Official? 10 round magazines are GTG - NYS and NYC Discussions (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Official? 10 round magazines are GTG

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted April 30 2020 - 09:23 AM

https://safeact.ny.gov

Click on Find Out Changes to the Act.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted April 30 2020 - 09:37 AM

I still dont see anything thats says you can load 10 rounds anywhere but range. My understanding is we can purchase 10 round magazines. We have been doing that already.
What am I missing here?

#3 pj4863

pj4863

Sharp Shooter!

• 444 posts

Posted April 30 2020 - 09:55 AM

Nor will you on that website. They have an axe to grind. Try searching for the resultant lawsuits and the results of that.

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10984 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 30 2020 - 10:07 AM

A few arrests under the Safe Act with magazines loaded with 10 rounds have been tossed out for not obtaining a search warrant to check the magazine.

#5 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25219 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted April 30 2020 - 10:18 AM

FUAC

• KPvette likes this

#6 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1234 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 12:18 PM

The "change" is from 2013.

#7 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 01:22 PM

So 7 rounds is the max you are allowed to load unless you are at the range or are law enforcement?

#8 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1234 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 03:19 PM

So 7 rounds is the max you are allowed to load unless you are at the range or are law enforcement?

Not if you abide by the Federal decision.

#9 sigmann45

sigmann45

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 691 posts

Posted April 30 2020 - 03:24 PM

:popcorn :deadhorse

• baxtersmith likes this

#10 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 04:18 PM

Not if you abide by the Federal decision.

I mean, what does NY believe the max is?   Personally, I don't want to be the test case.

#11 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7821 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted April 30 2020 - 05:39 PM

10 rounds.  Anywhere.  Courts threw out the 7 round thing as irrational. 

#12 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1234 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 05:40 PM

I mean, what does NY believe the max is?   Personally, I don't want to be the test case.

If you look up, someone is trying to tell you

YOU ARE BEATING A DEAD HORSE.

#13 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 30 2020 - 10:00 PM

If you look up, someone is trying to tell you

YOU ARE BEATING A DEAD HORSE.

I did but it seems there really is no straight answer to this, other than no point in testing it out.

The State Troopers have been given a directive not to charge anyone with breaking the law for having 8-10 rounds in their magazine. However, that does not mean other law enforcement agencies in the state won’t arrest you, because they can, and the District Attorney won’t bring charges against you, because they can! A Judge MIGHT throw the case out, but who in-their-right-mind would want to take the chance and possibly have to spend time in jail, court, and spend their hard-earned money defending themselves?

#14 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 7821 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted May 01 2020 - 01:03 AM

I did but it seems there really is no straight answer to this, other than no point in testing it out.

The State Troopers have been given a directive not to charge anyone with breaking the law for having 8-10 rounds in their magazine. However, that does not mean other law enforcement agencies in the state won’t arrest you, because they can, and the District Attorney won’t bring charges against you, because they can! A Judge MIGHT throw the case out, but who in-their-right-mind would want to take the chance and possibly have to spend time in jail, court, and spend their hard-earned money defending themselves?

Ask a lawyer.  He'll tell you the Court threw out the 7 round thing.  10 rounds is the law now.    Nothing the State Police says is the law.  The  courts and legislature make the law. 

Here's the court decision and some media coverage.  https://legalinsurre...ct-allows-rest/

Edited by grifhunter, May 01 2020 - 01:07 AM.

#15 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 512 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted May 01 2020 - 01:52 AM

I'm pretty sure that LEO can arrest you for nearly anything (or whatever lie they want to fabricate if they really want to arrest you). I've heard of officers arresting an ER nurse in the ER of the hospital because she pointed a finger at them and said, 'you can't do that.' The SGT on the scene ordered the arrest based on the fact that he felt targeted by her. When the cops arrived at the booking, the desk SGT released her immediately, but that still meant that she was detained against her will and taken away in cuffs to the police precinct.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10984 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 01 2020 - 08:31 AM

The State Troopers have been given a directive not to charge anyone with breaking the law for having 8-10 rounds in their magazine. However, that does not mean other law enforcement agencies in the state won’t arrest you, because they can, and the District Attorney won’t bring charges against you, because they can! A Judge MIGHT throw the case out, but who in-their-right-mind would want to take the chance and possibly have to spend time in jail, court, and spend their hard-earned money defending themselves?[/size]

The Western District of New York ruled on the 7 round magazine limit. A few arrests made in the state have gone to court where an attorney said there clients 4th amendment rights protected the firearms magazine from being searched without a warrant. If anyone has a current copy of the NY Penal Law under 265, look for magazines in excess of 7 rounds. If the law is in the current Penal Law, an officer May collar.

#17 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted May 01 2020 - 11:34 AM

The Western District of New York ruled on the 7 round magazine limit. A few arrests made in the state have gone to court where an attorney said there clients 4th amendment rights protected the firearms magazine from being searched without a warrant. If anyone has a current copy of the NY Penal Law under 265, look for magazines in excess of 7 rounds. If the law is in the current Penal Law, an officer May collar.

Penal law 265.23 I believe

Edited by TJ Ironhorse, May 01 2020 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users