Flying with a Pistol - Nassau County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Flying with a Pistol

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 samdaman91

samdaman91

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 12 2020 - 09:36 AM

Hi All, I just got a Nassau County Target/Hunting Pistol license. I do business trips to North Carolina monthly and was wondering if I am able to fly with my pistol there out of JFK with the license I have or will I have issues? As a side note, North Carolina is a open carry state by default however they accept NYS Carry Permits to conceal carry. As my permit is restricted in Nassau County, Do you guys think I will be able to conceal carry in North Carolina while on business? TIA

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pj4863

pj4863

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 444 posts

Posted May 12 2020 - 11:23 AM

Umm. I'm not so they accept NY's permit
https://ncdoj.gov/la...on-reciprocity/
It is open carry though

#3 samdaman91

samdaman91

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 12 2020 - 11:28 AM

Hey,

I think the list shows which takes accept the NC permit.

On the site it says that they accept permits from all 50 states:

"Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state. Out-of-state permit holders should familiarize themselves with North Carolina’s laws."

Thanks

#4 Jayo1911

Jayo1911

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted May 12 2020 - 11:33 AM

i would call the Nassau county pistol to make sure

#5 limon276

limon276

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted May 12 2020 - 11:49 AM

Nassau and NC may not be in issue but you are going to have to deal with port authority police at jfk which is in the city

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10988 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 12 2020 - 02:57 PM

Any NY Airport as a resident of NY you may travel with a firearm that is unloaded in a locked gun case with ammunition in a separate locked case. You must declare that you have a firearm with the airlines first and they will notify Port Authority Police to check your pistol license and firearm.
  • tom2009 likes this

#7 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7057 posts

Posted May 12 2020 - 03:43 PM

According to the Concealed Carry interactive map North Carolina honors the New York State license.

https://www.usacarry...ocity_maps.html

#8 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted May 12 2020 - 03:56 PM

As a NYC resident I should be able to fly out of JFK or LGA also right now that the SCOTUS case is settled? 

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10988 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 12 2020 - 07:36 PM

As a NYC resident I should be able to fly out of JFK or LGA also right now that the SCOTUS case is settled?

Did NYC agree to allow a premises pistol license holder to travel outside of NY state?

#10 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 512 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted May 13 2020 - 01:42 AM

I’m not sure you should fly out of NYC airports. Try Mac Arthur?

https://queenseagle....at-nyc-airports

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 10988 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 13 2020 - 05:29 AM

I’m not sure you should fly out of NYC airports. Try Mac Arthur?
https://queenseagle....at-nyc-airports

If you Do Not Have A Valid NY or NYC Pistol License or not covered under LEOSA. You will be Arrested. An out of state Pistol License will not cover you legally.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#12 samdaman91

samdaman91

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 13 2020 - 09:49 AM

If you Do Not Have A Valid NY or NYC Pistol License or not covered under LEOSA. You will be Arrested. An out of state Pistol License will not cover you legally.

My License is a Nassau County Target/Hunting. 

It does say on the back not valid in NYC, however I'm wondering if the Port Authority police will give me issues if I did decide to travel with it to a state that is open carry or has reciprocity with NY.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10988 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 13 2020 - 02:50 PM

My License is a Nassau County Target/Hunting. 

It does say on the back not valid in NYC, however I'm wondering if the Port Authority police will give me issues if I did decide to travel with it to a state that is open carry or has reciprocity with NY.

You may at any Airport in New York with a valid NY pistol license. You must follow TSA protocol, declare the firearm at the ticket counter and await Airport Authorities to check the firearm and pistol license.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#14 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3328 posts

Posted May 13 2020 - 03:40 PM

Or just ship it to yourself ahead of time and about the airport headache all together

#15 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted May 13 2020 - 03:42 PM

Did NYC agree to allow a premises pistol license holder to travel outside of NY state?

I have no idea. They did say we can take our pistols out of the city, to ranges and residences outside of the city but didn't offer any further clarification than that.

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, May 13 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#16 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 512 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted May 13 2020 - 06:33 PM

You may at any Airport in New York with a valid NY pistol license. You must follow TSA protocol, declare the firearm at the ticket counter and await Airport Authorities to check the firearm and pistol license.

Have you done this? JFK is in queens and our licenses state nyc is a no go. I know we can pass through with a locked container but nothing states we can stop in an airport...just curious.

#17 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24560 posts

Posted May 13 2020 - 07:01 PM

i would call the Nassau county pistol to make sure

No, I would call the N Carolina Sheriff's office in the area you are visiting. NCPD knows nothing about N Carolina law, and has no jurisdiction there. There are threads on here that deal with the mechanics of travel. Unloaded, locked container (NON TSA lock), allow extra time.

#18 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24560 posts

Posted May 13 2020 - 07:02 PM

/\ This

#19 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24560 posts

Posted May 13 2020 - 07:03 PM

Have you done this? JFK is in queens and our licenses state nyc is a no go. I know we can pass through with a locked container but nothing states we can stop in an airport...just curious.

Not a problem for travel through

#20 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2931 posts

Posted May 14 2020 - 07:56 AM

I've done it.   Rifle & Pistol.     No problem at all.   Just be respectful, and don't do anything stupid with your mouth. .    You need an extra hour, even through it's maybe 15 minutes...

• packetloss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users