Legal Shotgun Storage Requirements - Home Security / Safes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Legal Shotgun Storage Requirements

shotgun safe storage legal home defense lock help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedNick

ConfusedNick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted June 13 2020 - 10:40 PM

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, and for the life of me I cant find any answers online about securing the thing in my home. The real question is do I even need a safe for a shotgun in Nassau? are gun locks a legal alternative?
Secondly, do shells need to be kept separately, locked up separately or can they be together?
I do not have kids nor am I anticipating any, I know its required for them. Any other details you would like to share about this is greatly appreciated.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11072 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 14 2020 - 04:42 AM

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, and for the life of me I cant find any answers online about securing the thing in my home. The real question is do I even need a safe for a shotgun in Nassau? are gun locks a legal alternative?
Secondly, do shells need to be kept separately, locked up separately or can they be together?
I do not have kids nor am I anticipating any, I know its required for them. Any other details you would like to share about this is greatly appreciated.

Inside the home for self - defense the firearm may be loaded. I would definitely have a gun safe or lock for safety reasons. Ammunition doesn’t need to be secured in a separate area from the firearm.
Only a licensed New York pistol license holder may keep a fully loaded pistol and magazines inside a vehicle. Rifles and Shotguns must be unloaded including magazines and ammunition stored in a different location.
  • pequa1 likes this

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4870 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 14 2020 - 11:59 AM

Inside the home for self - defense the firearm may be loaded. I would definitely have a gun safe or lock for safety reasons. Ammunition doesn’t need to be secured in a separate area from the firearm.
Only a licensed New York pistol license holder may keep a fully loaded pistol and magazines inside a vehicle. Rifles and Shotguns must be unloaded including magazines and ammunition stored in a different location.

Rifles and Shotguns must be unloaded including magazines and ammunition stored in a different location ( in the vehicle.)

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11072 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 14 2020 - 12:07 PM

Rifles and Shotguns must be unloaded including magazines and ammunition stored in a different location ( in the vehicle.)

The unloaded magazines must be separate from ammunition while inside a vehicle. The DEC are very quick to penalize a hunter if their empty magazines are stuffed in the same compartment with ammunition.
  • pequa1 likes this

#5 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• 117 posts

Posted June 15 2020 - 03:27 PM

If we are just driving to the range, and not to/from/on DEC lands/hunting areas, can mags be loaded ahead of time and of course kept separate from the unloaded firearm? Just a big waste of a hour session to have to load mags. Thanks boosti

The unloaded magazines must be separate from ammunition while inside a vehicle. The DEC are very quick to penalize a hunter if their empty magazines are stuffed in the same compartment with ammunition.

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11072 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 15 2020 - 05:55 PM

If we are just driving to the range, and not to/from/on DEC lands/hunting areas, can mags be loaded ahead of time and of course kept separate from the unloaded firearm? Just a big waste of a hour session to have to load mags. Thanks boosti

If you have a valid New York pistol license you are exempt for having loaded magazines for the pistol. No loaded magazines for a rifle or shotgun going hunting or to the range allowed as per the ECL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shotgun, safe, storage, legal, home defense, lock, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users