Just heard there are lines at the LGS again today - Page 3 - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Just heard there are lines at the LGS again today

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted June 04 2020 - 09:17 PM

40 yard dumpsters at every entrance to the Huntington shopping mall. Completely blocked off the parking lot. Cops roving the parking lot, on foot, and in car. Store fronts facing RT 110 are boarded up.

Any pictures or articles? Under normal circumstances, I work around that area.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 3981 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted June 05 2020 - 05:22 AM

Hey am I right thinking that this poster shows an Arby's in the foreground with something burning?  I like my roast beef rare thanks.  In both pictures people of color are giving the black power sign.  If only their intention was to Stop and Shop.  Did they post the no looting allowed signs?  I wish the Smithtown bull could come to life and clear the streets.  Apparently, everyone else's lives don't matter anymore.  

#43 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1365 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted June 05 2020 - 09:25 AM

Latest from Newsday....

By Nicholas Spangler [email protected] @spanglernewsday Updated June 5, 2020 8:06 AM

Smithtown officials, alarmed by the social media response to a flyer for a rally planned in the town this weekend, are asking residents to be skeptical of rumors as they attempt to contact the event organizer and coordinate a response by Suffolk police and the town’s public safety department.  

“We are saying to residents, ‘Take a breath,’ ” said town spokeswoman Nicole Garguilo, who wrote a letter to residents that is now posted on the town website asking for calm. “There is goodness in this community and it is imperative that people don’t focus on the negative they see in social media.”

The flyer began circulating on social media groups used by town residents last weekend: two masked people, silhouetted by the flames of a burning building on top, and a young black woman at what appears to be a 1960s civil rights march on the bottom. “Black Lives Matter Protest” read text announcing a rally Sunday afternoon and giving the address of the Stop & Shop on West Main Street.

The response from town residents, who are predominantly white and affluent, was mixed on platforms like Nextdoor and Facebook. Some expressed bewilderment at plans for a demonstration in a town that has seen few, even as thousands marched elsewhere on Long Island and in New York City to condemn racism and police brutality after a black man, George Floyd, died after he was pinned to the ground with an officer's knee on his neck. Some expressed support, with one poster suggesting the event could provide a learning experience for children and noting that other Long Island rallies have been peaceful. 

But on Smithtown Dads, a Facebook page where discussion typically involves lawn care and restaurant recommendations, one poster suggested forming a “human chain of law-abiding citizens along Main Street.”  Others, jokingly or not, suggested they would arm themselves with guns or baseball bats and hockey sticks. One, prefacing his comment by saying he had no proof, spread a rumor about police finding palettes of bricks in town, prompting Councilman Thomas Lohmann, a former law enforcement officer who maintains close ties with those still on the force, to post himself: “Completely false!” 

There are no such piles, Lohmann said, adding that town public safety and Suffolk County police officers will be present Sunday. Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder also released a statement Wednesday dispelling rumors about false claims on social media that yellow crosses that were being painted on items, which have been spotted around the county, are not markers for protesters to strategically place bricks or weapons to use to commit violent acts.

In an interview, Lohmann said Smithtown firefighters would also be on duty and town workers would remove trash receptacles from Main Street as a precaution, though he expected a peaceful event. "We're not a racist community," he said. "We embrace people who want to come here. It doesn't matter what race you are, what your religious beliefs are." 

A spokeswoman for Stop & Shop wrote in an email that the company “is incredibly saddened by the death of George Floyd, and we understand the profound impact this has had on our communities. We are aware of the protest slated to take place at our Smithtown store. This protest was not planned by or affiliated with Stop & Shop; however, we do respect the community’s right to protest peacefully.”

Get the Breaking News newsletter!

Get the latest breaking news as it happens.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman wrote in an email that officers have been present at a number of events where “participants have conducted themselves in a peaceful and lawful manner." 

The purported organizer, whom Garguilo believes is a former Smithtown resident, did not respond to a message sent over Twitter. Dylan Rice, a Smithtown resident who is challenging Assemb. Michael Fitzpatrick (R-St. James), said he had exchanged messages with a person whose account gave only the name Caitlin and who said she was 20. 

Rice said Caitlin told him she wanted to prompt discussion about job opportunities, credit-building opportunities and real estate, a sometimes fraught topic for a region with a history of de facto segregation. Rice said he believed her intent was “not to stir violence, but to stir a conversation that needs to happen.” 

Christopher McNamara, Greater Smithtown Chamber of Commerce president, said the business group’s chief message to members was that authorities were working to ensure the event would be peaceful. “I believe in the First Amendment, the right to assembly, the right to protest, and what happened to Mr. Floyd was horrible,” he said. “By the same token,” violent demonstration is unacceptable, he said. “We want to make sure cooler heads prevail.”

Garguilo said town officials were trying to reach the event organizer to offer town hall as a location for the rally because of safety concerns at Stop & Shop, located on a hill where cars sometimes speed. 

Nicholas Spangler covers the Town of Smithtown and has worked at Newsday since 2010.

#44 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 25657 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted June 05 2020 - 02:45 PM

May 2020 Destroys NICS Records of Any Year since Program Introduction

It seems that 2020 is heating up in the gun world as last month we just witnessed the highest number of NICS checks in the FBI’s history for the month of May. Throughout 2020, federal background checks have continued to increase due to various circumstances across the nation. However, May 2020 in particular seems to have seen its biggest month ever since the establishment of the system 20 years ago.

May 2020 Destroys NICS Records of Any Year since Program Introduction

According to a National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) study, May 2020 saw a staggering 3,066,740 checks conducted through the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). While this is a big number, the NSSF removed the checks that were gun permit checks for states that require those procedures. With the permit checks removed, the total number of firearm-related checks is revealed to be at 1,595,790.

NICS-NSSF-May-2020-1-660x481.jpg

May 2020 Destroys NICS Records of Any Year since Program Introduction Source: NSSF

The 3 million figure for the month reflects a 32.1% jump from the unadjusted FBI NICS figure of 2,320,918 in May 2019 nearly a million less than this year. In line with this year, the paired down numbers for 2019 come out to 910,910 total checks while exempting permit checks. This translates to a 684,880 increase in checks for the month of May alone.

image_from_ios-660x440.jpg

Photo Credit: Linda Moon

According to NSSF Director of Public Affairs Mark Oliva, May’s adjusted NICS background check figures are the highest on record for any May since record-keeping began on point-of-sale instant background checks, Americans are being confronted with decisions regarding their personal safety and are voting with their wallets on their right to keep and bear arms.

Director Oliva also made a point to mention that the last survey of firearm retailers reflected that 40% of gun buyers recently are actually first time buyers. If you happen to be one of these people be sure to check out our article on what to do if you’re a new gun owner. Of that 40% of new gun owners, another 40% are women of which a vast majority are buying handguns for personal protection.

image_from_ios-2-660x440.jpg

Photo Credit: B Brown

#45 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 05 2020 - 04:03 PM

Impressive when you remember there is nothing left on the shelves to buy!

#46 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1742 posts

Posted June 05 2020 - 06:30 PM

Impressive when you remember there is nothing left on the shelves to buy!

True was helping out my cousin at his shop in Patterson and he is sold out shelves bare. Unreal like nothing he has seen in 15 years.

#47 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 664 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted June 05 2020 - 06:54 PM

I am all for the buying. There is going to be business for trainers on gun safety after these protests end.

More people will be pro2A.

I know many people who have asked me about guns and I’ve already shown a few first time owners how to be safe around their firearms. Be sure to offer help to a newbie if you see them at the range in the coming months. We have to win the minds...now that riots have gained their hearts.

#48 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 05 2020 - 08:04 PM

image_from_ios-2-660x440.jpg

Photo Credit: B Brown

My question is where can I find a range nearby that looks like this one!

#49 wwolf

wwolf

Respected Gunowner

• 279 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 11 2020 - 10:51 AM

My question is where can I find a range nearby that looks like this one!

No range on Long Island is this nice. I have been to a few nice ranges out of state. The nicest one I have been to have to be InPax in McCandless just outside of Pittsburgh. In the range, there is a nice cafeteria, a fitness gym with many equipment.

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

Very unfortunate.

https://www.reddit.c...good_per_email/

#50 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 11 2020 - 08:32 PM

No range on Long Island is this nice. I have been to a few nice ranges out of state. The nicest one I have been to have to be InPax in McCandless just outside of Pittsburgh. In the range, there is a nice cafeteria, a fitness gym with many equipment.

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

Very unfortunate.

https://www.reddit.c...good_per_email/

That is too bad, that looked like a really nice range too.   

#51 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5523 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted June 11 2020 - 09:49 PM

Here's my favorite gun club.........https://www.friscogunclub.com/

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#52 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 67 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted June 12 2020 - 06:18 AM

DSI has to be the nicest I have been to.  But bensons is the only other place I've been to indoors.  

#53 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 12 2020 - 10:04 AM

DSI has to be the nicest I have been to.  But bensons is the only other place I've been to indoors.  

Darkstar looks pretty good.  Seems to be the most state of the art on the island.  I guess the only slight issue is their hours and it's only 17 yards.  I guess I could live with that for pistol.

Any issues collecting your own brass there?  Do they have any policies about checking that a pistol is on someones license in order to shoot it?  I want to bring my daughter down there and so far it's no issue at Calverton.

#54 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 12 2020 - 08:13 PM

Darkstar looks pretty good.  Seems to be the most state of the art on the island.  I guess the only slight issue is their hours and it's only 17 yards.  I guess I could live with that for pistol.

Any issues collecting your own brass there?  Do they have any policies about checking that a pistol is on someones license in order to shoot it?  I want to bring my daughter down there and so far it's no issue at Calverton.

Assuming that your daughter is under 21 and you have a certificate of completion of the NYS Hunter Education course you should not have any problems at DSI. You should also bring a birth certificate to show she is your daughter (I did as I recall). I started taking my daughter their when she was 16. She was able to shoot any of my handguns (although she prefers her 10/22).

BTW. Even though it is legal, Mitchell field will not let your daughter shoot your handguns under any circumstance.

#55 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4903 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 13 2020 - 12:08 PM

7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the  purpose

of  loading  and  firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of

which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not  under

twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a)

a  duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force,

marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of  the  state  of

New York; or (B) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who

has  been  granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice

issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by

the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association

of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under  the  laws

of  this  state;  or © a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of

eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have

a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety,

ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or  honored  by

the  department  of  environmental  conservation; or (d) an agent of the

department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in

responsible  hunting  practices  pursuant  to  article  eleven  of   the

environmental conservation law.

7-a.  Possession and use, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located

in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated  organization

organized  for  conservation  purposes or to foster proficiency in small

arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or

approved by the national rifle association for the  purpose  of  loading

and  firing  the  same, by a person duly licensed to possess a pistol or

revolver pursuant to section 400.00 or  400.01  of  this  chapter  of  a

pistol  or revolver duly so licensed to another person who is present at

the time.

7-b. Possession and use, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range  located

in  or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization

organized for conservation purposes or to foster  proficiency  in  small

arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or

approved  by  the  national rifle association for the purpose of loading

and firing the same, by a person  who  has  applied  for  a  license  to

possess a pistol or revolver and pre-license possession of same pursuant

to section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter, who has not been previously

denied  a  license,  been  previously  convicted  of a felony or serious

offense, and who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger

to himself or to others, and who has been approved  for  possession  and

use  herein in accordance with section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter;

provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or  revolver

duly  licensed  to and shall be used under the supervision, guidance and

instruction  of,  a  person  specified  in  paragraph  seven   of   this

subdivision  and provided further that such possession and use be within

the jurisdiction of the licensing officer with whom the person has  made

application therefor or within the jurisdiction of the superintendent of

state  police  in  the case of a retired sworn member of the division of

state police who has made an application pursuant to section  400.01  of

this chapter.

7-c.  Possession  for  the  purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle,

pistol or shotgun, the propelling force of  which  may  be  either  air,

compressed  gas  or  springs, by a person under sixteen years of age but

not  under  twelve,  under  the  immediate  supervision,  guidance   and

instruction  of  (a)  a  duly  commissioned officer of the United States

army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the

state of New York; or (B) a duly qualified adult citizen of  the  United

States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms

practice  issued  by the United States army, navy or marine corps, or by

the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association

of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under  the  laws

of  this  state;  or © a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of

eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have

a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety,

ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or  honored  by

the department of environmental conservation.

7-d.  Possession,  at  an  indoor  or  outdoor  shooting range for the

purpose of loading and firing,  of  a  rifle,  pistol  or  shotgun,  the

propelling  force of which may be either air, compressed gas or springs,

by a person under twelve years of age, under the immediate  supervision,

guidance  and  instruction  of  (a)  a  duly commissioned officer of the

United States army, navy,  marine  corps  or  coast  guard,  or  of  the

national  guard  of the state of New York; or (B) a duly qualified adult

citizen of the United States who has been granted a  certificate  as  an

instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy

or  marine  corps,  or  by the adjutant general of this state, or by the

national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly

organized under the laws of this state; or © a parent, guardian, or  a