2020 Pistol License Timeline - Page 10 - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2020 Pistol License Timeline

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 ZManInNY

ZManInNY

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 14 2021 - 01:35 PM

Has anyone receieved a call to their spouse and/or an approval call yet this month (January)?

If anyone has, post your timeline please.  I had my interview December 9th and I'm trying to gauge how much longer I may have to wait, especially given the Covid setbacks.

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire:
Interview:
Submitted NYS PPB 3 Application:
Spouse called:
Approved:
Permit in hand:

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#182 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 14 2021 - 02:08 PM

Has anyone receieved a call to their spouse and/or an approval call yet this month (January)?

If anyone has, post your timeline please. I had my interview December 9th and I'm trying to gauge how much longer I may have to wait, especially given the Covid setbacks.

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire:
Interview:
Spouse called:
Approved:
Permit in hand:

Had my interview first week of September and submitted the NYS application the next day. Still waiting for spouse to be contacted. If I had to guess I’m sure you have at the minimum a 6 month wait, probably longer. It’s sucks. Hopefully we don’t go back to how it was a few years ago where people waited 2 years to get the license in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#183 nick123

nick123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 14 2021 - 02:37 PM

Very helpful forum!

Just submitted my application and wanted to add my timeline here in case anyone is considering getting a license soon. I am expecting this to take a long time based on what I read on this forum.

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire: 01/07/2021
Interview:
Spouse called:
Approved:
Permit in hand:

Will update as I get updates.

Side-note, as I have read this forum and found it very helpful but wanted to confirm a few things with the process:

1. Submit SCPD Questionnaire with $10 check made payable to S.C.P.D.

2. While waiting for the call for an interview, I need to get references to sign my SCPD Character Affirmations and get them notarized. Once they get it notarized (I called for this part) they should return it back to me so I can bring the 4 signed and notarized Character Affidavit/affirmations to my interview

3. Once I get called for my interview I need to bring and have the following complete:

- Photo at PD

- Fingerprints at PD

- proof of residence

- proof of employer

- ID check (with passport or Birth certificate)

- $88.25 money order

- SCPD Character References (4) signed and notarized

4. Also, at the interview my investigator will fill out the NYS PPB3 application as we talk. Once the interview is complete he/she will give me the PPB3 form to take home and get signed again by my character references, but they DO NOT need to get it notarized again. Just need notarized for the SCPD Character Affidavit. ( I see some people saying they filled the PPB3 before the interview, but it sounds like they don't want this and do it at the interview for you)

5. Once they sign the PPB3, I bring back to Yaphank to submit the NYS PPB3. At this point, I am complete with the application deliverables from my side, correct?

6. Wait for my spouse to be called

7. Will find out if approved or not

8. Get license in mail, if approved.

Apologies, just wanted to confirm and make sure I completely understand the process. At this rate, hopefully I will get it by 2022 from what I hear!!

#184 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 14 2021 - 02:57 PM

Very helpful forum!

Just submitted my application and wanted to add my timeline here in case anyone is considering getting a license soon. I am expecting this to take a long time based on what I read on this forum.

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire: 01/07/2021
Interview:
Spouse called:
Approved:
Permit in hand:

Will update as I get updates.

Side-note, as I have read this forum and found it very helpful but wanted to confirm a few things with the process:

1. Submit SCPD Questionnaire with $10 check made payable to S.C.P.D.
2. While waiting for the call for an interview, I need to get references to sign my SCPD Character Affirmations and get them notarized. Once they get it notarized (I called for this part) they should return it back to me so I can bring the 4 signed and notarized Character Affidavit/affirmations to my interview
3. Once I get called for my interview I need to bring and have the following complete:

- Photo at PD

- Fingerprints at PD

- proof of residence

- proof of employer

- ID check (with passport or Birth certificate)

- $88.25 money order

- SCPD Character References (4) signed and notarized

4. Also, at the interview my investigator will fill out the NYS PPB3 application as we talk. Once the interview is complete he/she will give me the PPB3 form to take home and get signed again by my character references, but they DO NOT need to get it notarized again. Just need notarized for the SCPD Character Affidavit. ( I see some people saying they filled the PPB3 before the interview, but it sounds like they don't want this and do it at the interview for you)

5. Once they sign the PPB3, I bring back to Yaphank to submit the NYS PPB3. At this point, I am complete with the application deliverables from my side, correct?

6. Wait for my spouse to be called

7. Will find out if approved or not

8. Get license in mail, if approved.

Apologies, just wanted to confirm and make sure I completely understand the process. At this rate, hopefully I will get it by 2022 from what I hear!!

Everything is correct except for the investigator filling out the PBB3 as they speak to you. They will already have it filled out (at least in my case) and just go over it to make sure everything is correct. Do not fill out a PBB3 before the interview, it will definitely not be accepted because they type it up for you. Also at your interview you will be asked to sign a few forms acknowledging you received the pistol license handbook(which you don’t get it’s on the website) and also a paper acknowledging you can’t carry in NYC. Other then that you nailed it spot on.

#185 Organix

Organix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationS

Posted January 14 2021 - 03:12 PM

Can anyone confirm if SCPD is doing interviews??

#186 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 14 2021 - 03:13 PM

Can anyone confirm if SCPD is doing interviews??

Someone on here recently posted that they are not conducting interviews right now.

#187 nick123

nick123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 14 2021 - 04:38 PM

Everything is correct except for the investigator filling out the PBB3 as they speak to you. They will already have it filled out (at least in my case) and just go over it to make sure everything is correct. Do not fill out a PBB3 before the interview, it will definitely not be accepted because they type it up for you. Also at your interview you will be asked to sign a few forms acknowledging you received the pistol license handbook(which you don’t get it’s on the website) and also a paper acknowledging you can’t carry in NYC. Other then that you nailed it spot on.

Awesome - thank you very much for the help here. This handbook is on the SCPD website? Just need to read it over basically and acknowledge this at the time of interview? Also, I should be taking one eventually, but just curious if a safety course is required to obtain the license. I don't think it is...

Best of luck to you on getting your license! I would think it should be any day now, but definitely will look out for it here to see your final timeline. I am doomed!

#188 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 14 2021 - 07:11 PM

Awesome - thank you very much for the help here. This handbook is on the SCPD website? Just need to read it over basically and acknowledge this at the time of interview? Also, I should be taking one eventually, but just curious if a safety course is required to obtain the license. I don't think it is...

Best of luck to you on getting your license! I would think it should be any day now, but definitely will look out for it here to see your final timeline. I am doomed!

No safety course is required, however you’ll find in the handbook it’s “recommended” which I have no objection too. If you scroll up in this topic you’ll find one of the pages posted by me that they make you sign for if you’d like to check it out. The handbook can be found here

https://suffolkpd.or.../PDCS-4000o.pdf

#189 ZManInNY

ZManInNY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 15 2021 - 08:41 AM

Had my interview first week of September and submitted the NYS application the next day. Still waiting for spouse to be contacted. If I had to guess I’m sure you have at the minimum a 6 month wait, probably longer. It’s sucks. Hopefully we don’t go back to how it was a few years ago where people waited 2 years to get the license in hand.

Wow, you should have your license already, based on others' experiences I've seen here.  In early December, my investigator told me it would be about 3 months. He said the same when I handed in my PPB3 form a week later when they had nearly stopped doing interviews.

I also applied for my Virginia non-resident CCP on December 23rd. I bet I'll get that one before my NY one. Haha

#190 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 15 2021 - 08:47 AM

Wow, you should have your license already, based on others' experiences I've seen here. In early December, my investigator told me it would be about 3 months. He said the same when I handed in my PPB3 form a week later when they had nearly stopped doing interviews.

I also applied for my Virginia non-resident CCP on December 23rd. I bet I'll get that one before my NY one. Haha

I was told 3-6 months. So technically I’m coming up on 5 months the first week of February.

#191 Jaydee731

Jaydee731

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted January 15 2021 - 11:10 AM

I was told 3-6 months. So technically I’m coming up on 5 months the first week of February.

February 12th will be 6 months to the day for me. If it's not in hand the whole "as per Penal Law 400, I request my license in 10 days, blah blah" letter will arrive at Headquarters the following Monday
  • david111jr and NewYorker424 like this

#192 spb1122

spb1122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 05:55 PM

I think this is a great, very useful, informative thread.

Thank you to all who are posting updates about their personal experiences with their timelines.  I helps to pass the time during the waiting game anyway.

I acknowledge (but of course don't agree with) the way SC manipulates the game:

" submit rather detailed questionnaire … pay ...wait (a widely varying amount of time) … have an interview and get "your" completed NYS application ... pay again ... get the app signed by your references ... submit the complete app ...wait again ... hope for your license within six months (as per NYS guidelines) after that".

That whole fiasco is a topic best left out of this thread, and has been discussed, at length, in numerous places, numerous times. Unfortunately, it's an example of; "Until someone with almost limitless resources is willing to use those resources to fight the legal fight properly and exhaustively, things will continue as the man dictates."

That being said (again, lol), I'll share my timeline:

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire: 10/02/2020 (signed for and received by SCPD)

Interview:
Submitted NYS PPB-3 Application:
Spouse called:
Approved:
License in hand:

Like many of you (probably), and other SC residents, I kick myself for not applying decades ago.  Always meant to, never did, kept putting it off. Mostly because of the perceived obstacles that NYS, and more specifically SC, put in the process.  I admit, the "obstacles" are not anything major really, but they certainly don't make it as simple as it should be.

I'm just staying positive, because I do try to do that the older I get. I've started the process, and will just have to wait it out.  Don't like it, but, OK, I've already put it off for decades, right?

I have no skeletons in my closet, so I expect a license...eventually.

Anyway, after all that (dammit I just can't write a short post, but "A man's got to know his limitations..."), I realize I'm behind most of those that have posted in this thread.

I'll wait, and hopefully laws won't change while I'm waiting.

I do want to ask the opinion of the followers of this thread.

Do you think that the supply and demand issue will be in a better place by the end of 2021?

I realize that this question cannot be answered with facts. I'm asking for opinions.

Again, in the interest of trying to stay positive, I'm hoping that by the time my license does finally come to be in my possession, maybe handguns and their ammo will be more available?

#193 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 06:01 PM

I think this is a great, very useful, informative thread.
Thank you to all who are posting updates about their personal experiences with their timelines. I helps to pass the time during the waiting game anyway.

I acknowledge (but of course don't agree with) the way SC manipulates the game:
" submit rather detailed questionnaire … pay ...wait (a widely varying amount of time) … have an interview and get "your" completed NYS application ... pay again ... get the app signed by your references ... submit the complete app ...wait again ... hope for your license within six months (as per NYS guidelines) after that".

That whole fiasco is a topic best left out of this thread, and has been discussed, at length, in numerous places, numerous times. Unfortunately, it's an example of; "Until someone with almost limitless resources is willing to use those resources to fight the legal fight properly and exhaustively, things will continue as the man dictates."

That being said (again, lol), I'll share my timeline:

Submitted SCPD Questionnaire: 10/02/2020 (signed for and received by SCPD)
Interview:
Submitted NYS PPB-3 Application:
Spouse called:
Approved:
License in hand:

Like many of you (probably), and other SC residents, I kick myself for not applying decades ago. Always meant to, never did, kept putting it off. Mostly because of the perceived obstacles that NYS, and more specifically SC, put in the process. I admit, the "obstacles" are not anything major really, but they certainly don't make it as simple as it should be.

I'm just staying positive, because I do try to do that the older I get. I've started the process, and will just have to wait it out. Don't like it, but, OK, I've already put it off for decades, right?
I have no skeletons in my closet, so I expect a license...eventually.

Anyway, after all that (dammit I just can't write a short post, but "A man's got to know his limitations..."), I realize I'm behind most of those that have posted in this thread.
I'll wait, and hopefully laws won't change while I'm waiting.

I do want to ask the opinion of the followers of this thread.
Do you think that the supply and demand issue will be in a better place by the end of 2021?
I realize that this question cannot be answered with facts. I'm asking for opinions.
Again, in the interest of trying to stay positive, I'm hoping that by the time my license does finally come to be in my possession, maybe handguns and their ammo will be more available?

Handguns and ammo are available, you just have to know where to look.

• spb1122 likes this

#194 spb1122

spb1122

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 06:05 PM

Handguns and ammo are available, you just have to know where to look.

Fair enough, but my understanding, and from talking with my local shop, is that prices are VERY inflated, and supplies are much more limited than "typical".

Am I misinformed?

#195 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2503 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted January 17 2021 - 06:25 PM

Fair enough, but my understanding, and from talking with my local shop, is that prices are VERY inflated, and supplies are much more limited than "typical".
Am I misinformed?

Seems that the firearms are more available than the ammo at present. Not saying you cant find ammo, but you will be getting raped on the prices.
  • spb1122 likes this

#196 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 06:28 PM

Am I misinformed?

Ammo prices are very high right now, depending on what gun shop you go too you might find the prices higher than usual on firearms. I haven’t seen anything too crazy.

• spb1122 likes this

#197 spb1122

spb1122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 06:37 PM

NewYorker424, please be crystal, this is my intent regarding my question, and maybe it should be a new thread?

I have enjoyed, learned from, and respected your posts.

I consider you an asset, not a foe.

Just for a baseline, try to find a Glock 19, or a Glock 17.

I'm certainly not suggesting those particular handguns, but to be realistic, they are prime test models for discussion.

They are not available from what I see.

Again, and I am NOT an expert here, maybe a new thread should be started for new shooters that are currently looking for handguns?

As you wrote: "Handguns and ammo are available, you just have to know where to look."

I do NOT doubt you. Hell, I want you to be right. 

Maybe "Where to look" is what we should be sharing with each other?

Birds of a feather flock together, right? Our current times should be focusing us all on that.  

Times change.

When I was a young man (No offense to you or anyone else. I'm 56, and fired my first weapon at 18.), and broke into the world of deer hunting, with long guns, there was an "attitude", or hierarchy.  To be clear, I agree with, and believe in, that system.  Those that know should lead, instruct, discipline, and guide, those that follow.  I consider it a natural order.  Earn your stripes, so-to-speak.

What do you think?  New thread?  I certainly do NOT want to take this specific thread off track. Like I said up front, this is a GREAT thread. I don't want to hijack, or pull it off topic.

#198 NewYorker424

NewYorker424

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY

Posted January 17 2021 - 08:53 PM

NewYorker424, please be crystal, this is my intent regarding my question, and maybe it should be a new thread?
I have enjoyed, learned from, and respected your posts.
I consider you an asset, not a foe.
Just for a baseline, try to find a Glock 19, or a Glock 17.
I'm certainly not suggesting those particular handguns, but to be realistic, they are prime test models for discussion.
They are not available from what I see.
Again, and I am NOT an expert here, maybe a new thread should be started for new shooters that are currently looking for handguns?
As you wrote: "Handguns and ammo are available, you just have to know where to look."
I do NOT doubt you. Hell, I want you to be right.
Maybe "Where to look" is what we should be sharing with each other?
Birds of a feather flock together, right? Our current times should be focusing us all on that.
Times change.
When I was a young man (No offense to you or anyone else. I'm 56, and fired my first weapon at 18.), and broke into the world of deer hunting, with long guns, there was an "attitude", or hierarchy. To be clear, I agree with, and believe in, that system. Those that know should lead, instruct, discipline, and guide, those that follow. I consider it a natural order. Earn your stripes, so-to-speak.
What do you think? New thread? I certainly do NOT want to take this specific thread off track. Like I said up front, this is a GREAT thread. I don't want to hijack, or pull it off topic.

A lot of local gun shops are not posting their actual inventory online to avoid people from out of state from purchasing the guns. For example, I was at DSI the other day and they had so many handguns they had them on the floor behind the counter, but their website showed only 4 guns in stock.

#199 david111jr

david111jr

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 68 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM

A lot of local gun shops are not posting their actual inventory online to avoid people from out of state from purchasing the guns. For example, I was at DSI the other day and they had so many handguns they had them on the floor behind the counter, but their website showed only 4 guns in stock.

Correct dsi website didn’t have any glocks in inventory went there and had a whole floor full of them because there was no room on the shelf. Paid 620 for Glock 17 mos. which doesn’t seem to inflated. This was a couple weeks ago

• NewYorker424 likes this

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jaydee731, Galaxie67