PM

There is a sticky foot product that works really well with pigeons a friend of mine used it around his wood water tank in the city.

Don't know the name but Google it or better yet duckduckgo it

#6 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 3903 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted June 24 2020 - 04:36 AM

There are currently lots of statues available for repurposing as pigeon roosts.

• a7vette2 likes this

#7 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 826 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 24 2020 - 07:20 AM

I have animal guards around the underside of my solar panels. (Basically, it's just a screen) They keep the squirrels, birds etc. out and they work. They are a little expensive but you could save money if you can install them yourself. Good luck.

#8 Tracee

Tracee

Respected Gunowner

• 213 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted June 25 2020 - 09:52 AM

"...even the pigeons are leaving NY..."

Good one!!!

#9 BrantBume

BrantBume

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted June 27 2020 - 03:11 PM

Adrian Hamilton from Newton was looking for federal meat inspector resume example

Eric Anderson found the answer to a search query federal meat inspector resume example

500x500.jpg

Who can write my essay cheap? Best essay writing service EssayErudite.com

essay on the principle of population 1798
free templates for homework logs
essay on corporal punishment should be abolished
good ideas comparison essays
essay about faith
essay on trojan war
essay on an ideal education system
essay for entrance to college
guilhem bertholet business plan
free essay on leadership and management