Confusing Purchase - Newbie's Unite! - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Confusing Purchase

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 merrick777

merrick777

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 12:39 PM

Hi all,

At the moment I don't have pistol permit but it's in process. I'll be looking to purchase a pistol as soon as issued. I'm a veteran, and can purchase from military exchanges and their pricing looks decent. I live in Nassau county. An Exchange purchase would look like this: Buy from website and have shipped to local store (FFL), pick-up in person from there.... but closest is in Brooklyn- so what obstacles am I looking at here when Nassau resident buys a firearm on a federal military base, in New York City- and brings it home?

Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 03:49 PM

That makes no sense.

If it is shipped to a local FFL, what does that have to do with Brooklyn?

Last I looked, a Nassau permit holder CAN buy a gun in the City and transport it out of there in a locked box.

But why?

Are you saying that the exchange at Ft. Hamilton is an FFL and sells handguns?

They would also have to be a licensed NYS and NYC handgun dealer for that to work, but they COULD *probably* sell guns to active duty personnel without being licensed by the State or City because it is Federal property.

#3 merrick777

merrick777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 05:01 PM

Yes, from what I can see- the exchange at Ft Hamilton is an FFL and my online order would be shipped to them. I’m not Active Duty, but can shop there as a veteran.

I realize the NYC laws are different than Long Island. My question is: Can I buy online, have it shipped to Ft Hamilton, and legally pick it up there and bring it home?

Thx (sorry if my question was confusing)

#4 merrick777

merrick777

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 05:08 PM

Hmmm, actually I just called Ft Hamilton and they’re not an FFL. Not sure if any other semi-local exchanges are.

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4843 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted April 28 2020 - 05:23 PM

I don't recall ever seeing a firearm for sale at a PX ( ? )    Outside of the bases in the "impact area" pawn shops, sure. 

but this Website indicates a lot do, just not in NY or NJ (such a surprise !)  https://www.shopmyex...firearms-safety

#6 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1232 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 05:41 PM

Hmmm, actually I just called Ft Hamilton and they’re not an FFL. Not sure if any other semi-local exchanges are.

IF they do it that way, you would have it shipped to a local dealer.

But do you really think you save that much money over simply buying it local?

#7 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 05:46 PM

I guess it depends on the store and particular item, but probably no more than $100 before the transfer fee.  Might not be worth the hassle as long as you can find stock for the item locally.

#8 merrick777

merrick777

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 06:09 PM

I’ll be a first-time gun owner, so I really have no clue what I’m talking about 😂, but my thinking wasn’t solely about saving a few bucks... from LI store’s websites it seems like no one has anything in stock.

#9 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 06:47 PM

I’ll be a first-time gun owner, so I really have no clue what I’m talking about , but my thinking wasn’t solely about saving a few bucks... from LI store’s websites it seems like no one has anything in stock.

They all have handguns, the shotguns flew out of the stores. Handguns are not generally an impulse purchase (NOT speaking for myself of course).

#10 merrick777

merrick777

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 07:10 PM

They all have handguns,

I’m surprised to hear that... seems like everywhere I checked showed ‘out of stock’ for most pistols on their websites. Is it better to just show up at stores? Here’s an example where the first 48 guns shown are all showing Out Of Stock: https://www.huntersp...d_id=306&page=1

#11 Krippledkrapp

Krippledkrapp

Respected Gunowner

• 137 posts

Posted April 28 2020 - 08:07 PM

Dont go by their websites. Call or stop in
  • dabassman, only7rounds and merrick777 like this

#12 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 29 2020 - 01:25 PM

Anyone know if Kwak's in Bellmore is open?  When I called I got their answering machine which just rattled off their hours.

#13 Dakhath

Dakhath

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWestbury

Posted April 29 2020 - 06:55 PM

Many of the local shops can/will order what you want. Give them a call to figure out in store logistics.

No matter where you make the purchase, you will need to:

1)pass a background check and pay for the handgun , you will receive a purchase receipt with the nics pass number (if you pass)

2) this will need to go to the Nassau County Police Department's handgun license bureau (i'm assuming you're in Merrick). Once you pay the fee, they'll add the serial number to your permit, and will give you a letter for the FFL.

3)With this letterand updated permit, you can go to the FFL and pickup your new handgun

Your time is probably worth more than two trips to Brooklyn and definitely worth more than two trips to Fort Drum (especially with tolls).

In comparison, Michael Britt Firearms is two blocks away from the Nassau County license bureau, Hunters Essentials and SPGuns are ~10-15 minutes away.

• merrick777 likes this

#14 merrick777

merrick777

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 30 2020 - 10:29 AM

@Dakhath, Great post, great info... thanks! Yeah, based on the process, I'm now thinking it's best to visit Britt and get honed in on the piece that I'll end up buying as soon as I get my permit. Then buy from him, quick trip over to Nassau County, then back to him to pick up. Sounds like this is all doable within one afternoon.

#15 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3326 posts

Posted May 05 2020 - 09:46 PM

Some shops will add a charge if it is a handgun they can get from their distribution network. Call first and ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users