Cedar Creek - Bow Hunting - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Cedar Creek

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 16 2020 - 08:50 AM

anyone know if it reopened ?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 16 2020 - 11:18 AM

Was it ever officially closed?  I had biked there a few weeks ago and it seemed open to me.

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 12:29 PM

Was it ever officially closed?  I had biked there a few weeks ago and it seemed open to me.

at first it was "implied" that the park except for walking or biking around the paths was closed.   did you see whether the childrens' playground and skating rink were taped off ?

#4 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1664 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 03:19 PM

I rode the bike path 2 weeks ago. There was no indication of a closure.

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4904 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 03:50 PM

Thanks gentlemen !    If my shoulder is healed...maybe...

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 10:43 AM

Just came back.   Only managed to shoot 36 arrows before tiring but I expected that.   Just three men there at 10 am, a thirtyish couple came as I was leaving.   Because of the shoulders, hadn't been there in two and a half years and was shocked to see how CLEAN the field was.  Really !     It was also evidencing a lot of mole traffic.   Unfortunately, didn't see any to "practice" on.   

#7 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 562 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 12:16 PM

Just came back.   Only managed to shoot 36 arrows before tiring but I expected that.   Just three men there at 10 am, a thirtyish couple came as I was leaving.   Because of the shoulders, hadn't been there in two and a half years and was shocked to see how CLEAN the field was.  Really !     It was also evidencing a lot of mole traffic.   Unfortunately, didn't see any to "practice" on.   

Thank you for sharing. The Nassau County website does not go into alot of detail regarding this range. If you don't mind, I'd like to run a few questions by you:

How much do they charge?

Can you bring guests (kids)?

Are crossbows permitted?

My dad recently gave me his recurve longbow from the 1960's and some arrows. It hasn't been shot since probably 1980. I was toying with the idea of buying a crossbow if the right deal comes along.

#8 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 02:54 PM

Its free but two or three years ago on summer weekends one had to display the Nassau county Leisure pass to get in to the park.   (Its parking lot accesses the Jones Beach Causeway bike path and understandably Nassau residents had no place to park whether bicycling or for the childrens playground (currently closed.)

It is self run.   Kids definitely permitted.   I will not go on weekends as some parents don't understand the word parenting.  ( Kid shoots his three arrows and runs out to get them.)    Shouting "clear" by all participants has kept fatalities down.   (Sarcasm intended.)   The other thing about weekends is that on most Saturdays, a club called Nassau Bowmen takes up almost the entire field for the day.   Their website seems to indicate they are only social distancing now.

There used to be a sign prohibiting crossbows.   (Still might be, didn't look for it today and because of my shoulder I hadn't been there since the fall of 2017.)   Brookhaven town range also prohibits them.   Crossbows are now (surprisingly) available for sale or rent at Smith Point Archery in Patchogue, where they were never available a few years back and were downright ridiculed.   However they are only a legal hunting tool upstate, prohibited on Long Island for any hunting.   Turning 70 next year and my shoulders has changed my mind about them a little but unless allowed for hunting in Suffolk not interested.  Age is why I put my own recurve aside and went to a compound in 2013.

There are only three metal picnic table bench combinations.   Today two were somewhat close together so I just laid my case on the ground and used that.   On a weekend they will likely not be available. 

No targets, and a wheeled dolly is recommended for bringing your own as the parking lot is about 100 yards away.   Bathrooms still closed, but they are the proverbial 100 yards away anyway.

#9 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 562 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info, I may have to check the range out one of these days. 

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted May 22 2020 - 03:17 PM

No problem.   In a way, its like Calverton, but free.   (If you don't bring it, you don't got it, lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users