What is Maximum Magazine Capacity for Semi-Auto Shotgun in NY now - Semi-Auto [Shotguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What is Maximum Magazine Capacity for Semi-Auto Shotgun in NY now

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tacguy

Tacguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted April 28 2020 - 11:50 AM

Under the NY SAFE act from 2013  (which has been amended several times due to judicial rulings) , what is the maximum legal Magazine capacity/number of rounds that can be put into said magazine) for a semi-automatic shotgun?

When the SAFE act was first enacted, it restricted the maximum magazine capacity (and maximum rounds) to 7, but that was amended in 2014 and again in 2015 for handguns.

I am getting conflicting info with respect to the maximum magazine capacity and maximum rounds that can be carried in a Semi-Automatic Shotgun  (at home, and at the range).

It is my understanding that since 2014, you are allowed to have up to a 10 round magazine and 10 rounds in a semi-automatic shotgun.  I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm or clarify this for me.  Thank you.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 sparks25

sparks25

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2314 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 28 2020 - 04:09 PM

Not sure but I think a semi-auto is limited to 7 in magazine capacity. That was the last I heard from the SAFE hotline. Such as it is.
I think a pump would be ok with 10 but that is just because I did not see any other specific wording except for the general SAFE 10 round magazine limitation.
Don’t even ask about mini shells. No idea.

#3 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 06:50 PM

There have not been any amendments to the SAFE ACT. That is bad info.

You can have a 10 round mag in a handgun, plus one in the chamber.

Semi shotguns appear to be limited to a 7 round mag, plus one in the chamber.

Pump shotgun should be the same limit as any other magazine - 10 rounds

#4 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 28 2020 - 06:51 PM

Not sure but I think a semi-auto is limited to 7 in magazine capacity. That was the last I heard from the SAFE hotline. Such as it is.
I think a pump would be ok with 10 but that is just because I did not see any other specific wording except for the general SAFE 10 round magazine limitation.
Don’t even ask about mini shells. No idea.

The Judge in the Western District ruled that the mag capacity is based on the stated capacity with the shells it is marked to use, so mini shells do not make the capacity illegal. HOWEVER, 11 minishells stuffed into the tube may be a cuomo crime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users