Knowledge of Bicycle Repairs and Upgrades? - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Knowledge of Bicycle Repairs and Upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 17 2020 - 01:27 PM

Wondering if anyone had any good insight or resources for bicycle repairs/maintenance/upgrades.

Was an avid mountain biker and trailer for a good portion of my life. Had a few decent Mountain bikes and beat them all up from use. I purchased my last bike maybe 8 years ago and put a ton of miles on it. The last few years, it’s been sitting in the elements. Now that I’m getting Corona Fat and Cabin Fever, I figure I would start riding again.

Everything seems to be in decent shape, except the front shocks are trashed, the chain and rear cogs are pretty damn rusted. Was thinking of dumping some money into for replacement parts and fixing it myself. Was trying search on the internet for replacement parts and can’t seem to identify what replacement components would fit. I can’t find any resource, such as one would use to find auto parts.

Some research shows that year to year models can change drastically and there’s no real standard for replacement parts. Even searching for some items that are on the bike like Shimano and Suntour have a million parts which don’t tell me if they’re compatible with my frame.

I wouldn’t mind putting $100 or so into it, but don’t want to go too much further, or I’d just get a new bike. However, my wife will be nagging that I should’ve brought the bike inside. Though, I would’ve gotten more nagging for having a bike in the house.

I’m hesitate to reach out to any of the local bicycle stores as I remember them being ultra snobby around here. Plus, I won’t pay them to do the work themselves.

Figure I’d check here since LI has some nice trails.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 NYCxJACK

NYCxJACK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 20 2020 - 03:14 PM

Fellow mountain biker here. Where are you located?  What exactly do you think you need? I may have some spare parts you can have/use.  If we weren't doing this whole safe distancing thing, etc. - I'd even come help you repair your bike and hit some trails together. There are definitely some nice trails out here on the island.

Wondering if anyone had any good insight or resources for bicycle repairs/maintenance/upgrades.

Was an avid mountain biker and trailer for a good portion of my life. Had a few decent Mountain bikes and beat them all up from use. I purchased my last bike maybe 8 years ago and put a ton of miles on it. The last few years, it’s been sitting in the elements. Now that I’m getting Corona Fat and Cabin Fever, I figure I would start riding again.

Everything seems to be in decent shape, except the front shocks are trashed, the chain and rear cogs are pretty damn rusted. Was thinking of dumping some money into for replacement parts and fixing it myself. Was trying search on the internet for replacement parts and can’t seem to identify what replacement components would fit. I can’t find any resource, such as one would use to find auto parts.

Some research shows that year to year models can change drastically and there’s no real standard for replacement parts. Even searching for some items that are on the bike like Shimano and Suntour have a million parts which don’t tell me if they’re compatible with my frame.

I wouldn’t mind putting $100 or so into it, but don’t want to go too much further, or I’d just get a new bike. However, my wife will be nagging that I should’ve brought the bike inside. Though, I would’ve gotten more nagging for having a bike in the house.

I’m hesitate to reach out to any of the local bicycle stores as I remember them being ultra snobby around here. Plus, I won’t pay them to do the work themselves.

Figure I’d check here since LI has some nice trails.

• thetalonguy likes this

#3 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 20 2020 - 05:44 PM

Fellow mountain biker here. Where are you located? What exactly do you think you need? I may have some spare parts you can have/use. If we weren't doing this whole safe distancing thing, etc. - I'd even come help you repair your bike and hit some trails together. There are definitely some nice trails out here on the island.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I’ve been in Bethpage for over 25 years, so I’ve had excellent access to great trails. Spent a lot of time deep in them through middle and high school.

This bike was an entry level Trek. I wasn’t doing as much deep trails with it as much as the paved trails from Massapequa through Syosset. I preferred the heavier frame with this one as I felt it got a better work out. I did run out of gearing on some of the downhill sections though.

Here’s the bike.
https://bikepedia.co...px?item=9258534

The front fork shocks are definitely shot. One side’s sleeve popped out. Was considering just getting a new complete front fork Definitely need a new chain. And would like to replace the rear cassette cogs. The brakes and derailleur probably can just use a tune up.

Thanks for the offer of helping fix. I’m very mechanical and have been an avid home auto mechanic for over 20 years. So I’ve pretty much accumulated every tool and learned plenty of new swear language.

I wouldn’t mind ordering these parts and installing them myself under this lockdown. I’ve just found it hard to determine what parts will fit. Considering the bike is a bit older now, I can’t find the same parts. I’m sure there are some interchangeable parts, but I’m not sure what’s compatible. Was on various online bike parts sites, but still scratch my head at what will fit.

Most people seem to say it’s not worth it and to just save up for a new bike instead. For what I was doing, this bike fit the bill and this is more about replacing than upgrading. So I have no problem putting a little bit of money into it to get back and running.

Thanks for reading.

#4 gunpoliticsny

gunpoliticsny

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley

Posted April 21 2020 - 06:11 AM

I had my entry level MTB rebuilt so the only thing left is the frame.  I had a shop put in a RockShox XC 32 TK Solo Air shock.  It was like $150 plus installation.

• thetalonguy likes this

#5 yossarianlives

yossarianlives

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21 2020 - 08:37 AM

I think you will be well in over 100, probably like 300 assuming everything else is OK afterto being left outside. Your biggest cost will be the fork. The fork according to the bikeopedia link  has a 1 1/8 steerer tube x 26 inch wheel. The Rockshox mentioned above is good. There are very few choices left in that steerer/wheel size these days. 

The bikepedia link you posted also says you have a 3x7 drivetrain. You would need:

7 speed freewheel or cassette (20 bucks?) I can't tell from bikepedia of you have a free wheel or a free hub, but probaby a freewheel.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qcgz3-XyNkI tells you the difference

7 speed chain (15 bucks?)

Brake/shift cables (25 bucks?)

Fork  (200 bucks?)

Plus a few special tools if you DIY. 

Shimano freewheel tool and chain whip to remove rear gears(25 bucks?)

• thetalonguy likes this

#6 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1984 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted April 21 2020 - 09:44 AM

Check out this place.

The shop is in a small garage, not snobby at all.

Smithtown, NY

Edited by Incognito, April 21 2020 - 09:44 AM.

• thetalonguy likes this

#7 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 21 2020 - 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight.

Thanks Yossarian, that video helped clear that up pretty easily. I do have a 7 speed free wheel cog set.

I was poking around on modernbike.com for parts last few days and was looking at these parts.

SR Suntour XCT-DS 26”, 1 1/8 threadless 100 mm travel for $70. Assuming no where as good a Rockshox, but at half the price could be a reasonable replacement

https://www.modernbi...s?search=640466

Then was thinking this freewheel might fit. Shimano TZ500 14-28t $25

https://www.modernbi...s?search=301600

Saw this rear derailleur for only $19, so if compatible, then why not
Shimano Altus M310 7/8 speed

https://www.modernbi...s?search=427886

Was trying to figure out chains and seems like 3/32” might work. Maybe this one? $10

https://www.modernbi...s?search=793485

Found the Shimano splines freewheel removal tool for $19.

My cart is at about $150; before comparing prices against other sites. I would be okay within this realm plus below. But getting into the upper $200’s would probably sway me to new bike territory.

Not sure what basic chain tool would work or what to look for on the cables.

Thanks Incognito, I’ll check into this shop.

#8 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2145 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 21 2020 - 12:57 PM

Keep in mind for your freewheel/cassette that for your shifter to click onto the correct gear, the spacing must match, and there have been at least two (that I am aware of) spacing systems you can find for 7 speed freewheels.  A Shimano SIS shifter must be matched with a Shimano rear derailleur, but must also be matched with the correct cog.  Shimano's spacing between gears is not linear.  They use different width shims between different gears.

Also, the sides of the tooth profile on a Shimano cog has notches meant to interact with shapes embossed into Shimano Hyperglide chains.  Use a SRAM chain, and you may or may not have shifting issues.

• thetalonguy likes this

#9 gunpoliticsny

gunpoliticsny

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley

Posted April 21 2020 - 01:01 PM

If it's time to replace the drivetrain get rid of the 3x7 and go with either a 2x10 which I have or a 1x10.

#10 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2145 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 21 2020 - 01:29 PM

If it's time to replace the drivetrain get rid of the 3x7 and go with either a 2x10 which I have or a 1x10.

You're going down a slippery slope.  Doing that requires new wheels, which may then require new brakes.

• thetalonguy likes this

#11 gunpoliticsny

gunpoliticsny

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley

Posted April 21 2020 - 02:39 PM

You don't need to replace the rear wheel, just the cassette.

#12 yossarianlives

yossarianlives

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21 2020 - 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight.

Thanks Yossarian, that video helped clear that up pretty easily. I do have a 7 speed free wheel cog set.

I was poking around on modernbike.com for parts last few days and was looking at these parts.

SR Suntour XCT-DS 26”, 1 1/8 threadless 100 mm travel for $70. Assuming no where as good a Rockshox, but at half the price could be a reasonable replacement
Correct, very low end but should fit your frame. The 'travel' (100mm) may be longer than your fork has which may raise the front end of the bike an inch or so. Good video on fork swap here.      https://www.youtube....h?v=rUX_cTuk3O8
https://www.modernbi...s?search=640466

Then was thinking this freewheel might fit. Shimano TZ500 14-28t $25

That's good. check the range on your bike now but I'd want a wider range,maybe 14-32/34 teeth just in case. Just my personal preference.

https://www.modernbi...s?search=301600

Saw this rear derailleur for only $19, so if compatible, then why not
Shimano Altus M310 7/8 speed
That should fit as well. 
https://www.modernbi...s?search=427886

Was trying to figure out chains and seems like 3/32” might work. Maybe this one? $10

That should work as well

https://www.modernbi...s?search=793485

Found the Shimano splines freewheel removal tool for $19.

My cart is at about $150; before comparing prices against other sites. I would be okay within this realm plus below. But getting into the upper $200’s would probably sway me to new bike territory.

Not sure what basic chain tool would work or what to look for on the cables.

Chain tool

https://www.modernbi...rute-chain-tool

Cables would be standard shimano MTB shifter and MTB brake cables.

https://www.modernbi...using-set-black

https://www.modernbi...cable-set-black

Again, not 100 percent sure but those parts should be a direct swap and get you back on the road on a budget. 

Also, a similar but updated new bike is about $450.

https://www.trekbike...?colorCode=grey

Thanks Incognito, I’ll check into this shop.

• thetalonguy likes this

#13 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2145 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 21 2020 - 02:56 PM

You don't need to replace the rear wheel, just the cassette.

He says he has a freewheel.  You cannot just slap any different width freewheel onto that wheel.  The hub will need to be changed.  A 9 speed cassette is wider than a 7 speed freewheel, so even the spoke geometry is different.  It's not just the chain with that changes with the number of gears.

• thetalonguy likes this

#14 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 21 2020 - 05:22 PM

Awesome, Thanks Yossarian!

I feel much better about this. Found the same Shimano but with 14-34t on the site. Plus found a $15 coupon and free shipping.

I removed the rear derailleur from my cart at the moment. Mine seems like it’s in good shape. I can add a replacement later on. All in I should be around $135 in parts.

I’m fine with adding smaller things if I need to.

Thanks all!

#15 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2020 - 03:00 PM

She lives!!! Spent the last couple days putting her back together.

Relubed and repacked both sets of wheel bearings and added a set of new brakes pads while at it.

Just need to put on the new shifter cables, but was anxious to get out and test her out.

Everything seems to running in good order. Rides just like it did new.

The only two things I wish I knew that I needed a new star nut for the new fork/tube. Didn’t realize a new one didn't come with it. And that the freewheel removal tool took a 27mm socket.

Thanks so much for all your input! BTW, that RJ the Bike Guy Youtube channel is amazing. They guy has an easy way to fix everything!

Attached Thumbnails

• E0A37E00-65E2-468C-AF28-5F3B2BD16F15.jpeg

• gunpoliticsny likes this

#16 yossarianlives

yossarianlives

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 05 2020 - 05:42 PM

Glad it worked out, nice job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users