Rotors - Car / Truck talk - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Rotors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2931 posts

Posted April 13 2020 - 08:04 PM

Is there a good machine shop on LI that can cut rotors ?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1355 posts

Posted April 13 2020 - 08:09 PM

I don't know about Long Island but all the guys I know who own shops here in Westchester say that remanufactured ones are so cheap now they just don't cut them anymore.

• TJ Ironhorse, Tom Mac and rlitman like this

#3 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 358 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted April 13 2020 - 09:49 PM

Just curious if you looked at the new replacement cost; I.e Rockauto.com. Sometimes it’s almost as cheap as machining your old ones. Plus, you can remove and replace in the same day instead of waiting to get back from machine shop.

I never had my rotors cut, but had a flywheel resurfaced at the machine shop next to S&K speed on RT 109. Might have been like 5 years ago now, but I thought I saw it was like $25/rotor.

#4 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• 444 posts
  • LocationEX--Long Islander

Posted April 14 2020 - 08:44 AM

Just buy new.

• rlitman likes this

#5 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2145 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 14 2020 - 10:32 AM

Just buy new.

+1 for new.

In years past, you could bring your rotors to a shop and have them turned on a lathe for $5 or so.  But it just doesn't make any sense to do that.  Aside from thinning your rotors needlessly, you're leaving them with a grooved surface that will not bed your new pads as quickly.  New rotors have a "dual directional grind" pattern that is not lathe turned.  This wear pattern (much like the honing done to new cylinder bores) ensures that your pads bed to the rotors as quickly and with as little friction material loss as possible.  That's well worth the extra few bucks of just buying new rotors.

• TJ Ironhorse and scaryblackplastic like this

#6 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24560 posts

Posted April 15 2020 - 01:43 PM

+1 for new.

In years past, you could bring your rotors to a shop and have them turned on a lathe for $5 or so.  But it just doesn't make any sense to do that.  Aside from thinning your rotors needlessly, you're leaving them with a grooved surface that will not bed your new pads as quickly.  New rotors have a "dual directional grind" pattern that is not lathe turned.  This wear pattern (much like the honing done to new cylinder bores) ensures that your pads bed to the rotors as quickly and with as little friction material loss as possible.  That's well worth the extra few bucks of just buying new rotors.

any auto mechanic or auto machinist worth their salt puts a non-directional finish on the rotors before taking them off the lathe.. If you don't, you run the risk of pad bounce as the pads try to follow the "Record groove" left by the lathe. If new, QUALITY rotors are available, that's the better way to go. Cut many drums and rotors over the years, sold my Ammco 4000 when I moved

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users