FFL from FL to NY Suffolk - FFLs Listings & Reviews - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

FFL from FL to NY Suffolk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jtm311

jtm311

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted June 06 2020 - 07:41 AM

I'm reading mixed info on transferring my pistol which I own in FL under a CCW to my Suffolk license. Do I have to ship it through a FFL here in NY? Also do you know if it can be registered in both states? Thanks John

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2334 posts

Posted June 06 2020 - 08:59 AM

Nothing is registered in Florida..

You need to ship it thru an ffl..

If you show up at headquarters without going thru an ffl they will take it away from you and tell you you brought the firearm into NY illegally...

You can guess what will happen to your Suffolk license

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11229 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 06 2020 - 09:07 AM

I'm reading mixed info on transferring my pistol which I own in FL under a CCW to my Suffolk license. Do I have to ship it through a FFL here in NY? Also do you know if it can be registered in both states?

Thanks
John

Did you purchase the pistol in Florida with a Florida ID as a resident?
You can buy a pistol in any state through an FFL, however, the FFL would have to transfer that pistol to the home residence local FFL.

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

Banned

• Banned
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted June 06 2020 - 10:46 AM

Seems pointless to have same firearm and same owner put through NICS twice.

Call Yaphank and see if someone there knows something.

#5 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted June 06 2020 - 10:48 AM

Ship it to ffl here. They’ll hold it until you add it to your license. If the mags aren’t 10 rounds or less leave them in Florida or don’t bring them with you when checking I.

#6 jtm311

jtm311

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted June 06 2020 - 02:47 PM

Thanks all, I purchase int in FL and have a place there.  I will ask them to transfer it to a FLL in NY :(

#7 jtm311

jtm311

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted June 06 2020 - 02:48 PM

Agreed buy it's NY !

#8 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 231 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 06 2020 - 03:05 PM

I'm curious, why does it have to be a NY FFL?  Isn't an FFL federal licence?  Why can't you get the same purchase slip from any FFL?  What exactly is magical about a NY FFL?   If the issue is transporting the firearm into NY, then couldn't you get the slip from the FL FFL, get the gun added before bringing it in to NY.

#9 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2334 posts

Posted June 06 2020 - 03:43 PM

I'm curious, why does it have to be a NY FFL? Isn't an FFL federal licence? Why can't you get the same purchase slip from any FFL? What exactly is magical about a NY FFL? If the issue is transporting the firearm into NY, then couldn't you get the slip from the FL FFL, get the gun added before bringing it in to NY.

NO!!@@@

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11229 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 07 2020 - 06:30 AM

I'm curious, why does it have to be a NY FFL?  Isn't an FFL federal licence?  Why can't you get the same purchase slip from any FFL?  What exactly is magical about a NY FFL?   If the issue is transporting the firearm into NY, then couldn't you get the slip from the FL FFL, get the gun added before bringing it in to NY.

An FFL in New York must have a New York Dealers License to transfer a Handgun. The Florida FFL will sell a handgun to an out of state resident. That Florida FFL can ship it to the home state for the buyer.
The New York part time resident license is available for anyone who has an out of state residency as primary.

#11 cprstn54

cprstn54

Banned

• Banned
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted June 07 2020 - 09:09 PM

An FFL in New York must have a New York Dealers License to transfer a Handgun. The Florida FFL will sell a handgun to an out of state resident. That Florida FFL can ship it to the home state for the buyer.
The New York part time resident license is available for anyone who has an out of state residency as primary.

I was under the impression that no FFL will deliver a handgun to a non-resident of the FFL's state. So, for example, I could not buy a handgun in PA and take delivery there.

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11229 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 08 2020 - 05:22 AM

I was under the impression that no FFL will deliver a handgun to a non-resident of the FFL's state. So, for example, I could not buy a handgun in PA and take delivery there.

In Pennsylvania, you may purchase a New York compliant Long Gun Firearm and leave with it, a handgun can’t leave with the buyer, it must get shipped to an FFL.
Walmart and other gun shops as a policy will not sell a New York resident a firearm.

#13 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 231 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 08 2020 - 10:43 AM

In this case the OP has a residence in FL as well as NY.

They really do try to make this stuff way too cumbersome.  

Perhaps the OP can do an in person,  Person to Person transfer from himself to himself via a NY FFL?   Really only difference would be cost and not having to ship from a FL ffl to NY FFL.

#14 jtm311

jtm311

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted June 08 2020 - 11:11 AM

In this case the OP has a residence in FL as well as NY.

They really do try to make this stuff way too cumbersome.  

Perhaps the OP can do an in person,  Person to Person transfer from himself to himself via a NY FFL?   Really only difference would be cost and not having to ship from a FL ffl to NY FFL.

I really thought I would be able to transport it myself from FL to NY then go to a FFL as you mentioned, however I called and spoke to them today and they said it must be shipped between dealers.

#15 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 716 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted June 08 2020 - 05:58 PM

In Pennsylvania, you may purchase a New York compliant Long Gun Firearm and leave with it, a handgun can’t leave with the buyer, it must get shipped to an FFL.
Walmart and other gun shops as a policy will not sell a New York resident a firearm.

IIRC, I bought a shotgun at walmart in PA. It wasn't a problem.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11229 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 08 2020 - 06:36 PM

IIRC, I bought a shotgun at walmart in PA. It wasn't a problem.

When was this? Walmart in Honesdale Pennsylvania will not sell to a New York resident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users