Fluke fishing Long Island - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Fluke fishing Long Island

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bystander

Bystander

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNys

Posted May 17 2020 - 06:16 AM

Is fluke biting already, guys or it’s still too early?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 978 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 17 2020 - 06:42 AM

Watch the video beginning at the 14:15 minute mark.

https://www.thefishe...ategory&PDIR=12

#3 Bystander

Bystander

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNys

Posted May 17 2020 - 08:00 AM

Watch the video beginning at the 14:15 minute mark.

https://www.thefishe...ategory&PDIR=12

Thank you, Larry, great fishing report.

#4 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3328 posts

Posted May 19 2020 - 02:32 PM

Going to do some doc fishing Thursday. Anyone getting any action in the great South Bay?

#5 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2550 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted May 19 2020 - 05:52 PM

Now this post has me antsy been fishing since I was a Yute growing up in Sheepshead Bay but with no boat I introduced my grandson to the sport by party boating on the Osprey out of Port Jeff we talked about our next trip all winter but El Douchey still has our party boats tied to the dock    FUAC

#6 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3328 posts

Posted May 19 2020 - 08:45 PM

My daughter gets motion sick, so I'm cool with no boats.

#7 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6150 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted May 20 2020 - 06:55 AM

Going to do some doc fishing Thursday. Anyone getting any action in the great South Bay?

Now this post has me antsy been fishing since I was a Yute growing up in Sheepshead Bay but with no boat I introduced my grandson to the sport by party boating on the Osprey out of Port Jeff we talked about our next trip all winter but El Douchey still has our party boats tied to the dock    FUAC

My daughter gets motion sick, so I'm cool with no boats.

Also try the bulkheads and piers, at the Captree Boat Basin. Just make sure you have your current Marine Registry form on your person, if you're 16 or older. They can be excellent sites.

Gary

#8 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1365 posts

Posted May 20 2020 - 07:03 PM

Also try the bulkheads and piers, at the Captree Boat Basin. Just make sure you have your current Marine Registry form on your person, if you're 16 or older. They can be excellent sites.

Gary

What is a Marine Registry Form pardon my ignorance but never heard of this.?

#9 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1365 posts

Posted May 20 2020 - 07:10 PM

For many years I use to hop a little private charter boat out of Manhasset bay named The Swedish Princess. It was owned and operated by a guy named Steve Fallon or Capt. Steve as I use to call him.I swear he looked like Dee Snider of Twisted Sister very Nordic. Wasn't much of a boat but dam did we catch every fish in that bay 10x over.Big blues, lunker Stripers and Fluke, snagged tons of bunker,even caught some weakfish here and there.We never had to go far out of the bay but we always caught our limit and did a lot of catch and release too. Capt. Steve could fish man I swear. Even when things were still and not much action he would pull them up.He moved to Ohio I believe saying he was going to be landlocked. Miss that dude.

#10 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6150 posts

Posted May 21 2020 - 07:14 AM

It was the FREE substitute, for which SASI fought, in place of the fee-based, saltwater fishing license. When you renew your hunting/freshwater fishing license(s), you should make sure that the clerk also has you listed in the Marine Registry, so you can fish saltwater. The Marine Registry is not required, if you fish, soley, from party boats, as their license covers all anglers on board but, if you fish saltwater, in any other way, you need to be in the Marine Registry. You'll receive a "card," which looks like and is attached to your other hunting/fishing license "stubs." The Marine Registry requires annual renewal.

Gary

• rlitman likes this

#11 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6479 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted May 21 2020 - 06:36 PM

Now this post has me antsy been fishing since I was a Yute growing up in Sheepshead Bay but with no boat I introduced my grandson to the sport by party boating on the Osprey out of Port Jeff we talked about our next trip all winter but El Douchey still has our party boats tied to the dock FUAC

Me too, went on so many trips on the Helen H, AmberJack, Brooklyn V, etc. would pull up 2 porgies at a time (fishing on the bridge), this was in the late 70s early 80s. Snapper season was great too in the bay, in July and August. The Manhattan Beach side was good too. Fishing always sucked behind Korvettes and along the walkway to Bay Ridge, never caught shit there.

My last few trips on the James Joseph our of Huntington have sucked, all Sea Robins and shorts.

Edited by Nordon, May 21 2020 - 06:45 PM.

#12 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1365 posts

Posted May 21 2020 - 06:43 PM

It was the FREE substitute, for which SASI fought, in place of the fee-based, saltwater fishing license. When you renew your hunting/freshwater fishing license(s), you should make sure that the clerk also has you listed in the Marine Registry, so you can fish saltwater. The Marine Registry is not required, if you fish, soley, from party boats, as their license covers all anglers on board but, if you fish saltwater, in any other way, you need to be in the Marine Registry. You'll receive a "card," which looks like and is attached to your other hunting/fishing license "stubs." The Marine Registry requires annual renewal.

Gary

And when will there be a fee for the air we breathe? Thanks for the info.

#13 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1365 posts

Posted May 21 2020 - 06:44 PM

Me too, went on so many trips on the Helen H, AmberJack, Brooklyn V, etc. would pull up 2 porgies at a time (fishing on the bridge), this was in the late 70s early 80s. Snapper season was great too in the bay, in July and August. The Manhattan Beach side was good too. Fishing always sucked behind Korvettes and along the walkway to Bay Ridge, never caught shit there.

Does anyone remember catching black eels. Not the small ones you use for bait but the anaconda ones?

• phumb likes this

#14 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6479 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted May 21 2020 - 06:47 PM

Does anyone remember catching black eels. Not the small ones you use for bait but the anaconda ones?

Yeah, I hit them a couple of times as a kid when going for porgies, my dad loved them (Italian off the boat).

#15 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 978 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 22 2020 - 06:15 AM

It's free of charge. You can register online and print your registration card as soon as you're done. I just did for the hell of it. Took less than 5 minutes.

https://decals.dec.n...izenlicense.htm

• Gary_Hungerford likes this

#16 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6150 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 06:34 AM

It's free of charge. You can register online and print your registration card as soon as you're done. I just did for the hell of it. Took less than 5 minutes.

https://decals.dec.n...izenlicense.htm

Mods:

Can you make LarryD23's hot link a sticky? Most of us are going to need it, each year.

Gary

Edited by Gary_Hungerford, May 22 2020 - 06:34 AM.

• phumb likes this

#17 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4844 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 22 2020 - 06:58 AM

you still have to remember to renew it.  I put the reminder in my Iphone and on next year's Wounded Warrior wall calendar.   Finding the link is easy.   Remembering for some of us is not, lol.

• LarryD23 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users